Grundy fan question

uvahooelse

I am from wytheville and would like to pose a question. I was attending an AAU tournament in Marion this weekend and observed how rude the Grudny parents and players were toward the opposing fans and players. Is this typical? During one game the players were laughing at an opposing players injury? Whats up over there?

I am from wytheville and would like to pose a question. I was attending an AAU tournament in Marion this weekend and observed how rude the Grudny parents and players were toward the opposing fans and players. Is this typical? During one game the players were laughing at an opposing players injury? Whats up over there?

I was at the tournament as well and I`m sure you are referring to the girls game against the Smyth Co. Wizards. The parents were terrible, the girl was injured with a few seconds to go. I was wondering if it was just an AAU thing because when I go to Grundy for high school games I haven`t seen the same behavior.

You certainly can't label all Grundy fans from the behavior of one tournament. I am from an opposing Varsity school in their district and have found the Grundy fans to be extremely nice to us at both the home and away games......regardless of who was winning!

You certainly can't label all Grundy fans from the behavior of one tournament. I am from an opposing Varsity school in their district and have found the Grundy fans to be extremely nice to us at both the home and away games......regardless of who was winning!

I agree. I as well being from an opposing district school have never had any problems playing against Grundy home or away. Their parents are like any other parents in the SWD. They want their kids to compete and hopefully win their games, matches, etc. As for the kids laughing on the bench, who knows what they were even laughing at. Probably cracking jokes with one another that had absolutly nothing to do with the injuried player.

However, if a parent was laughing about an injury I think that would be a problem.

thanks to the one's who had nice things to say, and i'll add there is a FINE line between Grundy High School Golden Wave, and grundy lady gladiators AAU..who have nothing to do with the school.

I know this for a fact. I have been to football, basketball, and volleyball games at Grundy. As far as the high school we were treated with respect and the people were very friendly. As far as the Gladiator team I believe they could learn some sportsmanship from the high school fans. I do not let the way they acted influence my opinion of Grundy.

I know this for a fact. I have been to football, basketball, and volleyball games at Grundy. As far as the high school we were treated with respect and the people were very friendly. As far as the Gladiator team I believe they could learn some sportsmanship from the high school fans. I do not let the way they acted influence my opinion of Grundy.

Somebody help me out here. I know in West Va. you can not play AAU while your season is still going. Is this the case in Va. as well?

My daughter plays for the Lebanon AAU team and we were there playing in the tournament that your talking about. You must have seen something we did not. We were there at the exact game you mentioned and when the wizard girl was hurt no one laughed. As a matter of fact I myself witnessed several grundy players and parents ask her if she was ok after the game. I told my daughter that was a sign of good sportsman ship. We have never had any problems with any of the Grundy players or parents or anyone else other than the Wizards coach. You also failed to mention that the night before when my daughters team had to play the Wizards that the Wizards coach got so out of hand the cops had to be called. He lost his temper at the refs and proceeded to throw a chair onto the floor. Talk about being a bad role model. Then the following day after Grundy beat them he started another argument with a different set of officials and was asked to leave causing yet another scene. Everyone forgets that these girls work hard several months out of the year only trying to better their basketball career. Besides being negative toward any team GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Funny how things can get turned around so backwards. My granddaughter plays for Tazewell and we had to play directly following the game everyone is talking about. I agree with longhorn. The gym we played in was horrible. If you went two feet out of bounds you went headfirst into the bleachers on either side of the court. The wizards girl looked like she hit the bleachers. They should've pushed the bleachers in before the games started making it safer. Anyways the coach was furious he did not get a foul and got into it with the refs. I looked up and they were pushing one another. Try explaining that to your 9 yr old granddaughter. I saw no one laugh. I think everyone was shocked at what transpired afterwards. This is my granddaughters first year playing travel ball and I am amazed how people can act. I call things like I see it, if Grundy acted out of hand I would say it. So sorry to disappoint you all, hate to put an end to your elementary made up story but thats not the way it happened.

Just to set the record straight...

longhorn fan and Chargers posted from the exact same IP address...and registered from the same IP address...within a minute of one another...

Just sayin'....

My daughter plays for the Lebanon AAU team and we were there playing in the tournament that your talking about. You must have seen something we did not. We were there at the exact game you mentioned and when the wizard girl was hurt no one laughed. As a matter of fact I myself witnessed several grundy players and parents ask her if she was ok after the game. I told my daughter that was a sign of good sportsman ship. We have never had any problems with any of the Grundy players or parents or anyone else other than the Wizards coach. You also failed to mention that the night before when my daughters team had to play the Wizards that the Wizards coach got so out of hand the cops had to be called. He lost his temper at the refs and proceeded to throw a chair onto the floor. Talk about being a bad role model. Then the following day after Grundy beat them he started another argument with a different set of officials and was asked to leave causing yet another scene. Everyone forgets that these girls work hard several months out of the year only trying to better their basketball career. Besides being negative toward any team GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT!!!!!!!!!:mad:

You get your facts straight bud. I was there for the Lebanon/Wizards game and the Wizards coach had plenty of reason to be upset. That was the worst job of officiating I have ever seen and I never complain about officiating seeing is how I am one myself. The funny thing is that Lebanon stilll could not win even though it was such a lopsided called game. Five Wizards girls fouled out, give me a break. I do not have a girl that plays with the Wizards so I am unbiased so I believe you need to get your facts straight.

Edited by HurricaneWarning

By the way, the cops were called due to parents arguing in the lobby, not due to the coach. And another thing, he did not attempt to throw a chair onto the flloor, he threw it back behind him where there was noone around. I see your problem. That is because you see everything one-sided because your daughter plays.

I wasn't at the game mentioned, but it seems the parents and coaches were out of hand or am I wrong. I'm all for supporting your kids. Oh and how much were these officials getting paid. Nothing, I would suspect. You couldn't get me to ref an aau game for any amount of money. I'd say the kids got over it as soon as they stopped at McDonalds after the game. To bad the adults can't act like the kids sometimes.

The game was so one-sided that our fans from Wytheville started counting fouls. The wizards team had 15 in the second half compared to 4 for Lebanon. Maybe the coach was tring to make a statement. It was so one-sided that everyone in the gym started pulling for the Wizard team because of the bias. Also, I found out that the Wizards are reigning regional champs, runner up state participants, and finished 18th in the Nationals. I believe they are the Duke of AAU. A lot of jealously and bias toward them.