Better media, radio coverage needed for Virginia football

Bluefield_Rules

WV Metro News has done an excellent job of promoting high school football statewide with the weekly Metro News "Game Night" radio show and uniformed, statewide coverage of the Super Six. Game Night has taken high school football in the state to another level in my opinion and really polarized the high school fan bases across the state enhancing the experience.

Virginia is in serious need of similar setup, at least for the state championship games. There isn't a centralized broadcast of the games (that I know of) and to my knowledge very few of them will be broadcast outside of the areas the finalists represent. Very few of the teams participating have internet broadcast available of the games, so as a fan if I wanted to listen to the games today I’d be S.O.L. What are the thoughts of the Virginia crowd on the development of a statewide radio show dedicated to high school football in the state?

i agree...it would be nice to at least have all of the SWD games online...but if you could get some sort of local radio show that dealt with the schools at all levels west of Salem it would be nice.

I was about to say....the coverage is pretty good here in the New River Valley...I forgot about my time living in SWVA when the coverage sucked...WDRL out of Lynchburg will show tape delayed broadcasts of some of the title games on TV over the next few days...as far as radio coverage goes...I know that Floyd County has no radio affiliate. I was hoping that PSK out of Pulaski would pick up the game today, but it doesn't appear that they will. I assume that the game between Gretna and Floyd will be webcast at nrvradio.com

well VHSL is not going to do it, but it would be nice if some of the local radio stations could get behind it and help make it happen...if Richlands, Tazewell, and Graham can have the games online the rest of the SWD could as well....and it wouldn't be that hard to get an hour or two long show together that all of the stations could carry...but...until someone puts up the money it's not worth talking about...everything is about the money as usual...which sucks.

The WV$$AC is all about the money as well, probably more so than the VHSL. At least your state title games are staged in the same parking lot with a gambling facility and strip joint. The key is to find a news organization, such as WV has with Metro News, to put together something.

My one complaint with Metronews having exclusive coverage of the Super Six is that the two guys calling the game (who do OUTSTANDING work, btw), have not seen either team prior to the championship game.

I would propose the home station of each team get to do their own broadcasts, then Metronews do a state-wide broadcast (as it does now) for the stations that are not the home stations across the state.

As a young broadcaster, it would be terrible to call a team's games all the way to Wheeling, then get frozen out of the title game itself.

My one complaint with Metronews having exclusive coverage of the Super Six is that the two guys calling the game (who do OUTSTANDING work, btw), have not seen either team prior to the championship game.

I would propose the home station of each team get to do their own broadcasts, then Metronews do a state-wide broadcast (as it does now) for the stations that are not the home stations across the state.

As a young broadcaster, it would be terrible to call a team's games all the way to Wheeling, then get frozen out of the title game itself.

I agree, BUT the current setup is better than nothing at all. Of course, for those of us in Bluefield not having to listen to Bob Redd do the title game when Bluefield gets there is a welcome change.

GA has a pretty good set up for the state championship games. The finals are always broadcast on the Georgia Public Broadcasting TV station that is carried by the local cable companies. They have been doing this for a number of years (not sure how many). These games are also streamed on the net....in fact watched the state semi AAAAA last night Camden County against Newnan on the net (though I could have watched it on tv).

When the finals are played at the GA Dome next week for A, AA, AAA, AAAA, AAAAA on Friday and Saturday these games will be on T.V. and streamed on the net at http://www.gpb.org/football/watch. (You can also see archived games)

They also did a live blog on the net last night updating scores and key plays on the other state semi games going on around the state. It was great.

Does VA have a public broadcasting station? If they did, maybe that could be a possibility.

Interesting ... Bogaczyk (formerly of Roanoke) did a story about this yesterday.

http://www.dailymail.com/Sports/PrepSports/200812050154

------

VHSL wouldn't have anything to do with this.

And, apparently, football isn't as big of a draw in most other parts of the state as it is down here.

Major problem is size... Va. has more than twice as many teams as WV.

Start with 60 minutes... take out 12 for sponsors leaves you 48. That's 16 minutes per group, 4 minutes per Region. If you use the 2nd half to update scores from the 1st half, that's 2 minutes per, barely enough to run the scores and comment on 1 game.

Another problem is getting stations to actually run it. About half the jocks are out the door 10 minutes after the game is over, which makes it hard to even get their scores. You want them to stay ANOTHER hour and a half? Funny.

Actually, we tossed the idea around in Grundy a few years ago of having a SW VA deal. Didn't pan out. ANYBODY who knows anything about football is AT A GAME on Friday nights.

my point being internet for those who have to work or are out of the area and can't go to the games...and a show for two hours or so (until midnight) after the games that could be picked up area wide west of Salem by all stations AM and FM if wanted...you would need a big sponsor for the main show but each station coul get its own sponsors for local breaks as well...mini syndication I guess it would be like.

I would argue that football in general is not as big as it could be around here due to the lack of coverage...we live in remote areas and take Carroll County for instance...the other teams in the SWD can't even get news articles about those guys unless they play another SWD team.

who could stand to listen to those BDT guys for 2 hours????

I get tired of Dave by the 4th quarter. I kill Hypes after the first "How 'Bout" call, and I always tuned Lloyd out before the 1st series was over (knowing his style helped a lot there... I could listen to 2-4 other games while he was on... can't do that here. Actually, did that once here, a couple of months back.)

Edited by VHSLhelper

who could stand to listen to those BDT guys for 2 hours????

I'd rather listen to anyone talking about football rather than the same old crap you get 24/7 around here on any radio station....same old stuff they have been playing for 20+ years.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

If they are constantly getting scores and talking to coaches, they dont have to do much talking. That is why WVMetronews succeeds. Every coach or play by play man can call in and tell about the game...

they don't care about anything else...........

Now they charge you to reenter if you want to leave the stadium between championship games. They used to let you keep your ticket stub and use it for the second game.

WV Metro News has done an excellent job of promoting high school football statewide with the weekly Metro News "Game Night" radio show and uniformed, statewide coverage of the Super Six. Game Night has taken high school football in the state to another level in my opinion and really polarized the high school fan bases across the state enhancing the experience.

Virginia is in serious need of similar setup, at least for the state championship games. There isn't a centralized broadcast of the games (that I know of) and to my knowledge very few of them will be broadcast outside of the areas the finalists represent. Very few of the teams participating have internet broadcast available of the games, so as a fan if I wanted to listen to the games today I’d be S.O.L. What are the thoughts of the Virginia crowd on the development of a statewide radio show dedicated to high school football in the state?

Cox Communications broadcast the D6 and D5 finals live in the markets that have Cox as their cable outlet. Most of those were in NOVA and Tidewater; closest one to this area was Roanoke.

I don't know which game WDRL had yesterday, but their rebroadcasts leave a lot to be desired, to say the least.