Just Curious..............

Catch11

Get Money 55, weve seen that they were very competitive against the AAA state champion South Charleston last season, but the question is tho could they do on a weekly basis, especially in the MSAC

One is game is just that. A complete season versus the top teams in the state would be tough.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha CPF I didnt mean to downplay it at all. I am psyched for this year's upcoming season, as are everyone of the Bluefield football players. They know they can acheive greatness: One because you are preached that as a Beaver football player, Two because they know the talent they have returning. This Bluefield team, with the talent and experience returning, will be very, very dangerous. The "young" mistakes shouldn't be there, the explosiveness that has been Jake Lilly and Marcus Patterson will be on the field AGAIN, and the transfering of Allen and Powell only add to the fire power.

Also, once again for the doubters, I take my references from the state champion coach who said that Bluefield would be successful in the MSAC. I would believe him over anyone else. Yes, even you fieldgeneral.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

Bluefield is the best team south of charleston almost every year, and garner the most media attention and scouting attention.Honestly, football in princeton and football in bluefield are 2 completely different things I could understand why someone would want to come to Bluefield.

That being said, I hope they dont come.

Welcome to Mercer Co. transfer football....Big numbers can be put up when you play oak hill and mt. view every other week.....congrats to bluefield--enjoy your wins with a princeton backfield--how will jake and patterson like that......i'm sure they will be fine when winning but if something goes wrong lets see what happens--when players start running the asylum and put themselves up to the highest bidder you see what kind of character they have...I haven't been on here for a while and I look forward to all the bluefield banter---maybe coaching has something to do with it--i doubt it--I played for Spadaro when we kicked Blfd. butt every year....kids running the asylum--welcome to Mercer Co./Tazwell Co. football where success is bread by thr transfers that come in--what ever happened to Bluefield winning with their own players?

You simply posted about 2 of the lowest caliber teams on bluefield's schedule in '08, does princeton even have a game the likes of bluefield graham, the closest game to that for princeton their rivalry against "bluefield". Bluefield simply doesn't play a common aa schedule or you're point might be much more valid. They play a schedule that is highly competitive and often tougher than a lot of aaa teams actually play. The best team bluefield played in '08 wasn't even south charleston, it was the charlotte team that they'll be playing again in '09.

Richlands has been a top quality opponent, they're trading them for gate city. Scott and james monroe have been upper level aa competition for years. Consider the martinsburg, south charleston aaa teams that are common to bluefield's schedule and that's a very tough schedule, and not to mention a very diverse schedule. Tnen you have the playoffs, as mentioned that can equal almost a 2nd season in only 2 or 3 years at bluefield, that's a lot more football.

Bluefield is a high profile program that gets a lot of statewide mention, especially post season, and they're very likely to be in wheeling in '09 and '10, the exposure of playing for bluefield would be much more for a player than that of playing for princeton, that's simply a fact.

Princeton does have some good teams from time to time and they do seem to wear down and be inconsistent, so i'm not disrespecting them or the task they have in aaa. But bluefield's schedule and prowess in aa is simply not that of a common aa team. aa is often the most competitive classification in the playoffs to.

whatever happened to bluefield having their own players, exactly who was mike davis who princeton benefited from in '02 and '03? Davis could have very well made a huge difference for bluefield in the db against poca in the '02 title game and in ;03 against poca it was a 4th down pass that enabled poca to score to tie the game and force overtime. Davis was an exceptional db and could have made a big difference in those results, but he was playing for princeton in '03 and '04, making key interceptions in games such as princeton's upset over then #1 university at university, not at bluefield..

Princeton benefited from tony wallace and jamie ealy from bluefield in their backfield in the '80s to. Bluefield's had numerous players transfer to graham over the decades to.

