Geocaching

BigBlueAlum

Anybody do any Geocaching? I have a GPS unit and Im thinking about getting into Geocaching, it looks pretty fun. I found a good website (http://www.geocaching.com/) with plenty of caches around the are. Does anybody have any info or thoughs about it?

I use a gps to mark a lot of places me and the dogs go, but I haven't done the geocaching, I had read through that site over a year ago and knew there was some things around, but it seemed and seems more like a family thing, except for a few caches among the many in the u.s. that are supossed to be really difficult to actually get.

I know there was a cache on top of the mountain at the overlook somewhere where we went a lot but never looked for it.

Yeah, I looked at a few in the area, and most seem to be next to the road somewhere. I would like to find some more difficult ones though. I see what you mean about the family thing though.

at least the 1s around here seemed to be somewhere where a family could easily drive to a spot and walk a short ways, which of course is good for them becuase it would be a fun family thing to do if you had children. but I think they actually rate the difficulty of locating or actually getting some of the caches and some are rare to get to, but I haven't read of anything very difficult in this area, but been over a year since I read through any of those cache listings.

at least the 1s around here seemed to be somewhere where a family could easily drive to a spot and walk a short ways, which of course is good for them becuase it would be a fun family thing to do if you had children. but I think they actually rate the difficulty of locating or actually getting some of the caches and some are rare to get to, but I haven't read of anything very difficult in this area, but been over a year since I read through any of those cache listings.

That's pretty much what I gathered from looking a few of them. It gives you a difficulty rating as well as a terrain rating. It also tells whether it is handicap accessible and such.

That's pretty much what I gathered from looking a few of them. It gives you a difficulty rating as well as a terrain rating. It also tells whether it is handicap accessible and such.

which gps do you have, I have a garmin map60, greyscale, that has worked really well. I have waypoints I've put on it in at least 4 different countries, us., iraq, qatar, kuwait, ireland and I'll have to see if I actually put a waypoint on it in germany, even some waypoints over the atlantic ocean, but I've gotten a lot of use out of it.

They has 1 now that you can put a tranmitter on a collar or harness and you can track you dog when they run in the mountains or woods.

I have a Tom Tom Go 700. It is made for driving, but it is chargable and can be used as a handheld. But it is oddly shaped, making difficult to hold on to, and not rugged enough for rough terrain use. I love it thought, being able to go anywhere and not worrying about finding my way.

My family has found about 50. Pipestem is a good place, there are several down there. Glenwood has two or three in the park. The micro caches are usually too easy to get any enjoyment or exerciese out of.

a ton of these in abingdon...i've never done this, but I have it on my Blackberry which has GPS built in...works great by the way.

as for whats in them...not much...just trinkets and stuff for the most part...I guess someone could slip a $50 in there as a surprise...I wouldn't expect much more than a nice looking rock, a notepad and some pencils, pictures, maybe some oddball coins, or a CD...seems to be what most people are finding from what I read.

I am an avid Geocacher and it is tons of fun. Especially as a family activity but also a lot of fun with friends. If you like hiking, hitting the trails or just the great outdoors it can be very rewarding.

I have an online store that sells all kinds of GPS units, the site is sort of directed to Geocachers but it contains automotive units as well. http://WWW.GORILLAXPRESS.COM.

There are some great finds in the Breaks Interstate Park that are clerverly hidden and along some nice trails. I have a few articles listed on my site that shows how mainstream caching has become, check them out for more information.

I enjoy cracking the clues, most caches have coordinates that with a good GPS you can get pretty close, then you have to solve the clues to find the cache. Something else that can be fun about caching is trying to find some hid in right out in public. For example trying to find a cache hidden inside Mercer Mall, without letting anyone see you find it or replace it. You would be surprised how many caches that you have walked past, they are everywhere and SWVA has an abundance of Caches as well

Plus it gets the kids outside and away from the t.v. or the computer......................

hate to say it but the fact that most items in them are sort of trivial is what really doesn't interest me about it, I do realize it's the fun of the challenge though that should be rewarding, and for families spending time, as it should be. But me and the dogs get out in the woods and get to some unique places in the mountasins enough as it is. I did actually consider putting a cache somewhere on hogback mountain in bland county though back then.