Someone enlighten me...

vthokies4life

I got a ticket today going to class. I was coming out of a 35 mph zone into a 25 and the cop clocked me at 40. He was sitting right where the sign was that made it a 25 mph zone. Obviously I slowed when I saw his car, but he put on the lights as soon as I got close to the 25 mph sign. The ticket stayed at 40, but as it reads on the ticket, "40 mph in a 25 mph zone". Am I allowed to call bull [censored] on this guy? If not, what's next for me?

Guest BEAVERTAIL

I think its time for UVAobserver to make a reappearance and shed some light on the subject...

I have no clue what your next step would be... you could go to court, but id imagine court costs would be pricey...

sounds like Barney was out at checkpoint chicky again...

Best thing to do is take some pics with you and go to court...when things start you can request a jury trial...probably your best bet.

One word of advice tho, don't admit to going even 1mph over the speed limit because as the laws are written, even at 1mph if you admit to it, then you are guilty. The speed limit is just that, and if you break it, you have broken the law in the eyes of the court.

So if you were in a 35mph zone and going in to a 25mph zone then you can't say you were going 40 or you are screwed.

I'd request a jury trial tho, maybe they will drop it under the circumstances...but, if you do a bench trial...you are 100% screwed as the judge will just ignore whatever you say and pretty much whatever the cop says will be the final word...

you can also request a different date once the court date gets closer...they will probably try to schedule you on the cops next court day, whatever day they try to give you - request a different day..see if hey will give it to you ...probably not...but worth a shot...if the cop doesn't show up for trial then the state has no witness and the judge will probably throw it out.

...other than that, you are screwed.

PS: they will hit you with court costs either way so you might as well fight it, you have nothing to lose other than your time.

Your best bet is to pay the ticket as soon as possible without questioning it.

99.99% of the time, if you pay promptly, they will accept your payment and not turn it in on your insurance.

If you go to court to argue it, odds are not in your favor. And if the court does not rule in your favor, you will still have to pay the fine, plus court costs, and it will be turned in to your insurance company which, in all likelihood, will raise your auto insurance premium.

Also remember, its hard to argue against a police officer...his word in court means a lot more than yours to the judge...

not to be a nudgeeeee, but the thing is, there are warning signs for a drop of speed limit before it does so. whenever the speed will go from 35 to 25 there will be a warning sign in between there that states that it is going to happen. cops expect people to slow down and get to that desired speed limit before reaching the actual sign stating so.

dont believe me? i just talked to my dad, a retired police officer of 21 years.

Answering the "where" question, I was near my house in Blacksburg. I appreciate what you all have to say. The other question, how does insurance stuff typically go? I'm still on my parents insurance and I don't want to make them pay crap loads of money. Also, I was just thinking about doing the "driving school". One of my friends who has done that said that afterward I'll be on a 6 month probation period but the insurance company wouldn't hear about it and I wouldn't have anything on my record. Can anyone confirm these statements? Obviously, as you can tell, thus is my first time through this process. I appreciate the help.

When I got my first ticket I requested that I be allowed to go to driving school. He allowed me to, so I went to the class and the ticket was dropped. That was, however, for a reckless driving ticket from a single car accident that I had. Also, my senior year in high school I was dumb and got two speeding ticket within one month. I went to court for one, but didn’t fight it, and I prepaid the other. My insurance never went up. I did, however, have to go to driving school again, this time it was mandated by the DMV. I also had my license suspended for 90 days because I was under 18 when I got the tickets.

[ QUOTE ]

Answering the "where" question, I was near my house in Blacksburg. I appreciate what you all have to say. The other question, how does insurance stuff typically go? I'm still on my parents insurance and I don't want to make them pay crap loads of money. Also, I was just thinking about doing the "driving school". One of my friends who has done that said that afterward I'll be on a 6 month probation period but the insurance company wouldn't hear about it and I wouldn't have anything on my record. Can anyone confirm these statements? Obviously, as you can tell, thus is my first time through this process. I appreciate the help.

[/ QUOTE ]When I went to court for mine the judge gave me 25 hours of community service, mandated driving school, and a year probation. But it didn't get counted on the insurance.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm telling you...pay the ticket ASAP and they won't turn it in to your insurance company. Turning it in requires doing paper work and if they can collect the fine in a timely manner, they won't worry about the paper work...TRUST ME...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]When I went to court for mine the judge gave me 25 hours of community service, mandated driving school, and a year probation. But it didn't get counted on the insurance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dang! All for a speeding ticket?

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

damn I got less than that for my dui haha...