Merrill Gainer

Bogeavers

Bluefield High School has been blessed to have some great high school coaches in their rich history. The two most talked about now are of course Fred Simon and John Chmara. Chmara has had the field named in honor of him and Coach Simon will probably have something named in his honor one day. My question is, why isn't anything named for the late, great Merrill Gainer. Coach Gainer is a legendary high school coach yet nothing in Bluefield is named in his honor. While coaching at Bluefield from 1959-1968 he amased an amazing record of 87-6-1, recorded 5 unbeaten seasons and brought 4 state championships to Bluefield. I am just wondering why nothing is named in his honor...

What are yalls thoughts?

merrill gainer was a great coach! he instilled in willis white a lot of the same values and that legacy got passed on throught salem,with willis whites players,and assistant coaches.during the naming of WILLIS WHITE FIELD,he spoke the truth and told of how many times he was FIRED BY GAINER,

and how then gainer would call him up to go over the next game like nothing had ever happened.white was an defensive coordinator under gainer at patrick henry for those of you that dont know and later was head coach there before moving to salem because they stopped middle school football at PH. THESE COACHES WERE INVOLVED IN ONE OF THE GREATEST SEASONS IN VIRGINIA HIGH SCHOOL HISTORY.AFTER ANDREW LEWIS,NOW SALEM HIGH SCHOOL HAD LOST TO TC WILLIAMS,A COMBINED AAA SCHOOL IN ALEXANDRIA IN 1971 CHAMPIONSHIP,SALEM HAD ABOUT 600 STUDENTS THEN,tc williams played patrick henry with gainer and white and they shut tc williams out 9-0 in 73 championship game and only gave up 13 points the whole year.

[ QUOTE ]

Bluefield High School has been blessed to have some great high school coaches in their rich history. The two most talked about now are of course Fred Simon and John Chmara. Chmara has had the field named in honor of him and Coach Simon will probably have something named in his honor one day. My question is, why isn't anything named for the late, great Merrill Gainer. Coach Gainer is a legendary high school coach yet nothing in Bluefield is named in his honor. While coaching at Bluefield from 1959-1968 he amased an amazing record of 87-6-1, recorded 5 unbeaten seasons and brought 4 state championships to Bluefield. I am just wondering why nothing is named in his honor...

What are yalls thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are plans for a legends park at Mitchell Stadium for 2009. It will be between the south endzone fence and the concession stand. If the money can be raised, there are plans for statues of Coach Gainer,Bradley,Chmara,and Carlock. I think right now the problem will be fundraising for the statues, as I was told they cost about 10K apiece.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

What are yalls thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are plans for a legends park at Mitchell Stadium for 2009. It will be between the south endzone fence and the concession stand. If the money can be raised, there are plans for statues of Coach Gainer,Bradley,Chmara,and Carlock. I think right now the problem will be fundraising for the statues, as I was told they cost about 10K apiece.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think maybe Stadium Drive should maybe be renamed to like Gainer Boulevard or something.

The statues will be really nice too.

I have heard they are finally building new locker rooms at the stadium and this is a great, great step in making that field the top in the state.

Maybe they should charge a couple of bucks parking at Beaver and Graham games to pay for the statues. Just an idea.

Years ago, there use to be a quarter added to every ticket for games at Mitchell Stadium. If a ticket was regular 3 dollars, when you came to Mitchell, it would be 3.25. Do not see why they could not do this again. Over the course of the year, those quarters would generate some good revenue.

[ QUOTE ]

WOW!!! You can read a WHOLE lot of things into this statement!

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? I married a lady beaver...

And, having met Zack before, I think its a good thing for his son...