Holston v.s. Bath Co.

ftbll4lfe

Your sarcasim is noted cowbaby. I say it again, we love John and appreciate everything he's done for our team, but he is not the only one on the TEAM!:D

what do you want me to say? i'm just speaking the truth if it hurts deal with it. if you want me to be sarcastic what about this "holston i going to win state".

I'm praying that Holston wins this game. After all the BS Holston crap on here this year...it'd be nice to see an LPD team put 50-60 on em...and if the Cavs get there, it will happen.

I disagree. Although I think the Cavs overhype themselves at times they are still at least a decent team. I'd say JIB or Clintwood would go 35-14 or something in all likelihood. Still a pounding, no argument there.

I'm praying that Holston wins this game. After all the BS Holston crap on here this year...it'd be nice to see an LPD team put 50-60 on em...and if the Cavs get there, it will happen.

u crazy man. da lpd is overated. we'll meet up wit ya and bust u in the mouth!:eek:

u crazy man. da lpd is overated. we'll meet up wit ya and bust u in the mouth!:eek:

Yeh, overrated. They have two teams that have to play each other both of which would kill Holston 100 out of 100 times. Oh, and they have a former team in the d2 region championship. how many hogo teams have made it to the state finals in the last ten years? 1 if I am correct....:cool:

Cowbaby check my 5 reasons why your falcons are not going to win the SWD next year on that thread.

Sincerely Your Conscience

Cavdaddy

hey cavmommy here is the deal live it up this week and have fun. congrats on an awesome season in damascus! back to the real world next year being the doormat again. but c-mommy it has been real fun chatting with you this year. god bless!

Hope you are just being funny and aren't even half-serious. The LPD has been the gold standard in Single A football for years, especially in SW Va. I sure hope we beat Bath and EARN the right to play one of them, however, absent some miraculous breaks, either Burton or Clintwood just have too much this year for even a close game.

Cowboy - return to being a doormat next year? You obviously haven't seen a roster. I'll guarantee you right now that Holston will return to the playoffs next year.

do you just really hate seeing a team do better than the falcons..i have saw so much crap on here about why your so good..but each year you sit at home around nov..you can give me 100 reasons why you are this and why you are that..i say they are excuses.so,once again..why are you still talking about abingdon in a holston thread? by, the way it's gonna be real hard without john being able to throw.bath has a tradition but also has a 4 hr bus ride..as far as powell valley goes..why are you over here?holston is so proud of winning maybe a few get carried away..but dear god do we list 5 reasons why you should like us..Deuce had 5 things we learned this year..not excuses..oh yeah,if you can't spell or don't edit..i stop reading your post.

i hope u guys win tonight and congrats on a great season. i guess everyone gets a little frustrated when the season doesn't turn out the way u want or expect. we just miss the good ole days down here (70's & 80's) when we would win with country boys playing football. hopefully, one day we will get back to something close to that if not i will just load my three boys up and drive them to chilhowie. they seem to have a really good program year in and year out.

i hope u guys win tonight and congrats on a great season. i guess everyone gets a little frustrated when the season doesn't turn out the way u want or expect. we just miss the good ole days down here (70's & 80's) when we would win with country boys playing football. hopefully, one day we will get back to something close to that if not i will just load my three boys up and drive them to chilhowie. they seem to have a really good program year in and year out.

Yeah, I used to go to a lot of Abingdon games in the 70s and 80s - damn good teams. I've got kids at Abingdon and Holston, so I went to 4 Abingdon games this year and saw much to be excited about for the future. Got to find a way to get 80 to 100 kids out - as there should be - and pick out the toughest ones to play.

By Tim Hayes

Sports Writer / Bristol Herald Courier

Published: November 21, 2008

BY TIM HAYES

BRISTOL HERALD COURIER

Eric Mefford is always on the move.

The Holston High School senior has amassed 1,460 rushing yards and 20 touchdowns this season with a running style that combines speed and strength. His play is a big reason Holston (9-2) will play host to Bath County (8-3) tonight at 7:30 p.m. in the Region C, Division 1 title game.

Mefford rushed for 102 yards on 14 carries and also shone at linebacker in Holston’s 13-12 victory over Eastern Montgomery last week. It was another big performance for Mefford, who has earned the admiration of his teammates, coaches and Holston’s passionate fans – as well as the respect of the Cavaliers’ opponents – with his methodical, workmanlike approach.

“He’s one of those guys who make things happen,†fellow Holston running back Jeffrey Bramlett said.

Holston quarterback John Pratt added: “Oh man, he’s an awesome running back. He’s real quick.â€

However, Mefford remains humble when it comes to discussing himself. He gave all the credit to the Cavs’ experienced and physical offensive line earlier this week when asked about his superb season.

“They block really well,†Mefford said. “They give me an opportunity to run the ball.â€

Linemen such as Richie Casey, Cade Parks, Evan Phillips, Bobby Blevins, Junior Carter, Brandon Easter and Caleb Sellards have opened up holes for Mefford, Bramlett and the rest of Holston’s backs.

It’s a formula that has led to success.

“Every time we’ve asked [Mefford] to do something and carry the load, he’s done it extremely well,†Holston coach Jason Matlock said. “I’m really happy for him to have some success. He’s one of the most humble players that you’ve ever been around. But all year, it’s been a team effort.â€

Jordan Blevins and Dillon DeArmond came up with key plays in last week’s win over Eastern Montgomery.

The Cavaliers were able to stop a late Eastern Montgomery 2-point conversion attempt with the game on the line to clinch their first playoff win since 1984.

“I was pretty nervous,†Bramlett said. “But I had a gut feeling that we were going to stop it.â€

Tonight’s matchup will feature two programs with contrasting histories. Bath County has played for the regional title seven times since 2000, while Holston is making just its third playoff appearance since 1987.

“They are always a solid football team,†Matlock said of Bath County.

Holston will not have to look far for motivation. Bath County ended Holston’s season last year with a 27-20 victory in Damascus.

“It’s a revenge game definitely,†Bramlett said. “Last year, they took us out. It’s going to be another good game.â€

Holston again will have home-field advantage. Friday nights in Damascus have become the hottest ticket in Washington County these days.

“This year we’ve had a lot of people come to the games and a lot of support,†Pratt said. “We love the big games. They are fun to play in.â€

thayes@bristolnews.com| (276) 645-2570

Prep Pick

Bath County at Holston

Holston’s players have anticipated this matchup since Bath County eliminated the Cavaliers from the postseason a year ago. Under the direction of head coach Will Fields, Bath is used to being in the playoffs: The Chargers are playing in their third straight regional title game. The Chargers have also played a tough schedule, but so has Holston, whose only two losses came to playoff teams. Look for Holston to hoist the trophy after another thriller in Damascus.

Prediction: Holston 18, Bath County 14

Life has many choices---eternity has two