Graham Vs. Christiansburg

GHS71

Overall good game, fun to watch. Both teams moved the ball on each others defense's. CBurg has a bunch of speed our defense could not make the plays to stop the run. Graham had chances to score but gave the ball away with fumbles. Both teams have things to look forward too, first game everyone is a little rusty but it looks good for both. Kyle Harris is going to help this team and with him back there gives Dom. Lane confidence and makes both of them better. The "O" Line block extremely well on the run but the pass block will take some time, there was a few times that they would get confused and a man would get threw and bust the play up. But it looks good in the future.

Edited by GHS71

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For years and year, Graham could get away with lots of blitzing on defense without having tremendous speed. Years ago, coaches on offense simply didn't know as much. No internet, not as many camps, etc. In today's football world, more than a few decent high school coaches know how to compensate for blitzing and agressive defenses and make them pay for it. That's what Graham has begun to face for 3-4 years now. The same thing happened even during the late 80's,90's, and 2000's against exceptionally well coached teams liked Salem, Harrisonburg, Forest, Gretna. These teams were far ahead not only in talent, but in the offensive coaching area compared to most other SWD schools Graham faced over the year. The schools above had coaches that new how to make you pay even back then. In Today's world, communication is so easy, learning opportunities for coaches is there and more and more, coaches simply know how to handle blitzing defenses that are trying to compensate with aggressiveness due to lack of speed. That's where Graham is at and it's bad news defensively. Also...Graham better get some defensive coaching knowledge that has the ability to adjust to....constantly adjusting offenses with different formations and different looks.

Overall good game, fun to watch. Both teams moved the ball on each others defense's. CBurg has a bunch of speed our defense could not make the plays to stop the run. Graham had chances to score but gave the ball away with fumbles. Both teams have things to look forward too, first game everyone is a little rusty but it looks good for both. Kyle Harris is going to help this team and with him back there gives Dom. Lane confidence and makes both of them better. The "O" Line block extremely well on the run but the pass block will take some time, there was a few times that they would get confused and a man would get threw and bust the play up. But it looks good in the future.

The running yardard that Lane, and eventually Harris, had were in spite of the offensive line. C'burg had a defender in the backfield on nearly every play and the only thing that saved Lane was his elusive ability. And pass blocking? The majority of the time I didn't think Graham had an offensive line in the when Marrs dropped to pass the football. There were so many C'burg players coming through untouched that I thought Graham was running a screen play, but were not. The two times I recall them running screens resulted in a bad overthrow by Marrs and then #32 for Graham getting knocked in the mouth as soon as the ball arrived. And if Marrs continues to simply throw the football up for grabs when being rushed it's going to lead to some serious problems down the road.

You saw the same thing I and the people I was with saw. Graham's offensive line needs a lot of work. Overall their blocking wasn't up to par (not only the passing) as any yards Kyle and Dom were able to get were awarded to them for their elusiveness. I look forward to Harris getting more touches as he played pretty well and hopefully that can lighten the load for Lane. Kyle touched the ball maybe twice in the entire second half and with his fresh legs and running ability the Graham coaches should utilize that so Lane doesn't have to rush 25+ times every night. Also, like Rules said, if Marrs continues to just throw up the football everytime he gets flushed out of the pocket (which last night was everytime he passed the ball) it will lead to some very big problems.

On defense, Graham couldnt stop the run. Christiansburg's runners weren't tricky like Harris and Lane; they just got holes formed for them by their line and exploded. Graham's defensive line was pushed around all night as most of the tackles in the game went to Lane and Harris in the secondary. Graham had Christiansburg outsized up front, they just couldn't get the job done.

is gonna be fine.and those who think they wouldve done any better against a blue demons team that returned 16 starters from last year,put em on your schedule.the g-men showed heart and determination and stood in there and fought hard.and a couple of things to remember,lane scored the first TD of the game and it was called back.torren byrd was stripped of the ball on a long pass play.if those 2 things wouldve went differently i believe Graham wins.if you think its over for the G-Men your wrong.

No one thinks it's over for the G-Men. However, they need to get better. The holding penalty and the stripping of the ball were both Graham players fault. That first TD was called back due to an obvious hold and had Byrd been hit in stride he would have scored considering he was 10 yards behind the defensive backs of Christiansburg. If he had scored, that's 6 points to put Graham up 35-34. Both Harris and Lane showed some promise for another good Graham rushing attack if they can pick up some better blocking. Like I said before, Graham needs some work. No one is ruling them out.

