Players In Trouble

salemchamps09

Friday Night we played Northside... And somebody in the stands said that Northside's starting kicker was released from the team because of alcohol charges... Didn't really know if this was true or not but is this becoming a problem ? I know that blacksburg's qb is also in trouble for that same matter. Do you agree with coaches decisions to dismiss the players from the teams? Any follow up on Northside's K or Blacksburg's QB?

Edited by salemchamps09

Friday Night we played Northside... And somebody in the stands said that Northside's starting kicker Downhour? (I think is the name)was released from the team because of alcohol charges... Didn't really know if this was true or not but is this becoming a problem ? I know that blacksburg's qb is also in trouble for that same matter. Do you agree with coaches decisions to dismiss the players from the teams? Any follow up on Northside's K or Blacksburg's QB?

i definitely agree with coaches being able to dismiss players from teams for rules violations. do you think they should be able to do as they please?

I agree with dismissing them from the team. Doing any extra-curricular activity is a privilege, and if the players can’t stay out of trouble then they should not be allowed to participate. If I’m not mistaken this happened to a Richlands player before the Brookville game last year, and he was dismissed from the team. But I may be wrong.

I agree they should not be allowed to play, this happened at Abingdon but I never heard one way or the other what the outcome was. If these kids are patted on the back and allowed to play that is just letting them think they can get away with anything, life is not like that they must take some responsibility for what they have done.

so if the school suspends them for 3 days then why shouldnt they just be banned for a week from football? why kick them off the team if its not something football related that didn't have anything to do with football? or what if it's something where they get arrested and the court date isn't until say Jan or so? They haven't been convicted of anything and no school suspension...how do you kick a kid like that off the team?

I can see if it's something school related and the kid gets expelled...but if it's a 3 day suspension why should the kid be removed from the team? If it's something football related then i can see it...do something stupid at practice or something...coach has every right to kick a kid off the team in that circumstance.

so if the school suspends them for 3 days then why shouldnt they just be banned for a week from football? why kick them off the team if its not something football related that didn't have anything to do with football? or what if it's something where they get arrested and the court date isn't until say Jan or so? They haven't been convicted of anything and no school suspension...how do you kick a kid like that off the team?

I can see if it's something school related and the kid gets expelled...but if it's a 3 day suspension why should the kid be removed from the team? If it's something football related then i can see it...do something stupid at practice or something...coach has every right to kick a kid off the team in that circumstance.

This is the problem with athletes these days...they think they can do no wrong. The parents and fans give them this mind set. Just because they are big star athlete means they can get away with anything, and never play any consequences. I say punish them for what they have done and then let them come back out for the team next season, if they can prove that they have made changes.

What about in college? There are kids getting kicked off teams left and right for doing dumb things off of the field. Do you think that is wrong?

This is the problem with athletes these days...they think they can do no wrong. The parents and fans give them this mind set. Just because they are big star athlete means they can get away with anything, and never play any consequences. I say punish them for what they have done and then let them come back out for the team next season, if they can prove that they have made changes.

What about in college? There are kids getting kicked off teams left and right for doing dumb things off of the field. Do you think that is wrong?

well...what if it's not a "star"...just some third string kid that like football?

College might be a bit of a different situation that high school...if you have a kid on a scholarship and he's going to be in jail or whatever...then you need someone getting that money that you would know will be there when you need them.

All I'm saying is if the kid hasn't had his day in court yet, are you going to kick him off the team? What happens if he goes to court in Jan. and is found not guilty? You would probably never know anyway because Juvy records are sealed...but just saying...how are you going to tell that kid he can't play just because he got caught up at the wrong place at the wrong time maybe? I think it's fair to just go with what the school punishment is...don't put it off on the athletic department to punish someone...let the front office do that...if they are bad enough of a kid that they can't play football then they don't need to be in school either.

I think if they are suspended then they don't play that week...once they come back to school it's over...if it's that bad then they should be kicked out of school as well.

College is a different level so you can't compare the two because of the maturity level of the athlete. We have to step back and think back to when we were kids and not all of us but most of us swarped around. Thats just part of being a kid and if you get caught then you take the school punishment not ban them from sports. Who knows the coach of the team might turn the inividual around. One mistake is not multiple mistakes!

well...what if it's not a "star"...just some third string kid that like football?

College might be a bit of a different situation that high school...if you have a kid on a scholarship and he's going to be in jail or whatever...then you need someone getting that money that you would know will be there when you need them.

All I'm saying is if the kid hasn't had his day in court yet, are you going to kick him off the team? What happens if he goes to court in Jan. and is found not guilty? You would probably never know anyway because Juvy records are sealed...but just saying...how are you going to tell that kid he can't play just because he got caught up at the wrong place at the wrong time maybe? I think it's fair to just go with what the school punishment is...don't put it off on the athletic department to punish someone...let the front office do that...if they are bad enough of a kid that they can't play football then they don't need to be in school either.

I think if they are suspended then they don't play that week...once they come back to school it's over...if it's that bad then they should be kicked out of school as well.

If it’s a pending matter, then no I do not think they should be punished for it until a verdict is made in the court system. But if he is proven to have been in trouble with the law then he should be punished justly.

