Fishing

Big Orange 1

Does anyone on here bass, trout, or walleye fish in the area. I thought, maybe we could post some reports, pictures, and the like for those of us who fish. I havent been in a couple of weeks, but we were catching some nice smallmouth on South Holston using flies tipped with minnows. Come on, gotta be some anglers out there.

I don't hunt or fish but I love wildlife and we're in the woods as much as possible, the closest I come to a wildlife sort of hobby aside from my black bear and bobcat ptojects is putting out our 3 wildlife cameras. I use them on video mode most of the time, and I archived almost every photo or video I got this past fall on a site.

I got some videos in nov but didn't upload them there yet, and I took the cameras down around hunting season. Most of these animals are on our land in bland county, infact most of them are actually close to the house, even the bear and bobcat.

These cameras don't actually put out any light, they use ir, and the only thing you see from the camera is a soft red glow..

I was surprised to get video of a bobcat that low on the mountain around there and that close to our house.

http://crypticcreatures.blogspot.com/2008/10/bobcat-oct-6th-8-44.html

in this 1 a bear actualy knocked my camera off the tree but it proved to be a tough camera

http://crypticcreatures.blogspot.com/2008/10/bear-oct-16th-709-in-evening.html

you have to click on the videos for them to play

Edited by buzzsawBeaver

I used to go fishing all the time...not so much the last couple of years. I mostly go flyfishing for trout and smallmouth. Most of my trout fishing has been in Giles Co. (Little and Big Stony), Smyth Co. (South Fork of the Holston), and Washington Co. (Whitetop Laurel). I also fish the tailwaters of South Holston and Wautauga in Tennessee. For smallies, I usually stick with Wolf Creek (Bland Co.) or the New River. But I also will go chasing those species as well as large mouth bass with a spinning rod on occassion. I bet I've got over $3500 worth of flyrods/reels and spinning rods/tackle that hasn't been used for a while...not to mention the several hundred dollars worth of fly tying materials I've got boxed up in dry storage.

I really want to start fishing on a regular basis again. I used to go once or twice a week, every week, regardless of the weather or water conditions. For some reason, other things have crept into my "fishing time" and I haven't been for a while. But I'm going to make it a point to go fishing every chance I get this year.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

It is too cold to flyfish anywhere around here right now... We tried this weekend for a little while at Wolf creek when the weather tried to warm up but it is too cold right now unlike in TN. We resorted to Coyote hunting, which didnt work out that well because of the wind killing our calling range.

But Orange, I fish for all of the above, I also would throw in catfish, my favorite gamefish with stripers. Honestly Im also ready for some bowfishing. I do most of my fishing on Claytor and the New/Greenbrier, throw in some farm ponds. Concord gives me a chance to fish Pipestem a lot, but it just doesnt intrigue me, at least the pond. Ill post my experiences when it gets warm enough.

Honestly I think this board would benefit from an outdoor/hunting/fishing area... I think we have a lot of outdoorsman on the board.

It is too cold to flyfish anywhere around here right now... We tried this weekend for a little while at Wolf creek when the weather tried to warm up but it is too cold right now unlike in TN. We resorted to Coyote hunting, which didnt work out that well because of the wind killing our calling range.

What part of Wolf were you fishing??? The only time its "too cold" to flyfish is when the water is frozen...you just have to fish deep and slow, smack the fish on the nose with the fly then hope he gets mad and inhales it.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

We were right around the golf course... Honestly the creek wasnt that frozen in some other spots, but we were and so were our reels. We went to a few of our better holes, but they were almost completely covered. Ice was forming on my reel, I think it was around 3 or 4 degrees on friday afternoon and sat morning it was almost zero... Casting was impossible with the wind, you gotta give it your best roll cast and pray, esp with the wind swirling, you couldnt get a feel for it.

Conditions were so bad on us, we went coyote hunting like I said. That was my first winter experience, usually I spend my weekends rabbit hunting but with the increase of feral cats there are no rabbits. I dont know if I will go back or wait for spring honestly...

My 13-year-old cousin caught a 10 pound, 1 ounce largemouth at Lake Witten two years ago. He surely did, and it's mounted in my grandfather's living room as proof. An absolutely huge fish.

Virginia Game and Inland Fisheries classified the fish as a largemouth, but I've caught largemouths myself, and there's no way this fish is a largemouth. I've looked at it, studied it, and I just cannot see it. Were it to be classified as a smallmouth, it would own the state record by nearly a pound, I believe.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

It would also be about 1+ pounds under the WR.

Post us a pic, I would love to look at it.

I don't hunt or fish but I love wildlife and we're in the woods as much as possible, the closest I come to a wildlife sort of hobby aside from my black bear and bobcat ptojects is putting out our 3 wildlife cameras. I use them on video mode most of the time, and I archived almost every photo or video I got this past fall on a site.

I got some videos in nov but didn't upload them there yet, and I took the cameras down around hunting season. Most of these animals are on our land in bland county, infact most of them are actually close to the house, even the bear and bobcat.