Certainly Graham has lots of heart and nobody said it's "over" for Graham. But...the times hve changed. High School Football Coaches have become alot smarter due to the ease with sharing information, learning, camps, etc. Years ago, most teams had no idea what to do with several blitzing backers and 8 in the box when Graham stacked up on defense. Those days are over. You send backers to the QB 3 out of 4 plays and you are going to pay for it. Also, teams will continue to spread Graham out with several splits and run out of this formation. Simply put.......Graham's defensive coaching better start learning what the opponents offensive coaches have learned and that is.....adjusting.

No one thinks it's over for the G-Men. However, they need to get better. The holding penalty and the stripping of the ball were both Graham players fault. That first TD was called back due to an obvious hold and had Byrd been hit in stride he would have scored considering he was 10 yards behind the defensive backs of Christiansburg. If he had scored, that's 6 points to put Graham up 35-34. Both Harris and Lane showed some promise for another good Graham rushing attack if they can pick up some better blocking. Like I said before, Graham needs some work. No one is ruling them out.

The play in which Byrd was stripped of the ball inside the 20-yardline happened well before the score was 35-29. I believe it was 14-10 or 21-10 at that point.

The play in which Byrd was stripped of the ball inside the 20-yardline happened well before the score was 35-29. I believe it was 14-10 or 21-10 at that point.
I don't know what game you were watching or listening to but the score was 34-29 first of all and another we will see who needs to ajust when Graham smacks Bluefield in the mouth..don't forget the G-Men have a game under there belts they shouldnt be as nevrous against Bluefield..but we'll see ill go ahead and say Graham 35 Bluefield 14..Graham comes out and smacks them..everyone will count them out in every game they play except a couple and they proved last night that they will never quit so yeah...

I don't know what game you were watching or listening to but the score was 34-29 first of all and another we will see who needs to ajust when Graham smacks Bluefield in the mouth..don't forget the G-Men have a game under there belts they shouldnt be as nevrous against Bluefield..but we'll see ill go ahead and say Graham 35 Bluefield 14..Graham comes out and smacks them..everyone will count them out in every game they play except a couple and they proved last night that they will never quit so yeah...

Slow your roll there young fella. First, the score was 21-10 when the play we are discussing occurred, the strip after the long pass completion by Graham. Second, the score was 35-29, not 34-29. Third, if you would actually read what's being wrote and not simply assume you could follow along a lot better.

And if Graham beats Bluefield by 21 points I'll never post on this board again, ever. I'll ban myself...

Slow your roll there young fella. First, the score was 21-10 when the play we are discussing occurred, the strip after the long pass completion by Graham. Second, the score was 35-29, not 34-29. Third, if you would actually read what's being wrote and not simply assume you could follow along a lot better.

And if Graham beats Bluefield by 21 points I'll never post on this board again, ever. I'll ban myself...

Actually, not to nitpick but it was 34-29. And about the never posting again thing.......too bad we can't turn the clock back to 2001.........lol

Actually, not to nitpick but it was 34-29. And about the never posting again thing.......too bad we can't turn the clock back to 2001.........lol

You are correct, it was 34-29. I forgot that C'burg missed an extra point early in the 4th. And Graham would need to turn back the clock to 2001 if they wanted to beat Bluefield by 21 points. If you think Christiansburg's speed gave Graham problems last night just wait until Friday night.

is gonna be fine.and those who think they wouldve done any better against a blue demons team that returned 16 starters from last year,put em on your schedule.the g-men showed heart and determination and stood in there and fought hard.and a couple of things to remember,lane scored the first TD of the game and it was called back.torren byrd was stripped of the ball on a long pass play.if those 2 things wouldve went differently i believe Graham wins.if you think its over for the G-Men your wrong.

I agree, that Graham will be fine. Anybody that was watching the game could see that Christiansburg was blitzing their linebackers on nearly every play and Graham was still getting positive yardage running the ball against a 9 and 10 man front. When Graham finally started throwing the ball, they had a lot of success with the deep pass. If the Bluefield fans on here think they will have a team this year that will be even remotely close to that Christiansburg team I saw last night, they need to get a reality check. Christiansburg was loaded with athletes. By far, the most athletic team that I have ever seen Christiansburg have in the past 35 years, at least! The thing that concerns me is that Christiansburg had over 400 yards of offense, all on the ground. But, if you saw Christiansburg's running backs, you could understand why. Of course, Graham will probably not play another team that runs so many mis-directions and that kept Graham confused and off balance. Half of the time, I had trouble finding out where the ball was.

