Transfer from Bluefield

futbolking

i think kyle had -30 yards rushing tonight, seemed like about everytime he ran he was stopped for a loss..wasnt what i was expecting from a big strong graham line, i thought they would run all over those teams..not the case for tonight at least, but it was just a scrimmage

[ QUOTE ]

i think kyle had -30 yards rushing tonight, seemed like about everytime he ran he was stopped for a loss..wasnt what i was expecting from a big strong graham line, i thought they would run all over those teams..not the case for tonight at least, but it was just a scrimmage

[/ QUOTE ]LOL look at the teams we faced lol ..there is no weak team up there...we know we have some work to do.

In year's past, Graham owned Christiansburg and Bassett...my, how the times have apparently changed. I think those two programs have come a long way in the past few years and Graham may have fallen off just a little. I'd love to see Graham return to the status that they once held. Teams don't seem to be intimidated by Graham.

[ QUOTE ]

In year's past, Graham owned Christiansburg and Bassett...my, how the times have apparently changed. I think those two programs have come a long way in the past few years and Graham may have fallen off just a little. I'd love to see Graham return to the status that they once held. Teams don't seem to be intimidated by Graham.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why should they be intimitdated by Graham? Those are schools with 1000+ and 1200+ students playing a school with 500 or so students. When Graham dominated these two schools on the gridiron, neither school was near the size they are now. Christiansburg's enrollment has grown from around 700 to over 1000 in the past five years. Bassett's enrollment almost doubled with the closing of Fieldale-Collinsville HS. These are NOT the same schools Graham dominated 10 or so years ago.

As for Graham returning to the status they once held...you will never see Graham be competitive on the State level again as long as they are AA and playing D3 schools twice their size in the State Semifinals...

i couldnt have put that any better.Graham is a small school.alot of people dont look at it like we do.enrollment is a big part of the depth your team has.some of these schools have 4 or 5 good RBs and 2 or 3 QBs they can use,vs a small school that has their best athletes going both ways.it makes it difficult to compete with bigger schools,but Graham does their best and takes the toughest schedule rather than an easy one.

I realize the changes in enrollment at these two schools. Graham has competed with larger schools when the playoffs roll around for as long as I can remember. I personally don't believe enrollment is the only factor. Cromer has really changed things up at Christiansburg. Talking with some of the football players a few years back...football up there was a joke and the coach wasn't a strong disciplinarian. They had basically NO Wrestling team up there until they got a great coach. Bassett always had a problem with being a disciplined team until recently. Graham has always prided itself on being able to compete with the "big boys". Those days may be over, but I don't think it's entirely because of the enrollment difference. I think a lot of it has to do with the attitude of the kids at the school. Where's that "G-Men Pride"? Where's the intensity on the field. I didn't see it last year...

Do you honestly think that Graham could've even competed in the playoffs at the D-2 level the past few seasons?? I don't think they would have made it very far.

the only thing i can say about that is carlock is gone.i cannot say anthing else because if i did it wouldnt be proper of me,and i sure dont want to HURT anyones feelings on here or disrespect anyone.

I just believe that if Richlands can do it....Marion can do it....Graham can do it...anybody in the district can do it...but it's going to take good coaching, hard work and discipline. A lot of it is attitude, also.

Marion has a new head coach and I think the attitude in Marion is starting to change. It'll be interesting to see how things develop over the next few years.

[ QUOTE ]

I realize the changes in enrollment at these two schools. Graham has competed with larger schools when the playoffs roll around for as long as I can remember. I personally don't believe enrollment is the only factor. Cromer has really changed things up at Christiansburg. Talking with some of the football players a few years back...football up there was a joke and the coach wasn't a strong disciplinarian. They had basically NO Wrestling team up there until they got a great coach. Bassett always had a problem with being a disciplined team until recently. Graham has always prided itself on being able to compete with the "big boys". Those days may be over, but I don't think it's entirely because of the enrollment difference. I think a lot of it has to do with the attitude of the kids at the school. Where's that "G-Men Pride"? Where's the intensity on the field. I didn't see it last year...

Do you honestly think that Graham could've even competed in the playoffs at the D-2 level the past few seasons?? I don't think they would have made it very far.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting you ask that.....in 05 they would have competed. I think, and no disrespect to anyone when I say this if Graham was division 2 at the time I think they would have been state champions in 2001,2002,and 2003. I know GW won the 02 title, but as good as they were they weren't better than our 02 team.

If it weren't for 7 turnovers in 20 below weather, Floyd County would've been the 2002 State Champs, in my opinion. Graham was good, but that Floyd County team was unbelievable that year, posting 8 shutouts (similar to the 89 Graham team)...Only difference, Floyd's 7 turnover game came in the playoffs...Graham's came during the regular season at Salem.

