UNC @ DUKE (Round 2)

seth_hill

Guest BEAVERTAIL

Since the last UNC game, UNC has won 6 straight, and every player has stepped it up without ty lawson. The team against duke is not the same team as they are now. Each player has stepped up accordingly, especially Quentin Thomas and Ty Lawson.

The last duke game most of their threes were created by someone driving in from the top of the key and dishing out... Well, i dont see that happeneing this time. Ty Lawson is back, as well as his little known stellar defense. He will shut down penetration pretty much limiting duke to getting those wide open threes in the corner.

Lets not forget, Paulus had the game of his life. He wasnt setting his feet, he was falling sideways, and was making shots. Lets not forget he wasnt the turnover machine he usually is.

UNC is a helluva lot better than the last time these two met, Duke is not. They have lost 2 of the games since then, both to bubble teams. Its just not in the cards for duke fellas, this one goes to UNC, easily.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paulus has not been a turnover machine at all this season. He was last year, but that is because he had no one to give the ball too. And his 3 point shooting has been terrific all season, especially at home, and i dont see it changing anytime soon.

[ QUOTE ]

Paulus has not been a turnover machine at all this season. He was last year, but that is because he had no one to give the ball too. And his 3 point shooting has been terrific all season, especially at home, and i dont see it changing anytime soon.

[/ QUOTE ]They said he has the best assist to turnover ratio in the ACC

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]They said he has the best assist to turnover ratio in the ACC

[/ QUOTE ]

his ratio is 2.2:1.

Quentin thomas, the backup pg for UNC, is 2:1 during ACC play.

Ty Lawson is 2.6:1 for the season.

in addition, cliff hammonds from clemson is 2.3:1.

James Dews from miami also has a 2.3:1.

There are plenty of others around 2:1... I dont know where they got he was the best in the ACC...

Guest BEAVERTAIL

From the ACC stat page...

ASSIST/TURNOVER RATIO (Min. 3.0 assists/game)

## Player-Team Cl G Asst Avg Turn Avg Ratio

---------------------------------------------------------------

1.Ty Lawson-NC............. SO 22 125 5.7 50 2.3 2.50

2.Cliff Hammonds-CU........ SR 28 109 3.9 48 1.7 2.27

3.Greg Paulus-DU........... JR 28 97 3.5 45 1.6 2.16

4.Eric Hayes-MD............ SO 27 125 4.6 65 2.4 1.92

5.Hank Thorns-VT........... FR 28 95 3.4 50 1.8 1.90

6.Ishmael Smith-WF......... SO 27 132 4.9 78 2.9 1.69

7.Quentin Thomas-NC........ SR 27 85 3.1 51 1.9 1.67

8.Maurice Miller-GT........ FR 25 83 3.3 53 2.1 1.57

9.Matt Causey-GT........... SR 26 94 3.6 62 2.4 1.52

10.Greivis Vasquez-MD....... SO 30 202 6.7 135 4.5 1.50

J. Dews did not have enough assists to qualify...

this does not reflect the game last night for UNC as well, thats the difference between Lawson's 2.5, and 2.6...

[ QUOTE ]

this does not reflect the game last night for UNC as well, thats the difference between Lawson's 2.5, and 2.6...

[/ QUOTE ]I didn't know the stats, I was just saying what the announcers said on the Duke-UVA game.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I didn't know the stats, I was just saying what the announcers said on the Duke-UVA game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, i was just showing how ignorant announcers can be and say whatever they want... Especially Len Ellmore and Mike patrick, their love for Greg Paulus amazes me. I laugh at their B.S. as I type this, and yes they are talking about paulus...lol

If there were an award for the worst sports broadcaster in today's time, it would without a doubt be Mike Patrick. I can't stand listening to him rambling off nonsense no matter who is playing...

oh he's terrible. But idk about him being the worst. The two guys that do college football on CBS are, in my opinion, the worst. All they would do was insult the teams, then once they did good they would be their biggest fans. it made me so mad.

Lawson wasnt much of a factor as Greene really showed up to play tonight. A good victory for UNC and if they play like this for the rest of this year, which I feel truly is to their potential, they can win it all. Duke just looked flat. Poor shot selection early really killed them and set a bad tone for the rest of the game. Greene and Hansbrough played very well tonight for the Heels and if they can steady that approach in the ACC tourney and into the dance, they have a legit shot to win it all.

Yes, but a small one. Nowhere near the impact of what people were making of his playing in this game to come out to be. Greene having a good game is what won this for Carolina. I said on here in an earlier post that UNC could have Lawson all they wanted but without Green and Ellington being able to hit shots, they wouldnt win. Tonight, Ellington and Greene did just that.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

10 points 3 assists, and a few steals in clutch situations (ESPN does not count steals nor turnovers on their live page) Lawson was definitely a factor. his speed made a huge difference in wearing down duke and stopping penetration.

Quentin Thomas has also improved greatly since the last time these two met. Ellington has never played well against duke until tonight either. Green did hit his shots. However, UNC is just a better team now than then. Duke is not.

BTW, I loved it when paulus got t-bagged. Again. grin.gif

Ellington and Green got better looks at the basket this game. Why? Lawson was running the show. You can claim that Lawson didn't make that big of a difference if you like, but you'll be wrong no matter how many times you say it. The PG in basketball is exactly like the QB in football, he directs the offense. Carolina played the last game with only one true PG available, who was the 3rd string PG at the beginning of the season. Ask yourself this, how would Bluefield have did during the football season if they had to play with their 3rd string QB? How would dook play without Paulus and Smith at PG? Lawson's impact goes well beyond points and assists. Those with a true knowledge of the game know and realize that.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

BTW, I loved it when paulus got t-bagged. Again. grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It's already on You Tube....grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I just can't get enough of it, and it seems as Paulus can't either! grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Teabag anyone?

2005443109812023193_rs.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Found this picture late last night and was going to post it on here this morning, but you beat me to it. You are looking at my computer wallpaper though!

yes I understand that just having him out there was a factor. He did put up some decent number, and in an earlier post I said that I expected him to play well, but he wasnt as HUGE a factor as everyone was making his return out to be. His return did help matters though, I couldnt agree more. Its like Leonardo Dicapprio's quote in Catch Me If You Can. "Why cant anyone beat the Yankees? Theyre too busy staring at the pinstripes." With Lawson in the game, just knowing that affected Duke. He wasnt as big a factor as he was made out to be, but yes, he definitely was one.