BDT Article on Coach Jackson

MavsRock

Saw this on the "new" coach. What little doubt there was that the single wing has flown out of Monroe Co. should now be completely gone.

Jackson was right about one thing, football is hard to get out of your system. He was at alot of games the last 5 years, you could tell he missed it.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Did he say what the new offense would be?

[/ QUOTE ]

A weaker schedule...

[/ QUOTE ]

We're not playing Graham, so it won't be that weak....

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A weaker schedule...

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pike View should suffice.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A weaker schedule...

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pike View should suffice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Be just fine....

From reading it, it sounds like it's going to be pretty much everything that was run prior to Witt showing up. On a side note, I noticed that the game between Narrows and JM has been moved to what used to be the Pocahontas week on the schedule. The leads me to believe that Narrows has already picked up someone else. But who?

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A weaker schedule...

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right, you won't be playing Graham because no one at James Monroe had the guts to return our phone calls when we were looking for a game, you bunch of yellow cowards.Go beat up on Narrows and Pikeview.

[ QUOTE ]

We're not playing Graham....

[/ QUOTE ]

And now for the rest of the story...

[ QUOTE ]

...because we're afraid to play them...they called us to see if we would play them but we wouldn't return their calls...

[/ QUOTE ]

Good day...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

...because we're afraid to play them...they called us to see if we would play them but we wouldn't return their calls...

[/ QUOTE ]

Good day...

[/ QUOTE ]

Graham called us, but I told them no. After Bluefield gets through beating them up, they should get an easier game....

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good day...

[/ QUOTE ]

Graham called us, but I told them no. After Bluefield gets through beating them up, they should get an easier game....

[/ QUOTE ]

That was weak, like I said go beat up on Narrows and Pikeview so you can thump your chest and tell everyone how great you are. And when you do, we will all laugh at you like we always have.

they just saw that Graham is a physical team that Bluefield hasnt beat up on too much recently...and JM has NOOOOO room to talk about Graham getting beat up by Bluefield...how many state titles does JM have?? how many wins does JM have in recent history (past 4 or 5 seasons)...thank you

http://www.bdtonline.com/archivesearch/local_story_095222318.html

Guess it would've been nice to have included the link to the story, I need to start previewing my posts a little more often.

To the few folks at Graham who are accusing JM of being "afraid" to play them, give it a rest. Do you really think we're playing Bluefield every year if we're afraid of Graham, quit flatering yourselves.

Plus all that, don't think that Jackson will intentionally schedule weak teams. Anyone who knows anything about the business part of sports know that at the HS level the athletic director has as much and in most cases, more authority in scheduling than the coach, and until this past year, Danny Wickline was the AD over Witt and Jackson, so ironically, Witt will still play a major role with the program, just not the play-calling.

If it were totally upto me the schedule would look something like this:

Bluefield

Princeton

Greenbrier East

Woodrow Wilson

Giles

Wyoming East

Mount View

Graham

Oak Hill

Nicholas Co.

But, unfortanetly, I don't rule the world-yet, so it is what it is.

Someone asked what offense Jackson runs, it's a little of everything-I, Wing T, Double Wing, Shotgun 4and 5WR, Pro-set. Whereas the Single Wing under Witt relied primarily on the O-Line, Jackson's schemes are somewhat more QB-centric. Several teams under Jackson at JM and Peterstown had good success with sub-par passing games, but if you have a good passer like say, Chad Johnston, it's very hard to prepare for defensively. It doesn't alawys work this way, but Jackson typically like to go 50-50 run-pass.

[ QUOTE ]

To the few folks at Graham who are accusing JM of being "afraid" to play them, give it a rest. Do you really think we're playing Bluefield every year if we're afraid of Graham, quit flatering yourselves.

Plus all that, don't think that Jackson will intentionally schedule weak teams. Anyone who knows anything about the business part of sports know that at the HS level the athletic director has as much and in most cases, more authority in scheduling than the coach, and until this past year, Danny Wickline was the AD over Witt and Jackson, so ironically, Witt will still play a major role with the program, just not the play-calling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Graham was needing a tenth game for this upcoming season as was/is James Monroe. Both teams had the same date open. Doug Marrs called James Monroe's AD to see if they could work something out. The JM AD said and I quote "I'll have to check with the coach and get back to you." HE NEVER CALLED BACK. Doug even called him back to find out if they would/could play before he began searching for another school to play but the AD "wasn't in" and never returned that call either.

THIS IS FACT...

[ QUOTE ]

I never thought I'd see the day the Shotgun offense was ran in Monroe Co.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you think the single wing is?

We did it some under Jackson with Ben Thornton and Nick Newberry in 98, 99, 2001 and 2002. Like I said earlier though, it was just part of the puzzle.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Graham was needing a tenth game for this upcoming season as was/is James Monroe. Both teams had the same date open. Doug Marrs called James Monroe's AD to see if they could work something out. The JM AD said and I quote "I'll have to check with the coach and get back to you." HE NEVER CALLED BACK. Doug even called him back to find out if they would/could play before he began searching for another school to play but the AD "wasn't in" and never returned that call either.

THIS IS FACT...

[/ QUOTE ]

Notice the silence after that post.........Yup, they're skeered......

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

THIS IS FACT...

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know who would have been considered the coach at that time since Witt had already decided to step down and his replacement hadn't yet been hired. I think, though, that pretty much all of the fans here in Monroe would enjoy a game with Graham. I, for one, wish it would have happened.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

THIS IS FACT...

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know who would have been considered the coach at that time since Witt had already decided to step down and his replacement hadn't yet been hired. I think, though, that pretty much all of the fans here in Monroe would enjoy a game with Graham. I, for one, wish it would have happened.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, Graham contacted James Monroe concerning scheduling a game in early January (it was either January 8th or 9th)...Witt resigned in late January, at least two weeks after Graham had contacted them. Even still, the AD could have scheduled Graham anyway if he had the balls to do it...but I don't guess that's too common when it comes to James Monroe football...

Witt may have officially retired in January, but I had heard early in the season that he would be retiring after the season was over so I think it's safe to say that he's known for a while he was leaving. The part as to who would take over remained to be seen though. As for Narrows, it typically makes for a good gate game and a school needs at least a couple of those each season. Plus Narrows and JM (the Peterstown part of JM, that is) go way back so there's a rivalry there. In my opinion, though, that series is probably nearing an end.

[ QUOTE ]

Witt may have officially retired in January, but I had heard early in the season that he would be retiring after the season was over so I think it's safe to say that he's known for a while he was leaving. The part as to who would take over remained to be seen though. As for Narrows, it typically makes for a good gate game and a school needs at least a couple of those each season. Plus Narrows and JM (the Peterstown part of JM, that is) go way back so there's a rivalry there. In my opinion, though, that series is probably nearing an end.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe you're probably right. I can remember those games - hard-hitting, heated contests (not confined just to the field, either. wink.gif) But those days seem gone for now and continuing to play Narrows only hurts JM as far as playoffs are concerned. I don't understand why we would not schedule Graham. I don't believe Graham "skeers" us so much that we wouldn't play, considering we play Bluefield, Scott and Wayne. I actually think the Graham game could develop into a really good rivalry, just like Bluefield has for us.

James Monroe don't owe Graham a thing. With the attitude that the Graham folks have on this board, I'm glad we don't play Graham. If Graham was so great, your players wouldn't be going over to Bluefield to play. We can play the Graham kids when we play Bluefield.