Conference Championship games...

GMan

The ACC just doesn't get it...look at these numbers...

Big 12 Championship

Columbia to Kansas City...129 miles

Norman to Kansas City...367 miles

Total miles traveled by both teams: 496 miles

MAC Championship

Buffalo to Detroit...256 miles

Muncie to Detroit...275 miles

Total miles traveled by both teams: 531 miles

SEC Championship

Tuscaloosa to Atlanta...202 miles

Gainesville to Atlanta...334 miles

Total miles traveled by both teams: 536 miles

C-USA Championship

Tulsa to Tulsa...0 miles

Greeneville to Tulsa...1237 miles

Total miles traveled by both teams: 1237 miles

ACC Championship

Blacksburg to Tampa...756 miles

Boston to Tampa...1348 miles

Total miles traveled by both teams: 2104 miles

Pretty easy to see why attendance at the ACC Championship game is so terrible...

C-USA Championship

Tulsa to Tulsa...0 miles

In all reality, this could be a whole lot closer. Both Houston and Rice are located in Houston, TX and they both had shots at playing in the title game just a few weeks earlier. I think the total distance is 12 miles from the each school. The C-USA Championship is hosted at the team's home field which has the better overall record, conference standings, head-to-head, etc. Personally, I think that this is a very fair way to do a conference championship, but traditionally it isn't very economically advantageous.

Guest BEAVERTAIL
In all reality, this could be a whole lot closer. Both Houston and Rice are located in Houston, TX and they both had shots at playing in the title game just a few weeks earlier. I think the total distance is 12 miles from the each school. The C-USA Championship is hosted at the team's home field which has the better overall record, conference standings, head-to-head, etc. Personally, I think that this is a very fair way to do a conference championship, but traditionally it isn't very economically advantageous.

Its probably cheaper for the conference as they only have to put up for hotels and food for one team. However, its not so great for the fans, but the stadium will be pretty full i would imagine...

ESPN says there were 53,927 in attendance at the ACC Championship game...

They also say there was only 22,000 at the Tulsa-ECU game...

If I were a betting man, and I am sometimes, I'd put money on it that there were more people actually in the stadium at the Tulsa-ECU game than there were at the ACC Championship game....

ESPN says there were 53,927 in attendance at the ACC Championship game...

They also say there was only 22,000 at the Tulsa-ECU game...

If I were a betting man, and I am sometimes, I'd put money on it that there were more people actually in the stadium at the Tulsa-ECU game than there were at the ACC Championship game....

I've seen more people at a Beaver/Graham game than I saw at Tampa yesterday. It reminded me of a crowd for a high school state championship game played in a college or NFL stadium.

Noticed the ABC crew refrained from taking many wide angle crowd shots. They showed one guy with a Taylor jersey (closeup) and he had no one around him on either side. You can partially blame the economy for the lack of support, and the fact it was a rematch from two teams, who quite frankly, aren't as good as they were last year. Several years ago ESPN was doing something for the schoolastic show that Chris Fowler used to host on DB's basketball coach Buck VanHuss, and they were trying to orchestrate the crowd as they came in, afraid it wouldn't be full in a GC/DB game. They wanted us all to sit on one side of the gym so they could show a full crowd. Like that was going to be a problem :)

I have to agree that Cincy may be one of the better draws for VT in a bowl game, i don't think they would lose to Boise St. this year, because i have watched them several times, and i don't think their D is good enough to keep Vt from running the ball at will. Utah is good, but not great they have been beaten twice, and the teams didn't have anyone who could kick a 30 yd field goal. I expect them to get beaten in a bowl game. The big 12 teams all have suspect Defenses. I know the offenses are all prolific, but you don't get the ball back, you can't score. (not that VT could grind it on them) I think Florida will beat the team they face, and Alabama is good. VT definately didn't want USC,FLA,Bama or Oklahoma. :)

The ACC just doesn't get it...look at these numbers...

