who do you guys think are some of the best!

colts18

Who do you guys think are some of the best coaches in the game in the BDD list them from jv boys, jv girls, to varsity boys, varsity girls. and are there any big changes this year as far as coaches? jv or varsity?

Well as For J.V. boys you would have to say the jv coaching staff from honaker, i mean look how many years in a row have they been in the district championship.

Not to sure about j.v. girls it would be honaker or haysi imo.

Varsity Girls Shew the top four which is Honaker, Twin Valley, Council, and Haysi seem to be neck to neck every year over looking honaker dominating the past two years.

Varsity boys of course i'm one-sided with Twin Valley Brian Moore and his staff. But i really like what Cooper is doing over at hurley his raising some fine ball players. As for big changes not really sure but i think steve hamro III is helping hurley in basketball in some way

Well as For J.V. boys you would have to say the jv coaching staff from honaker, i mean look how many years in a row have they been in the district championship.

Not to sure about j.v. girls it would be honaker or haysi imo.

Varsity Girls Shew the top four which is Honaker, Twin Valley, Council, and Haysi seem to be neck to neck every year over looking honaker dominating the past two years.

Varsity boys of course i'm one-sided with Twin Valley Brian Moore and his staff. But i really like what Cooper is doing over at hurley his raising some fine ball players. As for big changes not really sure but i think steve hamro III is helping hurley in basketball in some way

Steve Hamro is new JV basketball coach at Hurley.

JV boys obviously honaker, and Varsity boys obviously Twin Valley. What I cant figure out is how honakers jv team always beats tv, when in varsity its the same tv boys from jv beating honaker. I think its because when Honakers jv boys get to varsity they only care about football. And its the opposite for Twin Valley. Id say the TV boys are working so hard. They have about 4 or 5 players that could be stars on any other team in this area. Does anyone know more about the work ethic of either of the teams???

obviously as always horne, simpson and smith are gonna stand out to everyone.. Were also expecting Shortridge and Burniston to show themselves this year.. i dont know bout everyone else but id love to see shortridge keep throwin em down like he did in camp and against hurley at home last year.. but as for the record.. i dont see them losin except for in the arbys classic.. 26-4

Well, I agree on all of that pretty much. Someone could bump up and bite them, but it will not effect the outcome of the season. Horne leading them in the back court is a player who makes other players better. Simpson uses his brain to absolutely do what he wants. And Smith is a huge beast. Now with Shortridge, I hear his dedication is unreal. One of the coaches (a coach of twin valley basketball, i will not say either boys or girls or the age group he coaches, just so you all wont heckle all the coaches) told me that Shortridge is in the gym 24/7. And he carries a basketball around in his arm all the time?? Is this true haha? Well thats called loving the game if its true. Burniston has alot of quickness and flashes. From what I saw last year he can stop on a dime and shut down anyone. Big Adam " Beefy " Keen is a huge defensive presence. Any of these players could star anywhere else IMO. Therefore I agree with what you say Hokie. I definately look forward to seeing these players mesh together for one great run. Keep filling me in on stuff, and please give me your opinion on these things.

yea thats true.. lucas does carry around a ball all the time.. which maybe he's onto somethin.. cuz if its constantly with you then you hafta to get better at holding on to it.. and yea he practically lives in the gym... i think he'd sleep there if they'd let him.. haha and i think carter will be a pretty good replacement for jory... he's quicker but he doesnt have the experience that jory did.. and beefy has slimmed down and is alot quicker.. he's currently playing fullback on the football team.. but he's as tough as he ever was.. and will be a force to be reckoned with in the paint..

Wow, that all sounds impressive. Now with the girls, I think the girls will do good with the temendous back court of the awesome Lester, and the solid point Gilber (i think). But down low they lose alot with Street. Some told me that she sort of hurt the team? That sounds crazy, she helped so much, evey team needs one of those (kind of like the boys' Smith). I think they will be hurting with a tough district and no inside game. How do you think they will fair.

its Gilbert.. haha.. and yea kim did help the team and its gonna be a fight to get anywhere without Kim.. unlike the boys (who have a replacement for jory) the girls have no one to fill in the Center position.. Holli tatum is the only girl whose tall enough to play center and she lacks experience and neither is she as big as kim.. but if the girls go back to richmond it will be one heck of a fight..

• 4 weeks later...

I know that the BDD has had some shake ups since last season.

Council's JV boys coach of last year Ben Jackson is now the Varsity Girls Coach, David Bostic took over for Council's JV boys and Jeremy Ratliff the ex Girls Varsity coach is now the boys varsity head coach. Hurley has Steve Hamro as the JV Boys Coach this year as the defending JV BDD Champion Hurley Runnin' Rebels, and Marc Cooper doing Varsity after making a regional appearance last season. Honaker jv boys suffered a defeat at the hands of the Cooper boys last year... Coach Marcus Dunam took over for the other coach that won all the JV championships, because he is no longer employed by the school for whatever the reason, and Waylon and the Heart Foundataion are still over there with Boys Varsity.... Twin Valley still has a great coach and record of the past few years with Brian Moore calling the shots and doing JV boys this year is Patrick Wade. Haysi has had some shake ups but I think Larry Compton is still doing it this year, but I heard they had a new JV boys Coach????

Girls basketball.... I think that Ricky Goodman is the best coach. I know Honaker wins, but you can't coach talent Artrip is one of the best players in SWVA and will be tough to stop, but Honaker graduated alot. I'm not saying Nathan Breeding isn't a good coach, he's good, but not as good as he thinks he is and he's certainly no Rick Goodman. Haysi's coach does a good job, they played tough they just suffered some injuries last year but it's always dangerous to play at Sandlick and Clincho. I think Ben Jackson will do a good job if I'm not mistaken I think he played point guard for Council's 2001 state champions team, and he did a decent job with the jv boys last year at Council the few games I was able to catch.. and when it comes to Hurley's girls basketball, well there's a reason Hurley has the best cheerleaders.....

I think it's going to be a great year for hoops in SWVA

• 2 weeks later...

Well when it comes to hurley's girls basketball !? what kind of crap is that? I will say this there have only been a few good girls team but Im tell you this within the next four years hurley will win the BDD or finish second and as you may or may not know coach HORN is back as the varsity coach and they have the allen girl back along with all the jv girls from last year, and these girls are as scrapy as you'll find anywhere in the BDD , but it will be a tough year for hurley. as for the jv they have all new faces but they also have about four girls that could be real good in a few years

obviously as always horne, simpson and smith are gonna stand out to everyone.. Were also expecting Shortridge and Burniston to show themselves this year.. i dont know bout everyone else but id love to see shortridge keep throwin em down like he did in camp and against hurley at home last year.. but as for the record.. i dont see them losin except for in the arbys classic.. 26-4

Thats pretty high expections for this year, sounds like the same projections everyone was giving Grundy last year....

Im not saying you all going to be a burst this year or anything, just don't get ahead of yourselfs.

agililty beats scrappy anyday.. so i see hurley's girls having a hard time with the agility of TV, Honaker, and Council.. and sorry but i still see them finishing up last in the BDD this year...

Edited by hokiepanther