I got the opportunity to see both of those teams that year...and Ahmad Bradshaw, or not...Floyd wins that one hands down.

George Wythe was VERY fortunate to come out with a win against Floyd that year. Their QB "Throckmorton" had his world rocked several times that night. A punt for negative yardage and a fumble by a Floyd rb going into the endzone also contributed to their self-destruction that night. I was never more sure of a team winning state that year, only to see it fumbled away.

I agree however, that in 05, Graham could have made a run. And they would've definitely made a run in 02...but, I don't believe they were better than Floyd (or Radford...that year). Floyd and Radford both entered the last game at 9-0 that year ranked # 1 & # 2 in the state.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, they would have, especially at the State level games. As a matter of fact, all the schools that are "eligible" to play at the D2 level would be much more competitive in D2 than they are/were in D3.

Its time for the administrators of those schools to swallow their pride and let the kids have a FAIR opportunity to compete against schools of similar size instead of the 1000+ student schools that are beginning to dominate the D3 level.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, they would have, especially at the State level games. As a matter of fact, all the schools that are "eligible" to play at the D2 level would be much more competitive in D2 than they are/were in D3.

Its time for the administrators of those schools to swallow their pride and let the kids have a FAIR opportunity to compete against schools of similar size instead of the 1000+ student schools that are beginning to dominate the D3 level.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree totally. Furthermore I think these D-2 schools fans think that they would dominate D-3 schools. But correct me if I am wrong here, but all these D-2 schools that are better used to be D-3 or AA? Didn't they also drop down a level rather than compete with tougher competition? Futbolking, I know you and respect your opinion, but not in this matter. Graham/Tazewell/Grundy stayed when they could have left and didn't. And it isn't because we are scared of who is in D-2. 15 years ago, it was two schools dominating D-3, Graham and Gate City. GC has faired pretty well since dropping to D-2 don't ya think. Why wouldn't Graham? Or Richlands for that matter.

Don't get me wrong, I think Graham and Richlands would do fine...but I think they would find the going tougher in D-2 than in D-3. I believe there are more quality teams in D-2 Region C and Region D (I'm not sure where Graham would end up...Region C or Region D?) then there are quality D-3 teams in Region IV. Graham and Richlands are probably the only exceptions...Tazewell for instance has performed poorly againsgt D-2 competition in the recent past. G-Man may have a point however...at the STATE level D-3 is probably more difficult, probably because in part of the size of the schools.

I believe Graham and Richlands would do well in D-2, but making the playoffs would be more difficult. I actually think there would be a step "up" in competition, which would only make each team better.

I don't think we really disagree on this. I'm talking about D-3 as a whole is not very strong as of late. I would LOVE to see Graham and Richlands drop (which is very possible). By the way, if Graham, Richlands and Grundy drop, Marion and Abingdon will follow (even though their numbers are a little bit over, I am almost positive that they will appeal to play down, because there will be no AA teams around for either of them to play).

Think of potential matchups with Giles, Gate City, Radford, Floyd, George Wythe...and the HUGE gates that these games will bring. These teams travel with thousands of fans come playoff time and I think it would generate some very exciting game...

Hey, Gretna is a D-2 school, they may be the best team Graham will face all year.

D-3 would be a good place to be if care was being taken to make sure teams were in their correct grouping. Kinda like many of the the other problems in our great county, we have regulations on the books but somehow we overlook them.

Richlands has played D-4 size schools the last three years.

Rules enforced most likely would have been playing somebody like Posquon or James Monroe, what do you think their odds would have been with those teams?

When you have enough lineman to actually have a complete offenive line and defensive line with a rotation. And your running backs and recievers aren't having to play as a corner, safety or linebacker yeah it makes a difference against a larger well coached team. There will be some years you will have some good depth, and there will be some teams just loaded with athletic players, but when your going against a bigger well coach team odds are balanced against you.

Gretna will be a good test of your hypothesis.

[ QUOTE ]

D-3 would be a good place to be if care was being taken to make sure teams were in their correct grouping. Kinda like many of the the other problems in our great county, we have regulations on the books but somehow we overlook them.

Richlands has played D-4 size schools the last three years.

Rules enforced most likely would have been playing somebody like Posquon or James Monroe, what do you think their odds would have been with those teams?

When you have enough lineman to actually have a complete offenive line and defensive line with a rotation. And your running backs and recievers aren't having to play as a corner, safety or linebacker yeah it makes a difference against a larger well coached team. There will be some years you will have some good depth, and there will be some teams just loaded with athletic players, but when your going against a bigger well coach team odds are balanced against you.

Gretna will be a good test of your hypothesis.

[/ QUOTE ]

what are the numbers that decide the class and divisions?