Coalfield Dreams - Book about Local sports

bucfan64

Local Sports writer and sports historian Lloyd Combs has recently completed his book Coalfield Dreams and the publisher will be delivering the books next week.

You can order copies online now at the following link http://www.coalfielddreams.homestead.com

If you played, observed or simply was involved in sports in Buchanan County this book is for you.

If you are an outsider, I highly recommend the book as just about anyone in SWVA can relate to the small town underdog mentality that Combs brings out in some of the stories.

A great read and it's shame that there aren't more books like this out there!

http://www.coalfielddreams.homestead.com

In my opinion this would make a great stocking stuffer!

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

cool...i didn't know if he would be selling them for $20 at the games or what...did you read the "Courthouse Bench" book a few years ago? another pretty good read for Grundy folks....not sure if it's still avail or not?

Garon has a pic in it....It talks a little about our football team...

According to the book though, the first NFL running back to rush for 1000 yards in a single season Beattie Feathers from VA High. There is a lot in here that I never realized from the early days...You'll enjoy it if you can ever get it..haha

Also it says Greg Tester and David Scammell are the only two 2000 yard rushers in Buchanan County history. If im not mistaken I think Shane Justice had over 2000 yards at Hurley. I may be wrong not for sure.....

Also it says Greg Tester and David Scammell are the only RB's in Buchanan County History to rush for over 2000 yards. If im not mistaken didnt Shane Justice form Hurley have over 2000 yards rushing. Not for sure I may be wrong.

The book has been a long work in progress for Lloyd. I'd say he's gotten most of his information right...Alot of the older stuff is hearsay but its told by people that lived it for the most part so..

The book has been a long work in progress for Lloyd. I'd say he's gotten most of his information right...Alot of the older stuff is hearsay but its told by people that lived it for the most part so..

thats the best you are going to get for that sort of stuff...