Let's get this straight. Graham lost to a VERY GOOD team. Possibly the best team they will play this season. After hearing all of the negative things about Graham these past couple of weeks, I decided to go how good they were in person. I feel much better about them having a winning season now, after seeing them play.

w

I agree, that Graham will be fine. Anybody that was watching the game could see that Christiansburg was blitzing their linebackers on nearly every play and Graham was still getting positive yardage running the ball against a 9 and 10 man front. When Graham finally started throwing the ball, they had a lot of success with the deep pass. If the Bluefield fans on here think they will have a team this year that will be even remotely close to that Christiansburg team I saw last night, they need to get a reality check. Christiansburg was loaded with athletes. By far, the wmost athletic team that I have ever seen Christiansburg have in the past 35 years, at least! The thing that concerns me is that Christiansburg had over 400 yards of offense, all on the ground. But, if you saw Christiansburg's running backs, you could understand why. Of course, Graham will probably not play another team that runs so many mis-directions and that kept Graham confused and off balance. Half of the time, I had trouble finding out where the ball was.

Let's get this straight. Graham lost to a VERY GOOD team. Possibly the best team they will play this season. After hearing all of the negative things about Graham these past couple of weeks, I decided to go how good they were in person. I feel much better about them having a winning season now, after seeing them play.

Thank you! Christiansburg was loaded and Graham hung in there with them...They will need to fix somethings but other than that they are fine..and yes if you think Bluefield has more speed than Christiansburg your wrong..thoses back last night were just GREAT! every team that plays them will have trouble stopping them..and they returned 16 starters from that team that beat Graham 34-14..i think Graham has made an improvement from last year..ill say this to the teams that will play Graham...watch out they are the real deal Edited by superpringle2

Graham getting blown out by anyone this year.yes they have some issues to work out,but they arent gonna lay down.yes c-burg is loaded with talent,but we havent played b-burg yet.and they are always giving us a fit.bluefield does not have the athletes that c-burg does,especially on the line.and thats were bluefield is weak.but i expect a good game friday nite and i give the G-Men the edge having a game under their belt.and plus,the butterflies have cleared out.Graham 21 Bluefield 18 nuff said.

Bluefield could come into this thing being way too confident by seeing a Graham loss. C'Burg was a very athletic team and speed at every position. As far as Blacksburg is concerned....They lost a ton of talent from last year's team and folks in the Burg aren't expecting much from them this year...but, they do have an enrollment of nearly 1500 students and are very capable of re-loading. (In case you're wondering, C'Burg now has around 1200 students.....). This is definitely not the same old Christiansburg that Graham used to whip up on routinely. Pulaski, Salem, or Hidden Valley had better not overlook this team in the River Ridge, they may be in for a rude awakening.

In case anybody's wondering about Graham's lack of offense in the pre-season...they churned out 464 yards against a very talented and FAST Christiansburg team. On the downside, they gave up 454....

Edited by futbolking

Graham getting blown out by anyone this year.yes they have some issues to work out,but they arent gonna lay down.yes c-burg is loaded with talent,but we havent played b-burg yet.and they are always giving us a fit.bluefield does not have the athletes that c-burg does,especially on the line.and thats were bluefield is weak.but i expect a good game friday nite and i give the G-Men the edge having a game under their belt.and plus,the butterflies have cleared out.Graham 21 Bluefield 18 nuff said.
I bet gretna blows out graham

Guest BEAVERTAIL

All I know is if Cburg couldnt catch Lane and especially Harris, they arent the fastest team Bluefield would see. Harris wasnt the fastest on Bluefields squad when he was there, nor would he have been this year. If Bluefield's line holds up, the athletes on the team, which are really numerous, could make some spectactular plays.

Not without their starting QB who broke his ankle in a scrimmage this past Friday....BTW, without him, Gretna lost 48-12...

The Graham-Gretna game just got close...

not without their star player.Graham will be clicking on all cylinders by the time gretna rolls in.Grahams running game will pick up,and thats scary.so will the defense.the G-Men by 2 TDs.

I cannot wait for Friday night. This is starting to remind me of the talk before the Bluefield/W. Campbell and Bluefield/Richlands games last year in which Bluefield wasn't given a chance by anyone in Virginia. Keep talking fellas, keep talking. I believe you're trying to convince yourselves more so than you're trying to convince Bluefield fans. I'll leave you with this, it's going to be decided on the field...

Maybe if you were actually AT the game and saw for yourself what happened, you'd be able to follow along a lot better and maybe you'd know the score...

Maybe if you were actually AT the game and saw for yourself what happened, you'd be able to follow along a lot better and maybe you'd know the score...

I was AT the game my friend.

BTW: Can someone give an update on the condition of the Marrs kid? How's his left leg?

I was AT the game my friend.

BTW: Can someone give an update on the condition of the Marrs kid? How's his left leg?

You were also the first to throw out a percieved insult to the Graham fans on this board. Lets all hope for a good game, and cheer for the other when its over like we all should.