what's the weather like?

total

I know a lot of people are without power right now, but I was just wondering what kind of wind damage was in the area. we were in church and had no idea, but it was like a war zone in princeton trying to come home. we couldn't come the normal way of old oakvale road because trees were down in the road. then we go out to the main road... there where McDonalds and Dairy Queen is, and in the Hundai lot, there is like a big metal heap of something... we were just looking at it like - what is that? then we came up the road a little bit, and the roof of that motel beside Shoney's had blown off and over onto the Omelet Spot...

so, what's going on anywhere else?

I know a lot of people are without power right now, but I was just wondering what kind of wind damage was in the area. we were in church and had no idea, but it was like a war zone in princeton trying to come home. we couldn't come the normal way of old oakvale road because trees were down in the road. then we go out to the main road... there where McDonalds and Dairy Queen is, and in the Hundai lot, there is like a big metal heap of something... we were just looking at it like - what is that? then we came up the road a little bit, and the roof of that motel beside Shoney's had blown off and over onto the Omelet Spot...

so, what's going on anywhere else?

I went out for ice since our power was out after the wind died down a little and had to drive all the around the sleep in behind Lowes to get to the BP and saw all the lights and damage. I drove by this morning and took some pictures. I'll try to get them loaded on here to see this evening. It's pretty crazy, looks like a tornado hit it, but I guess they were just high winds.

Yep, our store (McDonald's) on Oakvale Road sustained damage to the sign, Playland, and roof. The manager said it was "like a tornado" had hit over there.

I was sitting in my living room with my dog watching through a bay window as the storm was blowing through...you know how they say a tornado sounds like a train, well you could hear this wind coming too...not only that but you could hear "crashing" sounds...I guess it was the trees that were being knocked down. I started to grab the dog and head for shelter away from the windows as the bay window began bowing inward...about that time, the power went off. First thing that came to mind was "I wonder if this is what its like just before a tornado hits..." That was probably some of the strongest wind I've witnessed in a long time.

I know there are tons of BIG trees down in my neighborhood...especially along Memorial (close to the school), that street that turns off of Memorial close to the school and Oakhurst. We lost power from 7 PM until about 3 AM. I really figured that I'd have trees down in my yard (one huge oak tree and a couple of fir/spruce trees along the back property line) but in all honesty, the wind seems to have "cleaned" my yard out...almost looks like someone raked up all the leaves and twigs.

You know i experienced similar winds in the Princeton area. I was feeding my son and I heard the roar of the winds, similar to what you might would imagine a tornado sounds like. I opened the door and stuck my head out and heard flying objects crashing into other things as well as tree liimbs crackling and the rain being wind driven into the house.

Honestly, I moved my son and I into the kitchen away from the windows and was close to heading to the basement. I'd say those are the strongest winds that I have witnessed. I remember tropical storm Hugo and don't think that those winds were as strong as what I saw last night.

My roof in Sedgewood in Bluefield in in my yard, my neighbor across the street's garage and all over the neighborhood. Already have trouble with getting an adjuster by to look at it and get it covered before the rain and snow comes back tomorrow.

Not a happy camper.

last I saw - that big heap of metal something is still in the front of the car lot (across from McDonalds). it looks like metal roofing from something / somewhere???

and as for the motel 8 and omelet shop - WOWSA!!! I couldn't really see it last night, but I saw it good today. it didn't just blow off a piece of the roof, it blew off the entire roof!!! and all in one giant piece. it covers the omelet spot, the parking lot, a bunch of cars/trucks, and goes all the way to the back of the lot. it was KrAzY. and trees are just broke off all over the place. there is one biggun that got uprooted and is laying on the house (on old oakvale rd).

and fieldgeneral, if you live so close to BP to where you went there for ice... then we must be close. I live behind Lowes.... but we never lost power.