These cameras don't actually put out any light, they use ir, and the only thing you see from the camera is a soft red glow..

I was surprised to get video of a bobcat that low on the mountain around there and that close to our house.

http://crypticcreatures.blogspot.com/2008/10/bobcat-oct-6th-8-44.html

in this 1 a bear actualy knocked my camera off the tree but it proved to be a tough camera

http://crypticcreatures.blogspot.com/2008/10/bear-oct-16th-709-in-evening.html

you have to click on the videos for them to play

I thought about getting my dad one of those motion/heat sensing cameras for his bday coming up. Any recommendations on price/brands/quality? I guess video isn't all that important unless there is a cheapish one out there that has that feature.

Guest BEAVERTAIL
I thought about getting my dad one of those motion/heat sensing cameras for his bday coming up. Any recommendations on price/brands/quality? I guess video isn't all that important unless there is a cheapish one out there that has that feature.

From just messing with trail cams which are quite similar, actually the same, you get what you put into it usually. You buy something cheap dont expect great pics, good battery life, and a long life. If anyone has any info on these Id love to hear them, I am in need of a new one... Dang bears.

"I thought about getting my dad one of those motion/heat sensing cameras for his bday coming up. Any recommendations on price/brands/quality? I guess video isn't all that important unless there is a cheapish one out there that has that feature."

"From just messing with trail cams which are quite similar, actually the same, you get what you put into it usually. You buy something cheap dont expect great pics, good battery life, and a long life. If anyone has any info on these Id love to hear them, I am in need of a new one... Dang bears."

wildlife cameras are evolving with technology just as fast as most everything else. There's different ways to approach it, as beavertail mentioned, quality costs, the most reliable cameras out there seem to be buckeye cams, mainly the buckey apollo, but it's around $500, But it has a very fast trigger, exceptional sensor, and the newest models have a "real" invisible flash, that literally puts out no light, these are also very reliable and few are ever reported with problems.

It's an investment, but something to consider, depending on where you put your cameras, is they're at the mercy of thieves if they're seen. You can buy security boxes and lock them with python cables, but even that isn't always full proof.

There are reasonably good cameras that cost a lot less, and that's the route I personally go, I'd rather be able to put cameras out at different locations.

The cameras I have are some of the better selling cameras of the past year, the scoutguard550s and they sell for around $200s.

These are actually very small cameras, about the size and weight of a can of pop, they have video or photo modes, and use a remote control that you plug into the camera, sort of like a small usb port, and you use that hand remote to adjust the settings, which is a reason they were able to make it so small. These use 8 aa batteries and seem to have very good life if you get a good camera. They store data on sd cards.

Overall it's a good camera and the size of these really can't be appreciated till you use it.

They key is at this cost, sometimes cameras might have a bad sensor or something, just goes with the production of cheaper electronics, but if you buy from a place such as beebusy outdoors, where I'd recommend, the guy there who slls these things, joe, will replace your camera if there's anything wrong, and will mail you a different 1 even before he's received the defective camera back. But overall most cameras are good cameras, just sayin these aren't as reliable as a 500$ buckeye apollo obviously. If you buy fro joe at beebusy you're covered in that he'll see to it you get a good camera if something goes wrong. the other thing about scoutguard cameras is that unlike say multrie cameras, they aren't mass produced by a company that has many other products, the scoutguards are all this company does and so they have much better customer service and tend to have higher quality for a cheaper camera.

They expect to have a different model in '09 and this 1 might actually have sound with the video, as more expensive cameras sometimes have.

As for video photo modes, I didn't really have an interest in the video mode till I started using the cameras and the videos tend to be much more enjoyable and tell you a lot more about what the animals are up to than the photos. Most people who start using the video mode rarely go back to the photo mode.

They take reasonably good photos though, this was a good 1 of a heron on wolf creek at the bridge at my parents house

IM000005-1.jpg

this is 1 of mine on a small tree

green550-1.jpg

this site reviews trail cameras and has a an active message boards with imput from the actually makers of some cameras such as the scoutguard and joe from busybee is active there, I wouldn't buy from anyone else,

http://chasingame.com/

http://www.chasingame.com/forum/index.php

So my recommendation would be the scoutguard ordered from joe at beebusy and the security box and a python cable

that's everything I can tell you about these cameras, peace

Nice vids!

I don't think I'd want to mess with that bear...or the bobcat for that matter...

that bear was actually a smaller bear, if I had to guess from other videos, not even as big as my chow mix, so likely maybe 2 feet at the shoulders.

wildlife cameras are evolving with technology just as fast as most everything else. There's different ways to approach it, as beavertail mentioned, quality costs, the most reliable cameras out there seem to be buckeye cams, mainly the buckey apollo, but it's around $500, But it has a very fast trigger, exceptional sensor, and the newest models have a "real" invisible flash, that literally puts out no light, these are also very reliable and few are ever reported with problems.

It's an investment, but something to consider, depending on where you put your cameras, is they're at the mercy of thieves if they're seen. You can buy security boxes and lock them with python cables, but even that isn't always full proof.

