When was the Last Time We had a real snow event

wvuraiders

for instance more than 8 inches or so seems to have been a long time....Cold air never in place no more...we just get lake effect 5 inch max snows...big snows have long been gong...Anyone remember...does not have to be blizzard like 93 but just a good snow????

The last large snow event in Bluefield was in January 1998. Depending on where you lived you got 24"-30" of wet heavy snow. The snow was so heavy, there were several roof collapses in the area.

I remember it because the weather guy for WVVA predicted snow showers with less of an inch of accumulation before the snow ended. A major oops.

I think we had a 10-12 inch snow fall in March of 2000, but it was gone in a day.

The last large snow event in Bluefield was in January 1998. Depending on where you lived you got 24"-30" of wet heavy snow. The snow was so heavy, there were several roof collapses in the area.

I remember it because the weather guy for WVVA predicted snow showers with less of an inch of accumulation before the snow ended. A major oops.

I think we had a 10-12 inch snow fall in March of 2000, but it was gone in a day.

I remember the one in March of 2000...went to work that morning, no snow but gloomy overcast that looked like it would dump. And dump it did. By the time I went home that evening, 10" of snow on the ground and the sun came out just before sunset.

I also remember the one in January of 98...the golf shop was closed but I had to drive up to FCC to get golf clubs for some members who were heading out of town. The road was half cleared up to the parking lot and then an area big enough to turn around was cleared. Ended up carrying three sets of clubs from the bagroom to the cleared circle through 30" of snow. At least I got a nice "tip" for doing that...

I remember the night before that storm in '98, the forecast called for just flurries in Bluefield. Two days later I remember thinking those flurries got a little deep for my liking. I remember Dad and I trying to clear the driveway all day and you could see a very pretty bluish tint in the snow from all the water that was in it. I don't remember ever seeing that before. That low pressure center just stalled off the coast and kept pumping in the moisture over the area for several hours. Thank God we got that Ford Ranger the Summer before or else who knows when we would have gotten out! It was fun driving that thing around that week!! lol

I remember the night before that storm in '98, the forecast called for just flurries in Bluefield. Two days later I remember thinking those flurries got a little deep for my liking.

I remember back in high school, my junior year during baseball season, the forecast one day was for "partly cloudy skies with highs in the low 40s"...no mention of ANY precipitation...we ended up with 16" of "partly cloudy"...we practiced in the parking lot for the next three days after they had scraped the snow off of it....

I remember back in high school, my junior year during baseball season, the forecast one day was for "partly cloudy skies with highs in the low 40s"...no mention of ANY precipitation...we ended up with 16" of "partly cloudy"...we practiced in the parking lot for the next three days after they had scraped the snow off of it....

Did you practice sliding into base on the parking lot? lol

I've wondered this often myself. There were 3 years with 24''+ snowfalls in a row: '96, '97, '98. None since. Wouldn't you guys say we're overdue for one? ;)

Well, things usually come in threes...I remember large snowfalls in '85, '86, and '87. But with this "global warming" thing, who knows??? I just hope it doesn't kill the palm trees in my backyard...:D

I was reading some stuff over in KY and they mentioned big winter storms like the '93 and '98 storms usually run in the 10-15 year range for the area. So it would seem that we are due one. The way this winter has started off, things look good...although usually there's a warm up on the other side of these cold months, so hopefully we aren't wasting these early ones with the months that bring better chances. We just happened to miss these last two storms over here, which this current one is a little more of an ice situation in KY though. The one before put down some 6 inch snows over there and had a little thing happen called "dynamic cooling" which is what happened in the '98 storm. Too bad it didn't track just a little farther east and have a little better push of cold air. We can't seem to break down the southeast ridge enough and keep the moisture in with the cold air long enough. But I'd say we're going to see another in the not so distance future.

We had a 5-10 inch snow in Lee a couple of years back. One of the few to actually get much of that. Just happened to have a heavy band of snow set up right over us in the west-northwest flow and train over the area. One of those rare ones, but its been a while since we've seen a big one, prob. '98.