Big 12 Championship

Columbia to Kansas City...129 miles

Norman to Kansas City...367 miles

Total miles traveled by both teams: 496 miles

MAC Championship

Buffalo to Detroit...256 miles

Muncie to Detroit...275 miles

Total miles traveled by both teams: 531 miles

SEC Championship

Tuscaloosa to Atlanta...202 miles

Gainesville to Atlanta...334 miles

Total miles traveled by both teams: 536 miles

C-USA Championship

Tulsa to Tulsa...0 miles

ACC Championship

Blacksburg to Tampa...756 miles

Boston to Tampa...1348 miles

Total miles traveled by both teams: 2104 miles

Pretty easy to see why attendance at the ACC Championship game is so terrible...

Isn't the site determined BEFORE the season starts, so doesn't that kind of change every thing? What if GT and FSU were playing would't the miles be quite a but less? Btw if both teams dislike the travelling couldn't they just go back to the Big East?

Isn't the site determined BEFORE the season starts, so doesn't that kind of change every thing? What if GT and FSU were playing would't the miles be quite a but less? Btw if both teams dislike the travelling couldn't they just go back to the Big East?

To answer your question, yes the game site is determined before the season starts. It is determined years before actually. The way it is set up now, it would make one think that it caters to the "traditional" powers of the ACC with the likes of the University of Miami and Florida State. If Miami had won the Coastal and FSU won the Atlantic, don't you believe they would have drawn a larger crowd?

But to address your question: Why would VT and BC want to go back to the Big East? If you don't like the particular distance to travel to a certain game then there is a very simple way to solve that problem as in staying home and watching it on TV. The trends will speak for themselves when they see the geographic locations of the teams and the attendance which is being drawn. The only people who are feeling the ill effects of a poorly located game is the ACC itself. Both Tech and BC fans are just fine watching it from home.

And frankly, I don't think Cincinnati and Pitt would like VT, BC, and Miami to make a return to the Big East. :D

I guess we can add you to the list of those that don't get it too...

Atlanta to Tampa...457 miles

Tallahassee to Tampa...257 miles

714 miles total miles to travel...STILL more than all but C-USA...

Even if the two Florida school played each other, 542 total miles for FSU & Miami, it would still be more travel than all but C-USA...but the Florida schools have pretty much been absent from the ACC Championship game...

Just as with the ACC basketball tournament, the football title game should be played in the state of North Carolina. And since Charlotte has the only major football stadium, it should be played at Charlotte each year. Yes, the weather of Florida in December is great, but outside of that there isn't a positive of playing the game there.

Just as with the ACC basketball tournament, the football title game should be played in the state of North Carolina. And since Charlotte has the only major football stadium, it should be played at Charlotte each year. Yes, the weather of Florida in December is great, but outside of that there isn't a positive of playing the game there.

The Big 12 plays it's championship game in cold weather and I believe that Charlotte is still warmer than Kansas City this time of year.

To answer your question, yes the game site is determined before the season starts. It is determined years before actually. The way it is set up now, it would make one think that it caters to the "traditional" powers of the ACC with the likes of the University of Miami and Florida State. If Miami had won the Coastal and FSU won the Atlantic, don't you believe they would have drawn a larger crowd?

But to address your question: Why would VT and BC want to go back to the Big East? If you don't like the particular distance to travel to a certain game then there is a very simple way to solve that problem as in staying home and watching it on TV. The trends will speak for themselves when they see the geographic locations of the teams and the attendance which is being drawn. The only people who are feeling the ill effects of a poorly located game is the ACC itself. Both Tech and BC fans are just fine watching it from home.

And frankly, I don't think Cincinnati and Pitt would like VT, BC, and Miami to make a return to the Big East. :D

The thing that gets me the most is that people are always trying to find a way to down VT and/or the ACC. Who Cares if they didnt have a big crowd at the game? Im sure both schools made enough money from that game that it didnt even matter that anyone showed up. Its definitely not from lack of fan support. VT has one of the biggest following in America.VT fans are loyal no matter where they have to go. When they played FSU for the NC back in 1999, they had a huge following. Like you said, with the economy the way it is why waste money driving all the way to Tampa, now, when you can be more comfortable sitting at home watching it on a Big Screen HD television with a better view of the game than most people could afford at the actual game. Plus the snacks are cheaper at home, lol! Im sure VT and BC didnt mind traveling to the game, it was for the championship. Besides the weather was much better in Tampa than in Blacksburg lol.