Bluefield vs. Mount View preview article

Lance

Beavers face Knight-time

By BRIAN WOODSON

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

BLUEFIELD — A three-game win streak has the Bluefield Beavers charging toward the postseason.

Fred Simon wants tonight’s focus to be on Welch, and the Mount View Golden Knights.

“We get excited when we play them, and we know we’ll get their best,” said Simon, Bluefield’s head coach. “I’d rather have a team’s best and end up knowing they respect our program than not.

“I know we’re going to have to play to have an opportunity to win.”

Throw out the records when Bluefield (3-3) and Mount View (1-5) meet. While the Beavers have won three straight, the Knights snapped a five-game losing streak with a one-point win over Westside earlier this month.

“They are coming off a win and they could have very easily beat Wyoming East too,” said Simon, of a 44-34 loss to the Warriors for Mount View. “They had a turnover early in the second half that hurt them a little bit, but their kids have played hard.

“I’ve got a lot of respect for the program and their players and their coaching staff and coach (Leon) Gravely. I look for a heck of a game down there.”

Even though Bluefield has won six of the last eight meetings in this series, Simon still remembers 2004 when the Beavers went 14-0, but had to work for a 17-14 win at what is now Vic Nystrom Stadium.

“We went down there and we won by three points, but it was dogfight, they played us very tough, they always play us tough really,” Simon said. “They get up and they play hard so I look for a heck of a game.

“I think it’s going to be tough and hopefully we’ll play hard enough to have a chance to win at the end.”

After a three-game losing streak to start the season, the Beavers have won three straight by a combined score of 126-33. Will Cole (1,238 yards, 15 td) continues to put up big passing numbers, while Jake Lilly (53-346, 5 td) ran for 130 yards and two touchdowns in last week’s 35-14 win over Richlands.

“I thought we played a very good football team...it seems like we have gotten a little bit better each week,” said Simon, whose top receivers have been Marcus Patterson (21-281, 4 td), Cody Wassum (21-281, 4 td), Isaiah Manns (10-175, 2 td) and Levi Beckett (14-196, 3 td). “That (Richlands) game is over with, I’m very proud of our players for a great effort, but we’ve got to focus on this game here.”

Mount View has allowed 256 points (42.7) in six games, including 54 twice. However, after scoring just six points in each of their first two games, the Knights have shown the ability to score, tallying 27 points a contest since then, including 34 in the loss to Wyoming East and 30 against Westside.

The Golden Knights have been paced on offense by tailbacks Lamar Cunningham and Cedric Thomas, both of whom have eclipsed the 200-yard mark in games this season. Freshman signal-caller Jacob Muncy has shown potential with his arm, while Quan Parker can make big plays at receiver.

“The running backs run very hard and their line has good size and they can definitely run behind them,” Simon said. “They put the points on the board lately.

“I’m impressed that they have battled hard and they haven’t quit. I think we’ve definitely got a tough opponent as we go down there tomorrow night.”

While the Bluefield offense has averaged 42 points during its win streak, the defense has allowed just 12, 7 and 14 in those same games, providing the Beavers with some confidence heading down the stretch against a brutal schedule of games.

“I think it gave us confidence, but the objective is to play the best you can each week,” said Simon, whose defense has been led by Lilly, who routinely reaches double digits in tackles in each game. “I know it helps sell your program when things turn out right, but we’ve got to go down there and play a heck of a ball game against a talented ball club that will give it everything they’ve got.”

The weather could play a role tonight, with rain expected to fall on Mount View’s unique bowl-shaped facility. Simon said that won’t keep the Beavers from throwing the football.

“If it rains, it rains, there’s nothing we can do about it...,” Simon said. “That’s what makes the game interesting too, nobody can dictate the weather and we’ve got to play it outside so we’ll see what happens.

“It is a little tougher to throw in the rain, but if that’s what you have to do, you have to do it.”

Bluefield, which is currently tied for 17th in the latest WVSSAC ratings, still hopes to defend its Class AA state title, but must make the playoffs first. A win tonight would give the Beavers a fourth straight win and perhaps a spot among the top 16 that will continue on.

“There just aren’t any easy teams on our schedule, and that’s good,” said Simon, whose Beavers must still play Scott, James Monroe and South Charleston, three teams with a combined mark of 15-4. “That makes our players perform week in and week out and we’ve just got to play, we’ve just got to do it.

“I feel like if we’re fortunate enough to win enough games to get into the playoffs then I think we’ll be ready. If we don’t then we don’t deserve it, so we’ll see.”

Bluefield will play Scott next Thursday at Charleston’s Laidley Field.