Personally this type of situation takes away from what football is supposed to be about...character, dedication, commitment, hard work, ethics, perseverance , love for your team mates........our kids are growing up too fast, these are not NFL players , they are kids in high school......the rules keep changing.......and some rules need changing, and some should be honored............mercer county needs to make their coaches accountable for their program....they should have to answer to someone, but they dont......a coach in mercer county can stay in his or her position for as long as they want as long as they dont hit a player or curse him out to extreme measures.......whose fault is that, it is the responsibility of the mercer county school board to have some guts and come up with a plan to hold coaches accountable for the success and failure of their program.........it is the coaches responsibility to recognize that the program is about the kids in the program...not about themselves. a coach should know when it is time to let someone else try to improve the program..a coach should love his program enough to want to see it have a chance to get better even though it might take another coach to do it ........that is a sadness that some coaches should recognize and it is sad that the community and school board knows it and yet does nothing to change it....on the other hand...a successful coach should put the kids who have been dedicated to his program ahead of kids who havent been part of his program....as far as kids go...........i think there are 3 types of players, impact players, average players and players who cant play........all 3 can make great contributions to their teams...the impact players aren’t owed special treatment , they should feel that it is their responsibility to be leaders and make their team better....every day should be another day they contribute to their team..... they shouldn’t leave their team mates to play on a better team..........they should stay and be leaders for their team...they should go to weightlifting everyday, they should run full speed on every lap and every sprint............that way, they take responsibility for their role on their team..........it is so easy to blame everything on the coach and leave.............but impact players can make their team better by accepting responsibility for everyone......average players must continue to work to try to make that one good play every now and then that impacts the game.............and the players who cant play......need to understand that their impact for the team is in practice , they should strive to make the good players better.....................so when we compare football to life.this sad story is a good representation of the world we live in today....if you dont like your wife.....divorce her. if you don’t want to support your kids, ignore them...........and back to football.............if you don’t want to accept your role on your team....quit and go somewhere else.............if you don’t believe the kids you have, have earned their right to be an impact player........put them on the bench, and bring in new ones to take their place............i guess these kids involved and bluefield too, believe that winning is more important than your real family anyway.....that is the sadness of this......i think bluefield and princeton are both losers on this situation.

Edited by duhwhat

the problem that i have with tevin leavin princeton for bluefield is that he can really go play for a Division I school. but i def agree and know from experience that playin in the MSAC conference is a killer and AA ball is not as competitive as playin in the MSAC so he would not get as noticed like he would playin AAA ball.

bluefield no doubt will be sick this year but i believe that the thing that could bring this team down is the selfish attitude of powell.

Ansel Ponder got noticed. Yubrenal Isabelle got noticed. Charlie Tynes got noticed. Will Cole got noticed. Need I continue? The key to receiving serious notice from college scouts is to attend the summer camps around the country, not by simply playing for your school.

Exactly. Hardly any recruiting comes from what you do in games. You think Josh Jenkins was noticed by pushing around the tiny defensive linemen in West Virginia? No...he was noticed by going to summer camps and performing well against quality players. Same with Will Cole, Cody Wassum, Ansel Ponder, Shaun Brooks, JT Powell and the others players who have received D-1 attention from Bluefield High School in recent years.

You perform well in not only the state of WV but any state, and don't attend camps to further work your own recruiting, you'll end up at a small, in-state school. These days, you recruit yourself. You put your name out there...that's just how it works, ESPECIALLY for the kids playing in lower football quality states such as WV.

Bottom line is this.........good players don't wan't to play for douchebag coaches. And if you are a douchebag coach, and your players are leaving to play elsewhere ,or not playing at all, then maybe you should consider resigning and let someone else do the job. I can think of two right of the top of my head that fall into this category.

And Bluefield is reaping the benefits...

I played for Spadaro when we kicked Blfd. butt every year....k

I'm just wondering when this happened??? I NEVER remember Princeton beating Bluefield every year... they'll screw up and win one every now and then, and act like it's the championship and say "hey - I'm from Princeton... we usually suck, but we beat Bluefield this year".

during my Soph year, we went 1-9... the only win was against Princeton. even on our worst years, we still beat Princeton

Edited by total

I'm just wondering when this happened??? I NEVER remember Princeton beating Bluefield every year... they'll screw up and win one every now and then, and act like it's the championship and say "hey - I'm from Princeton... we usually suck, but we beat Bluefield this year".

during my Soph year, we went 1-9... the only win was against Princeton. even on our worst years, we still beat Princeton

2000-2001-2002.....guess you forgot those years Mr. E.........great job on the banter of " hey...we usually suck"...very classy.....I do not speak for any other Princeton fan or former player I only speak for myself and my thoughts ...I have not berrated any Bluefield player or fan...I have expressed my views....to those who will continue to bash that is fine, we are all big boys....

***Coach Messeinger said that Bluefield would be competitive in the MSAC--as he knows if transfers keep coming in they can compete with anyone in the state (but if I remember correctly, the last time Bluefield was in AAA they went 0-10)

***Who was the 2007 transfer--how about your QB--he didn't leave the nice big house behind Fincastle (just ask the Doctors on the block)

I would say that was the ONLY 3 year period in the history of this rivalry where Princeton beat Bluefield all 3 years... I don't have the stats in front of me, but that's just a guess. We beat Princeton every year that I played (90, 91, 92), and I'm sure many players from all decades can say the same.

