Does anyone know Bluefield's 2009 Football schedule yet?

edrforshey

Very hard to compare. Again we are talking about the predomiate running games of old against the evolution that has taken place in the pass game. Can remember the day when you didn't pass because you were afriad it would get intercepted, and it usually did.

SW VA Football has changed.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

always difficult to debate what teams were better, especially from different times, 1 thing to always consider is that it's often a match up of styles that can often make a difference.
Yes but 8 shut outs is very respectable really hard to to that now

Guest BEAVERTAIL
Very hard to compare. Again we are talking about the predomiate running games of old against the evolution that has taken place in the pass game. Can remember the day when you didn't pass because you were afriad it would get intercepted, and it usually did.

SW VA Football has changed.

On both sides of the state, while there may be more athetes on any graham/bluefield/richlands team who dominated in the past than this year, Will Cole would dominate for at least a half because of the change in offense. Hard to overcome something you have never seen.

Yes but 8 shut outs is very respectable really hard to to that now

But, did they had the backs to match the receivers of today and if they did how many bodies would they have left in the box.

Hard to compare.

They were the best in their time.

Yeh, I think the '89 team did have the DBs to match the WRs of today's offense. The only other defensive backfield that could compare in quality to the '89 team's was the '81 team's DB (Peery, Massey, Neal), although the '01 defensive backfield wasn't too bad either. The difference is the '89 team had the D-line and LBs to go with it and made for one of the best defenses I've ever seen on a high school football field. Yes, even better than that Richlands D from a few years ago.

The 20 points Giles scored against them were on the first four plays Giles had the ball...the single wing had the D perplexed but they made adjustments and didn't allow another a point after the midway point of the first quarter.

The Rustburg game also shows how strong this D was. Granted, that game was played in 6" of mud at Mitchell Stadium but Rustburg came into the game averaging about 45 points per game and had blown out everyone (Seminole District teams) up to that point. They scored one TD and the game was never in doubt.

And the Championship game was the icing on the cake shuting out Southampton and their 265lb running back named Ford who had torn holes in opposing defenses all season. Southampton even had a sign "Have you been run over by a Ford lately?", a play off of Ford's "Have you driven a Ford lately?" ad campaign. I think they held him to about 80 yards on the day.

The offense of the '89 team was CLASSIC Graham offense...a HUGE line, a QB that didn't make mistakes, and a stable of hard-nosed running backs. Graham didn't pass the ball a whole lot that season but when they did, they were very effective thanks to a couple of sure handed ends.

It was a "strange" season as well. The Christiansburg game was called at halftime due to a severe thunderstorm with lots of lightning and heavy rain. The game resumed on Monday night.

The next week, the game at Grundy was postponed due to Hurricane Hugo blowing through the area causing power outages and flooding. That game was played on the following Monday in Grundy.

The eight straight shutouts garnered national attention as the G-Men received a blurb in the USA Today newspaper. ESPN decided to cover the Graham-Salem game for its high school sports show, Scholastic Sports America. Graham had its worst game of the year against arguably the best team in all of Class AA that season and lost by a score of 23-6...both the shutout streak and undefeated season were over.

Salem would likely have won the D-4 State Title that season had it not been for an injury to their QB, current Salem Head coach Steve Meganbauer. Blacksburg, who Graham had shutout 26-0 during the regular season, upset the mighty Spartans and went on to win the Class AA, D-4 title that season.

And finally, the game against Southampton is, was, and probably forever will be the only time that a Virginia State Championship is played outside the state of Virginia.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually you are correct about the C-burg game, but Graham played Grundy that following Friday. The score was 41-0 in favor of Graham. That was a very nice post G-Man, it brought back a lot of memories. It even made me think about King Kong behind the home side bleachers. haha

On both sides of the state, while there may be more athetes on any graham/bluefield/richlands team who dominated in the past than this year, Will Cole would dominate for at least a half because of the change in offense. Hard to overcome something you have never seen.

I don't know about that.......With Chris Patton and Lance Barbour shooting the gaps on both sides of the center I don't know if Cole would have had time to set up to throw. Seriously........Those were the quickest linebackers I ever saw. And although Cole is a great quarterback, I have never saw him complete a pass on his back.

Actually you are correct about the C-burg game, but Graham played Grundy that following Friday. The score was 41-0 in favor of Graham. That was a very nice post G-Man, it brought back a lot of memories. It even made me think about King Kong behind the home side bleachers. haha

You better check your records...the Friday of the Graham-Grundy game, Hurricane Hugo roared through our area and all the area games were cancelled. Graham and Grundy played at Grundy on Monday night in a mudfest...

You likely saw it to but unless I read it wrong or it changed they had 2 different games scheduled for the possible dates of the bluefield game. I could be mistaken and read it wrong though.

What RCB did was move the B'port game back to the week they played Bluefield in 2008 knowing full well they were under contact to play Bluefield that week. I hope Bluefield stands their ground on this and forces the forfeit b/c I have a feeling had the score of last year's game been different RCB would have been more than willing to play in 2009.

Actually R C Byrd might actually have had a signed contract with Bridgeport for 10/2/09 week 6 of this coming season, before they ever signed a contract with Bluefield in 2008.

RC Byrd moved their week 6 game in 2008 against Bridgeport to week 2, that's how the Bluefield vs R C Byrd game about in 2008.

So, if they had signed a 2 year deal with Bridgeport they probably did so long before the 2008 contract with Bluefield.

So R C Byrd might not have to honor anything with Bluefield.

That's is why I keep asking, Does anyone know Bluefield's 2009 Football schedule yet by dates?

Actually R C Byrd might actually have had a signed contract with Bridgeport for 10/2/09 week 6 of this coming season, before they ever signed a contract with Bluefield in 2008.

RC Byrd moved their week 6 game in 2008 against Bridgeport to week 2, that's how the Bluefield vs R C Byrd game about in 2008.

So, if they had signed a 2 year deal with Bridgeport they probably did so long before the 2008 contract with Bluefield.

So R C Byrd might not have to honor anything with Bluefield.

That's is why I keep asking, Does anyone know Bluefield's 2009 Football schedule yet by dates?

Could be. However, RCB was trying to get out of playing Bluefield altogether in 2009. And Nov. 6 would be Week 11 and the last I heard Beaver was playing G. East that week. Maybe Bluefield was able to move some games around and will play RCB in Week 11.

Wheeling Park has listed in week 11 on 11/06/09 at R C Byrd.

So this makes R C Byrd playing 2 games in week on 11/06.

Someone, somewhere has really got a mess to get straighted out.