a bit odd...

Lance

Guest BEAVERTAIL

Not sure, but the debate would have probably would have played into McCain's favor. He excels in debates, Obama struggles a bit.

What they are working on, im not sure at all, but there is work to be done.

Not really surprised by this. McCain can only dodge the bullet so many times and it's in poor taste that he's using the American economic crisis as an excuse for doing so. Interestingly enough, he was in the Senate all of those years and never did anything to curb or prevent the current system which is mainly responsible for this crisis as it exists today.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

Actually you are wrong about the economy.

And if you are referring to McCain dodging the debate bullet, well everyone knows McCain wants debates, look at how he wanted town meetings with Obama, and Obama agreed then declined.

Here is the transcript of what McCain said in 2005.

Mr. President, this week Fannie Mae’s regulator reported that the company’s quarterly reports of profit growth over the past few years were “illusions deliberately and systematically created” by the company’s senior management, which resulted in a $10.6 billion accounting scandal.

The Office of Federal Housing Enterprise Oversight’s report goes on to say that Fannie Mae employees deliberately and intentionally manipulated financial reports to hit earnings targets in order to trigger bonuses for senior executives. In the case of Franklin Raines, Fannie Mae’s former chief executive officer, OFHEO’s report shows that over half of Mr. Raines’ compensation for the 6 years through 2003 was directly tied to meeting earnings targets. The report of financial misconduct at Fannie Mae echoes the deeply troubling $5 billion profit restatement at Freddie Mac.

The OFHEO report also states that Fannie Mae used its political power to lobby Congress in an effort to interfere with the regulator’s examination of the company’s accounting problems. This report comes some weeks after Freddie Mac paid a record $3.8 million fine in a settlement with the Federal Election Commission and restated lobbying disclosure reports from 2004 to 2005. These are entities that have demonstrated over and over again that they are deeply in need of reform.

For years I have been concerned about the regulatory structure that governs Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac–known as Government-sponsored entities or GSEs–and the sheer magnitude of these companies and the role they play in the housing market. OFHEO’s report this week does nothing to ease these concerns. In fact, the report does quite the contrary. OFHEO’s report solidifies my view that the GSEs need to be reformed without delay.

I join as a cosponsor of the Federal Housing Enterprise Regulatory Reform Act of 2005, S. 190, to underscore my support for quick passage of GSE regulatory reform legislation. If Congress does not act, American taxpayers will continue to be exposed to the enormous risk that Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac pose to the housing market, the overall financial system, and the economy as a whole.

-------------------------------

As you can see McCain called the collapse, unlike Obama who supported the bill. BTW, Fran and Fred support Obama more than any other candidate and look where they got us.

It would take an idiot to believe that the current economic crisis is all because of the Bush Administration!

I predicted in 98 and in 99 to all of my students that the dot com boom would result in a bubble that would create another bubble and that eventually some poor president would have to take the blame for an economic crisis.

You don't de-regulate banks and then allow them to give credit to anyone regardless of the reason just in order to say that times are good. However, that is what happened during the mid to late 90's. We are now reaping what our government sowed!

nuff said!

I just want to know exactly what "work" McCain is doing here? This just seems a bit odd to me...is he respobsible for the oversight of something?

I heard today that McCain's son was the director of one of the first companies to fail...Fannie Mae maybe? I don't remember which one...but anyway...he resigned 2 months prior to the crap hitting the fan after being there for years.

(AP) Regulators on Friday shut down Silver State Bank, saying the Nevada bank failed because of losses on soured loans, mainly in commercial real estate and land development.

It was the 11th failure this year of a federally insured bank.

Nevada regulators closed Silver State and the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. was appointed receiver of the bank, based in Henderson, Nev. It had $2 billion in assets and $1.7 billion in deposits as of June 30.

Andrew K. McCain, a son of Republican presidential nominee John McCain, sat on the boards of Silver State Bank and of its parent, Silver State Bancorp, starting in February but resigned in July citing "personal reasons," corporate filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission show. Andrew McCain also was a member of the bank's audit committee, responsible for oversight of the company's accounting.