Also, when talking about Bluefield in AAA... you might want to include the number of AAA championships we won as well.... we probably have as many AAA titles as you all have AAA playoff wins

I would say that was the ONLY 3 year period in the history of this rivalry where Princeton beat Bluefield all 3 years... I don't have the stats in front of me, but that's just a guess. We beat Princeton every year that I played (90, 91, 92), and I'm sure many players from all decades can say the same.

Also, when talking about Bluefield in AAA... you might want to include the number of AAA championships we won as well.... we probably have as many AAA titles as you all have AAA playoff wins

Congrats!

Ansel Ponder got noticed. Yubrenal Isabelle got noticed. Charlie Tynes got noticed. Will Cole got noticed. Need I continue? The key to receiving serious notice from college scouts is to attend the summer camps around the country, not by simply playing for your school.

Ponder got noticed with the help of an outside source. Sure he recieved letters and this and that, but he got an offer thanks to Gravely. Yubrenal was amazing and his play spoke for itself. Charlie Tynes was a good one as well. Princeton has had their fair share of D1 talent and graham has had some too, even an NFL super bowl champ. The point is that playing in AAA in the toughest state conference will get you opportunities to be seen on any given night. Recruiters in the stand to see you or someone else. If you make plays, you could be noticed. Summer camps are a great way to get noticed as well, but to say playing for your school won't get you noticed is crazy. Play hard, make plays, get a highlight DVD, go to camps, go to class and make the grade. All things will help. Playing on a bigger stage against better athletes helps too.

Welcome to Mercer Co. transfer football....Big numbers can be put up when you play oak hill and mt. view every other week.....congrats to bluefield--enjoy your wins with a princeton backfield--how will jake and patterson like that......i'm sure they will be fine when winning but if something goes wrong lets see what happens--when players start running the asylum and put themselves up to the highest bidder you see what kind of character they have...I haven't been on here for a while and I look forward to all the bluefield banter---maybe coaching has something to do with it--i doubt it--I played for Spadaro when we kicked Blfd. butt every year....kids running the asylum--welcome to Mercer Co./Tazwell Co. football where success is bread by thr transfers that come in--what ever happened to Bluefield winning with their own players?

The unhappy Bluefield players can always transfer to Graham...

Isn't there some kind of "future plan" to consolidated Princeton and Bluefield WV? Was talking to a engineer stundent which was talking about the new interstates. Said something about Tri-Mercer or something like that.

I may very well be wrong, but I don't see that happening in our lifetime.

To comment on the Princeton acting as if they win the super bowl when they beat Bluefield, here's a funny thing for ya.....

My brother in law, a former high school football player and D-1 commit from South Florida, visited my family this Christmas. We attended the Bluefield/Pikeview basketball game at PSHS and as he walked back from the bathroom he says "Nine and two and you get your picture on the wall? Are they serious? Ten and three..'we believed', are you kidding me? Please let me find one of their administration members so I can tell them they made a mistake and MUST HAVE accidentally put a picture of a 'playoff' team on their wall that 'believed'."

This all coming from a guy who never set foot into Princeton High School, grew up in South Florida, and was completely serious. He went on to say "At my high school, we didn't get a highlight tape if we went 7-3, let alone a picture on the wall."

Personally, I agree. I know a few Princeton players from this year's squad who considered this year's Bluefield game the "best night of my life" and "best game ever." A night when they beat their rival, but yet another year when nothing else was acheived. At Bluefield High School, championship teams get their pictures hung high. At Princeton High School, playoff and teams that "believed" get their pictures up. There is your main difference, classification or not. I mean, could you imagine (this to anyone who has walked around BHS) if Bluefield hung up pictures of playoff teams? We wouldn't have room for the tennis, golf and, basketball championship pictures.

Edited by GetMoney55

I may very well be wrong, but I don't see that happening in our lifetime.

I agree, I can't see where it would be financially beneficial anyhow, if anything a more likely situation would be bluefield montcalm consolidation, and if anything on a big scale more likely would be princeton pikeview, but I doubt that's beneficial in any way either.

Isn't there some kind of "future plan" to consolidated Princeton and Bluefield WV? Was talking to a engineer stundent which was talking about the new interstates. Said something about Tri-Mercer or something like that.