LINK: http://www.bdtonline.com/localsports/local_story_290214317.html?keyword=topstory

I hope the youthful Beavers go into tonight expecting to have to earn the victory just as they've done the past three games. Mount View will treat this as their state championship game and a win tonight for the Knights would make a losing season worthwhile.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

I cant believe Cedric Thomas is still there... unless im thinking of another guy, and I know there are plenty of Thomas people out there in MV, but I swear he has been there forever...

Cedric is a senior this year. Youre probably thinking of Adrian Thomas who graduated two or three years ago haha.

Anyway, the Beavers need to go into this game with the thought to earn this win. Although Mount View is terrible, and I do mean terrible, this is their Super Bowl. In 2006, Mount View tight end Eric Smith (I believe) said beating Bluefield was more important than winning a state championship...and that attitude still goes forward today. Bluefield should absolutely demolish MV tonight as they are giving up huge point totals to teams that aren't too great and aren't scoring either.

Bluefield 41

Mount View 0

It won't be that much of a blowout

I don't think this game will be close...Westside is terrible, Wyoming East is over-rated. For Christ sake, Mt. View lost bad to Iaeger, Man, Big Creek, and Liberty-Raleigh...

This one should be over early in the first half...lots of playing time for the reserves tonight...

They gave up somewhere in the neighborhood of 54 points to both Man and Big Creek. Averaging giving up 42 points a game, I toned it down a little with my prediction. This game should mirror last years with no starters playing in the 2nd half, but who knows. I could see Bluefield winning by more than 41, but i'm being modest in my prediction.

Bluefield should win this game,but at the same time all the pressure is on Bluefield,because chances are if the Beavers lose any of the next 3 games against MV,Scott,and JM they don't make the playoffs,because beating South Charleston the last game will be a really tough challenge. Not saying Bluefield can't beat SC,but winning the next 3 games in my opinion would get Bluefield in the playoffs even with a loss to SC.

You never can count out Mt.View thats for sure. Don't matter how down they are. They always seem to give Bluefield their best shot and history proves that. I look for a good game tonight in Welch.

Bluefield should win this game,but at the same time all the pressure is on Bluefield,because chances are if the Beavers lose any of the next 3 games against MV,Scott,and JM they don't make the playoffs,because beating South Charleston the last game will be a really tough challenge. Not saying Bluefield can't beat SC,but winning the next 3 games in my opinion would get Bluefield in the playoffs even with a loss to SC.

Bluefield will throttle both Scott and James Monroe...6-3, playoff bound and won't have to worry about beating South Charleston...

I agree with you whole heartedly, but no way BHS can beat SC. When BHS is loaded like last year, then they have a shot. Too young, too small up front. Tonight could be a trap, but Mt. View will not win this one. I'm thinking 42-14.

I agree with you whole heartedly, but no way BHS can beat SC. When BHS is loaded like last year, then they have a shot. Too young, too small up front.

Sounds like a little motivation for the players when the game rolls around. There aren't too many games that roll around where Bluefield is considered the "underdog," but they have played the spoiler role very well when they've had the chance...

The history between Bluefield and Mount View to an extent is a mirror image. Bluefield in most year hasn't played as well as they should or expected against Mount View in Welch just as Mount View tends to have trouble putting together a complete game against Bluefield when the game is played in Bluefield.

The test of how Bluefield handles the pressure of having to win these next 3 games in my opinion will present more of a challenge then the games themselves,and would set Bluefield up for a good run in the playoffs if they overcome the challenge and finish 6-4 or 7-3.

I still believe bluefield wins tonight unfortunately,but if MV can hold on to the football the game could be close going to halftime.

yes it will...if not worse

I hope you are right, but I've never had a whole lot of confidence in handling the Knights with ease when the Beavers travel to Welch for a game.

Fieldgeneral, it's lunacy to think the Beavers will be completely outmatched against the Black Eagles in three weeks. Bluefield has enough speed to match up with just about every team in WV.

I'd like to be in Hurricane tonight to watch the match up of AAA #1 vs. #2. That ought to be a hell of a game.

I'd like to be in Hurricane tonight to watch the match up of AAA #1 vs. #2. That ought to be a hell of a game.

I disagree. If South Charleston is as good as the hype then they should beat Hurrican handily. Sure Hurricane is undefeated, but they haven't played or beaten anyone of quality. The rain could make the game closer than it would be otherwise, but SC should still roll.

I disagree. If South Charleston is as good as the hype then they should beat Hurrican handily. Sure Hurricane is undefeated, but they haven't played or beaten anyone of quality. The rain could make the game closer than it would be otherwise, but SC should still roll.

We'll find out tonight.

My brother's son-in-law played lineman for Hurricane the last years two years and told me he thought they would have a pretty good number of talented kids back this year.