The younger McCain, who is the chief financial officer of Hensley & Co., the beer distributorship of which Cindy McCain is chairwoman, is the Arizona senator's adopted son from his first marriage.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

First off, the debate is on Foreign Policies. Not economy.

Second, McCain was talking about the WORKERS being fundamentally strong.

Dont believe me??? this is straight from factcheck.org.

Creative Clippings

Biden was not the first to truncate McCain’s remarks (Stephen Colbert did the same) when he attempted to illustrate that McCain was out of touch with average Americans:

Biden: I believe that’s why Senator McCain could say with a straight face, as recently as this morning, and I quote, “the fundamentals of our economy are strong.”

It's true that McCain has been using that line and similar ones at least since early 2008, although usually with some qualifying language thrown in, as we've noted. And this time, he elaborated during a campaign stop in Orlando, Florida, Sept. 15:

McCain (Sept. 15): You know that there’s been tremendous turmoil in our financial markets and Wall Street. And it is – it’s – people are frightened by these events. Our economy, I think, still, the fundamentals are – of our economy are strong, but these are very, very difficult times. And I promise you, we will never put America in this position again. We will clean up Wall Street. We will reform government.

That said, we'd also note that later that day, in an interview with NBC affiliate WESH 2, McCain changed his tune slightly:

McCain: Everybody knows I was talking about our workers. They're the strongest and the best in the world. Those fundamentals are at risk right now because of the greed and excesses of Wall Street.

The next day, in Tampa, McCain repeated his revised remark, but changed "fundamentals" to "foundation":

McCain (Sept. 16): And this - this foundation of our economy, the American worker, strong. But it's been put at great risk by the greed and mismanagement of Wall Street and Washington. I'll give you some straight talk, my friends.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Everyone should check out factcheck.org sometime, learn the real facts on both sides...

that's all great, but what's he working on? Bush just said he invited McCain and Obama to the White House for a Friday meeting to work on the economy? What exactly are they doing? They have sent the bill down for $700B...is Bush just trying to get this pushed through by using these two bobbleheads?

Guest JJBrickface

Good work Tail. Unfortunately there are people out there who will base their votes on YouTube videos that manipulate speeches. Like I have said before, the majority of Americans are dumb when it comes to voting.

Good work Tail. Unfortunately there are people out there who will base their votes on YouTube videos that manipulate speeches. Like I have said before, the majority of Americans are dumb when it comes to voting.

I know, I am completely ignorant. I absolutely base all of my voting decisions based on YouTube.

Thanks for proving my point, like I said this is exactly why I don't waste my time discussing these issues here. The next time you'll see me in any sort of discussion pertaining to this is on November 5th when I'll return to say I told you so.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

You never post anything different than Youtube or Copy and Pastes. I only do it when using factcheck... Which is my way of proving im the "No Spin Zone" lol...

And you dont waste your time, cause you never spend any time. Research your candidate, I bet i could present more of a case for Obama than you could. Dang cable at Concord only gets CNN lol...

Guest BEAVERTAIL

Pop Tarts? Love em. Here are some for you about this issue...

Pop Tarts: Brooke Hogan Takes Dig at Paris Hilton

Thursday, August 14, 2008

By Hollie McKay

E-Mail Respond Print Share:

AP

Brooke Hogan

LOS ANGELES — We’re starting to think that perhaps Brooke Hogan should steer clear of expressing her political opinions.

The 20-year-old recently caused a media stir when she wrote on her MySpace blog that she thought it was "crazy" for Hillary Clinton to run for president as women "deal a lot with emotions and menopause and PMS."

In a posting this week, Brooke wrote that most people only vote because "it’s cool" and (like herself) have no real idea what’s going on in and around the White House.

And John McCain wasn’t the only one to take a dig at Paris Hilton; Hogan shared her thoughts on the party princess’s attempts to encourage voters.