I've heard nothing of consolidating Princeton and Bluefield...and I wouldn't count on it anytime soon if there was a plan...

And what new "interstates" was your friend talking about??? The "Road to Nowhere" they've been working on for 20 years??? Going to be a LONG time before that's completed. It'll be at least another 10 years before the road in Bluefield where they're building the new bridge reaches Bluewell...

I've heard nothing of consolidating Princeton and Bluefield...and I wouldn't count on it anytime soon if there was a plan...

And what new "interstates" was your friend talking about??? The "Road to Nowhere" they've been working on for 20 years??? Going to be a LONG time before that's completed. It'll be at least another 10 years before the road in Bluefield where they're building the new bridge reaches Bluewell...

Actually not a friend just somebody I got to talking to in a business. He was a engineer student appling for a job with the DMV. He had went to some smaller college in WV I hadn't heard of. Evendently he was repeating the sepculation (hopes) and knowlege that was going around the school.

Sounded like the hope was that their would be a push on this Obama plan to accelerate road projects. Said something about the Coal Field Expressway project in Mingo county had pretty much started on all their sections. Was talking about Wyoming and McDowell almost completing a couple getting ready to start some others. Said something about an intersection in Welch with 73.

Trust me I have no illusions I know it will take decades but it was very interesting.

And if it is not common knowlege to somebody in Bluefield than I have the answer to my question. I have to wonder who"s planning board he was looking at.

If Bluefield can give South Charleston that much of a game what kind of monster would you have if you combined Princeton and Bluefield. Not likely to happen but something interesting to streach the mind with on a cold winter day. I'll say no more.

If Bluefield can give South Charleston that much of a game what kind of monster would you have if you combined Princeton and Bluefield. Not likely to happen but something interesting to streach the mind with on a cold winter day. I'll say no more.

I agree it would seem good but 1 thing to consider is that for some reason, tradition, particular coaching staffs, former styles, sometimes seem to have the opposite effect on success when combined with other schools. A school that comes to mind for example is riverside in aaa, an up and down powerhouse in aaa dupont that combined with powerhouse east bank and to this point doesn't have any titles to show for it almost 12 years later and really hasn't had a team that really even threatened for a title that I can recall.

Sometimes the chemistry of a program shouldn't be toyed with....

since this post has started to move in about 10 different directions from its original , i'll add my opinion to one of the ideas.

i have always felt that when mercer county did all the consolidations it would have been better to set it up the following way..............2 high schools ( princeton and bluefield) a rezoning would take place in the county for those 2 high schools..........4 middle schools ( bluefield, princeton, pikeview, and glenwood area) .that way the small towns could still keep their elementary schools. ...........you would have 2 high schools with somewhere between 1200 and 1500 students...and you would have 4 middle schools with approx. 6 to 700 students that would have sports that could play each other home and away ....that would give the football teams 6 games every year and only have to find 2 other games to complete their schedule and cut down on the rediculous travel they have to do on school nights.......some of the pikeview territory could go to the bluefield school and the rest to princeton.........montcalm and bramwell area would be at bluefield......the middle schools of princeton and pikeview would go to princeton and the bluefield and glenwood middle schools would go to the new bluefield high. ........to me this makes more sense than all the consolidation during the pikeview opening that virtually left all the old schools open anyway...........to me as far as sports goes.......you would have middle schools that can compete with each other and cut expenses and travel down.and you would have 2 high schools that would be in the mid to upper level AAA teams that would have a chance to compete, year in and year out in all sports not just 1 or 2........and education opportunities would be greatly increased with technology on the same level.

Edited by duhwhat

Actually total, the three years you and i played, not only did princeton not beat us any of those three years in football, but they never even scored a point on us. And in respect to the playoff pictures on the wall, i have laughed about that for years. Not only do they get their picture on the wall for playoff teams (god thats hilarious) but "we believe" actually came from bluefields motto we have used for 40 years. I don't blame this guy from princeton being bitter, they just lost their two best players to their arch enemy. Sad thing is princeton isn't a big rivalry for us anymore. But we are to them. And you wanna talk about transfers, how bout one of princetons linemen, who played for princeton last year as a senior after starting out at bluefield. No doubt beating us this year was his greatest (and only) highlight of his playing career. As he classlessly returned out onto the mitchell stadium field and spat on the logo at the 50 yard line at the end of the game. C-l-a-s-s-l-e-s-s