There are reasonably good cameras that cost a lot less, and that's the route I personally go, I'd rather be able to put cameras out at different locations.

The cameras I have are some of the better selling cameras of the past year, the scoutguard550s and they sell for around $200s.

These are actually very small cameras, about the size and weight of a can of pop, they have video or photo modes, and use a remote control that you plug into the camera, sort of like a small usb port, and you use that hand remote to adjust the settings, which is a reason they were able to make it so small. These use 8 aa batteries and seem to have very good life if you get a good camera. They store data on sd cards.

Overall it's a good camera and the size of these really can't be appreciated till you use it.

They key is at this cost, sometimes cameras might have a bad sensor or something, just goes with the production of cheaper electronics, but if you buy from a place such as beebusy outdoors, where I'd recommend, the guy there who slls these things, joe, will replace your camera if there's anything wrong, and will mail you a different 1 even before he's received the defective camera back. But overall most cameras are good cameras, just sayin these aren't as reliable as a 500$ buckeye apollo obviously. If you buy fro joe at beebusy you're covered in that he'll see to it you get a good camera if something goes wrong. the other thing about scoutguard cameras is that unlike say multrie cameras, they aren't mass produced by a company that has many other products, the scoutguards are all this company does and so they have much better customer service and tend to have higher quality for a cheaper camera.

They expect to have a different model in '09 and this 1 might actually have sound with the video, as more expensive cameras sometimes have.

As for video photo modes, I didn't really have an interest in the video mode till I started using the cameras and the videos tend to be much more enjoyable and tell you a lot more about what the animals are up to than the photos. Most people who start using the video mode rarely go back to the photo mode.

this site reviews trail cameras and has a an active message boards with imput from the actually makers of some cameras such as the scoutguard and joe from busybee is active there, I wouldn't buy from anyone else,

So my recommendation would be the scoutguard ordered from joe at beebusy and the security box and a python cable

that's everything I can tell you about these cameras, peace

This was great. Thanks for all the information and taking the time to make some recommendations!

It would also be about 1+ pounds under the WR.

Post us a pic, I would love to look at it.

I'll certainly get my fiancee to take a picture of it with her nice digital camera the next time we're back home together. I might be able to get my dad to do it here this weekend. It's a beautiful fish. Beautiful and BIG.

This came 1 year after he caught TWO 5-pounders within a week of each other...at 11 years old. Without his dad's help. I tell you, I don't know if he's picked it up in scouts, but he's got some sort of gift.

Does anyone on here bass, trout, or walleye fish in the area. I thought, maybe we could post some reports, pictures, and the like for those of us who fish. I havent been in a couple of weeks, but we were catching some nice smallmouth on South Holston using flies tipped with minnows. Come on, gotta be some anglers out there.

After football season my mind shifts to the spring runs on Cherokee and Douglas.

Love wade fishing and chasing the white bass, hybrid, walleye, and crappie runs.

With the snow water run off and below 20 temps not much need to think about it now.

When we catch one of those 4 or 5 day warming trends and the water temp starts to rise, look out. Interesting thing about the above mentioned lakes is there holding the tales higher than over the past few years. If you know Cherokee its between the Quarry and Robinson Creek right now. Douglas is a somewhere below Leadsville. Not a fly fisherman but have seen some 6 to 10lbs hybrids beening caught with fly rods in last few years. If the weather is right look for hybrids below the Quarry just after next full moon.

that bear was actually a smaller bear, if I had to guess from other videos, not even as big as my chow mix, so likely maybe 2 feet at the shoulders.

That's big enough for me...:D

That's big enough for me...:D

f_TheOfficeThm_4f3cce0.jpg

But seriously I like the videos that was cool stuff, I've seen 2 bears in the 7 years i've lived here which is pretty good is what i have been told. One was just a cub but another one walked out in front of our car driving to hillsville in the middle of the day pretty sure it was a full-grown adult but it was a big bear.

f_TheOfficeThm_4f3cce0.jpg

But seriously I like the videos that was cool stuff, I've seen 2 bears in the 7 years i've lived here which is pretty good is what i have been told. One was just a cub but another one walked out in front of our car driving to hillsville in the middle of the day pretty sure it was a full-grown adult but it was a big bear.

You'll see bears when you least expect it sometimes. I kid you not the biggest bear I've seen was crossing the highway right at the entrance to the graham recreational park, about 7 years ago me and the dogs were driving down there late at night to walk up in there and I saw what I thought was a huge dog, bigger than a sain bernard crossing the highway in front of us then realized it was a big bear.

Then I kid you not, about 3 years ago I was driving down college avenue not far from the va. state line around midnight and my dogs went crazy like they do when they see a dog and I saw a big black "dog" running through someone's front yard, then realized it was a reasonably good size bear reacting to my dogs barking and it seemed confused as to where to go and went back in forth in 2 people's front yards before running up between the 2 houses into the woods heading over the hill going towards stadium drive.