"Only 54 percent of eligible american voters cast their ballots!!!!!! Half of them are only voting cause its 'cool' to vote for so and so...they aren't even up to date on information," Brooke wrote. "I'M personally not up to date on the facts, so I don't wanna make a stupid choice for our country. I WANT to vote but only when I know exactly whats going on. More ppl should think like that. Paris Hilton said 'yaaaay go vote cause its cool and hott!!!!' ...SHE WASN'T EVEN REGISTERED."

In 2004, Paris was the spokeswoman for "Rock the Vote," but at the time she reportedly wasn't even registered (we checked again on Wednesday night and her registration date wasn't listed, but apparently she's now registered).

A press day for the "Hottie & the Nottie" was held the day before the California primaries earlier this year, but we overheard her co-star Christine Lakin explaining what the primaries actually were and why they were happening, because Paris apparently had no idea.

Perhaps the heiress's uncertified appearance in McCain’s campaign has forced her to build a better knowledge base.

Hilton’s management did not respond for comment.

You never post anything different than Youtube or Copy and Pastes. I only do it when using factcheck... Which is my way of proving im the "No Spin Zone" lol...

And you dont waste your time, cause you never spend any time. Research your candidate, I bet i could present more of a case for Obama than you could. Dang cable at Concord only gets CNN lol...

I love how you think you can try to talk down to someone simply because they do not share your exact viewpoint. That's usually what seperates the ignorant from the intelligent, whereas most intelligent people can look at things from the perspectives of others and understand them even if they don't agree. More importantly, they can respect these people as well. You cannot do either.

Hey, if lecturing politics to people on a high school sports message board makes you feel enpowered, intelligent, or even important then go for it. Like I said before, I won't waste my time debating with people who have no respect for opinions or viewpoints other than your own. You can claim I am uninformed, are spoon fed information from manipulated sources, or that I just don't get it but it doesn't matter to me either way. I laugh and truly pity people such as yourself.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

No, I dont understand how you can sit there and adamantly support any candidate without knowing the bases. Do I agree with John McCain on every idea? NO. Does Barack Obama have some merit in some cases? Yes.

But the things you have posted have either been shots at me, claiming I dont know what I am talking about, youtube videos, or links to Barack Obama's economic plan. I believe it was you who:

1. Called me out on my beliefs. http://swvasports.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11725

2. Said I didnt know my facts about Obama. http://swvasports.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10662&highlight=obama&page=3 (Pg and 3)

I wont talk down to anyone who believes in Obama, i dont think i have to you, you have attacked me, as long as they present the facts to accurately present an argument for Obama. There are plenty of reasons to vote for Obama, especially if you are a democrat. I mean, the oppurtunities are endless out there, people have been arguing it all the time. Its the same arguments we have been having for years. I argue with professors, no one gets angry. I argued and presented facts in High School with teachers. Its what I do, research and find the answers.

And yes I respect Senator Obama, but i find many downfalls on him. But i will correct someone if they falter on what he says. I want to stick to facts, and I believe I have so far.

I just cant stand when people dont support their views. Give some backbone to what you are saying, you proudly support the man, tell us why! What made you support Obama? Why is he better than McCain? That is what politics is all about, and it is everywhere, SWVAsports, work, school, church, taxes, economy, gas prices.

This next election will define the next 4 years of America. And im not about to let this country fall into the wrong hands, this great country, which i love so much, and never want to see it change from its roots. That is what im fighting for and leads me to voice my opinion.

Guest JJBrickface
I love how you think you can try to talk down to someone simply because they do not share your exact viewpoint. That's usually what seperates the ignorant from the intelligent, whereas most intelligent people can look at things from the perspectives of others and understand them even if they don't agree. More importantly, they can respect these people as well. You cannot do either.