Let me ask you this. Say he was suspended for a 10 days. That's two weeks from school. You think he should be allowed to come right back on the team right? How many coaches do you think will allow a player to miss two weeks of practice in the middle of the season and then come right back and play again? Any good coach would kick anyone off the team for missing a week’s worth of practice, not to mention two weeks!

Most school systems require student athletes to sign a code of conduct. This code of conduct spells out in no uncertain terms the consequences of breaking rules. Once signed, athletes who knowingly break rules (like drinking or possessing alcohol which was mentioned in this thread and is illegal for high school aged athletes any way), should be held accountable. If this means they are kicked off the team, so be it. They knew the rules beforehand. When you just allow these athletes , who knowingly break the rules, to miss a few games and then return to the team as if nothing happened, you make a mockery of the code of conduct and the athletes who abide by it.

If it’s a pending matter, then no I do not think they should be punished for it until a verdict is made in the court system. But if he is proven to have been in trouble with the law then he should be punished justly.

Let me ask you this. Say he was suspended for a 10 days. That's two weeks from school. You think he should be allowed to come right back on the team right? How many coaches do you think will allow a player to miss two weeks of practice in the middle of the season and then come right back and play again? Any good coach would kick anyone off the team for missing a week’s worth of practice, not to mention two weeks!

Didn't say you had to let the kid play when he came back...just saying I'd let the front office decide the punishment. I don't know of many 2 week suspensions...most are 1 - 3 days right?

Most school systems require student athletes to sign a code of conduct. This code of conduct spells out in no uncertain terms the consequences of breaking rules. Once signed, athletes who knowingly break rules (like drinking or possessing alcohol which was mentioned in this thread and is illegal for high school aged athletes any way), should be held accountable. If this means they are kicked off the team, so be it. They knew the rules beforehand. When you just allow these athletes , who knowingly break the rules, to miss a few games and then return to the team as if nothing happened, you make a mockery of the code of conduct and the athletes who abide by it.

What about the rich kids that get out of trouble I know of many instances where they are just brushed to the side. Nobody's making a mockery of the code of conduct everybody needs rules but what I'm saying is sometimes common sense comes into play.

Didn't say you had to let the kid play when he came back...just saying I'd let the front office decide the punishment. I don't know of many 2 week suspensions...most are 1 - 3 days right?

According to the rule you get 10 day out in Tazewell county for having a cell phone (second offense). I have seen people get 10 days out for fighting.

And that was my point. Suspend them for the rest of the season, then let them come back out next year, if they are ready to straighten up their act.

you gotta be kidding me..a cell phone..u gonna kick a kid off the team because mom called and he didn't put it on silent?geez,3days and he dosen't play that week..this is why kids today hate adults..i say have rules but have common sense to.i have never heard of a ten day suspension..if a kid drinks and drives,then gets caught.i say that is a big deal.but stupid liltle things..give them their punishment accordingly.

you gotta be kidding me..a cell phone..u gonna kick a kid off the team because mom called and he didn't put it on silent?geez,3days and he dosen't play that week..this is why kids today hate adults..i say have rules but have common sense to.i have never heard of a ten day suspension..if a kid drinks and drives,then gets caught.i say that is a big deal.but stupid liltle things..give them their punishment accordingly.

I’m not saying kick someone off the team for using a cell phone. I was just proving my point that you can get suspended for 10 days. I haven’t heard of this rule being enforced any.

Directly from the TCPS Code of conduct:

13. Possession of Beepers, Cellular Telephones, Personal Digital Assistant (PDAs), or Similar Devices. Only middle school and high school students having a signed parental consent form on file in the administrative office may possess a beeper, cellular telephone, or PDA on school property, including school buses, provided the device remains in their personal vehicle or locker and is turned off during the instructional day, which is defined as 8:00 a.m. until 3:30 p.m. If a student possesses such a device other than as permitted in this policy, in addition to other disciplinary sanctions which may be imposed, the device will be confiscated from the student and returned only to the student’s parent.

1st Offense: Confiscation of communication device. Conference with parent, and relinquish device to parent. Three (3) day in school suspension.

2nd Offense: Confiscation and ten (10) days out of school suspension.

Beyond 2nd Offense: Confiscation and recommendation to the Division Superintendent for long-term suspension - - minimum 15 days.

http://tazewell.k12.va.us/documents/policymanual/policymanual_j/jfc_student_conduct.pdf

There are several offenses that warrant a 10 day suspension according to the code of conduct.

you know what...the school systems around here, and I guess everywhere else for that matter...are a joke. That is complete BS...this stuff with calling the cops for everything and 10 day suspensions and everything along those lines...whoever put this stuff in place should be beaten...stupid.

you know what...the school systems around here, and I guess everywhere else for that matter...are a joke. That is complete BS...this stuff with calling the cops for everything and 10 day suspensions and everything along those lines...whoever put this stuff in place should be beaten...stupid.

I think it is a joke also, but I was just proving that they did suspend people for 10 days, not just for cell phones either.

Yes it is a joke to a certain stint. With all the BS that is going on in this world today, is the reason for these nonsense rules, but are our kids really safe with some of the dam rules they have in place?