Hey, if lecturing politics to people on a high school sports message board makes you feel enpowered, intelligent, or even important then go for it. Like I said before, I won't waste my time debating with people who have no respect for opinions or viewpoints other than your own. You can claim I am uninformed, are spoon fed information from manipulated sources, or that I just don't get it but it doesn't matter to me either way. I laugh and truly pity people such as yourself.

I don't think we are talking down to you. Just questioning your "Sources."

anyone like pop tarts?

I do...have them for breakfast every morning while checking the board...having one right now as a matter of fact with a Dr. Pepper...Breakfast of Champions...that and chocolate chip cookies with beer...

So you are saying I shouldnt base my vote on this? I dont think it is manipulative at all.

Edited by BigBlueAlum

so...here's my take on all this....

McCain - political ploy...nothing more...he's not doing any "work" on this "crisis" at all...maybe his "people" are in on what's happening...but he's really not doing a thing.

Obama - doesn't know what to do with this McCain situation...either way he goes, screwed. Best thing he could do is continue to campaign and stick to the issues and let the McCain side show go in it's own direction.

what I think...a deal will be done by Friday...McCain will show up for the debate and say "Obama didn't care blah blah blah, he can't lead the country blah blah blah"...McCain would have never done this unless he knew a deal would be done by friday...so either late today or early tomorrow you will see this "deal" get done.

doent make since cause he will rip obama apart. without his pupett strings hooked to him obama would be lost. what would he say without his hollywood script. what if they ask him about letting a baby die that survived an abortion. or his good buddies that tend to blow up buldings. or the fact that the american economy was fine before the democrats took over congress. i think obama should take advantage of this. he has no chance against a real man and american hero.,.. all i can say is bring on the vp debate i want to watch SARAH....PS couldnt vote for anyone if i couldnt join the same church as them....

Edited by jets

I've seen Obama talk twice...once in person and the other I watched on TV...thats the only two complete unedited speeches I've seen...even the ones on Cspan are edited....he doesn't do as well as McCain with his flow...but he is a very good communicator...I think most people who say stuff like "McCain will rip him apart" are very much under estimating Obama...Clinton was much the same, you could see him going through his mental file cabinate when anyone asked him a question...but the response came across as genuine...thus, people connected. Obama is the same way...he may stutter and say "Uh" a lot...but he gets the point across and that's where the beef is...McCain seems to look like he's just delivering political rhetoric at times...I think we will see a much better debate than some are thinking.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

McCain will win the debate, Obama has struggled and did not win one single Democratic Debate while McCain impressed. Will McCain rip him apart? no. Will some people even think Obama might have won? probably. But McCain isnt running away from Obama. Why?

1. He has already defeated Obama in a forum, with Rick Warren, afterwards, the Obama camp said McCain cheated.

2. McCain and Obama agreed to small town meetings to attend and debate. They originally agreed to 5, McCain wanted more cause he knew as well as the Democrats that was his strength. Obama in the end opted out of going to any of them.

3. Look at the gaffs Obama has made while off the teleprompter. His grandfather liberated Aushwitz when the US wasnt even there, Iran is a grave/tiny threat, how people in PA are "Bitter" and "clinging to guns and religon", all of these are off the prompter.

Here are some quotes for you...

"Everybody knows that it makes no sense that you send a kid to the emergency room for a treatable illness like asthma, they end up taking up a hospital bed, it costs, when, if you, they just gave, you gave them treatment early and they got some treatment, and a, a breathalyzer, or inhalator, not a breathalyzer . . . I haven't had much sleep in the last 48 hours."

"What they'll say is, 'Well it costs too much money,' but you know what? It would cost, about . . . It -- it -- it would cost about the same as what we would spend . . . It . . . Over the course of 10 years it would cost what it would costs us . . . (nervous laugh) All right. Okay. We're going to . . . It . . . It would cost us about the same as it would cost for about -- hold on one second. I can't hear myself. But I'm glad you're fired up, though. I'm glad."

Obama has some work to do, or must prove he can do well off the prompter or he may be in trouble.