Official 2009 Weight Loss Thread

Guest BEAVERTAIL

Guest BEAVERTAIL

So Im willing to bet that most of you made resolutions to drop a few pounds, like myself.

But here we are 2 months later, and are any of you guys still on it? I didnt really take it serious till about 2-3 weeks ago but I have been hitting it hard, only not working out 2 of those days, and I am feeling great.

Just thought we could use this board as motivation, share some ideas, tips, recipes, and so on.

Anybody want to lose weight or started to? Even get in shape?

Not me, I don't make "resolutions" I know I can hold to...matter of fact I'm up about 8 pounds since Christmas...I'm so close to the 210 mark I can taste it...no wait, that was just lunch I tasted...if getting in shape includes drinking beer and smoking cigars, count me in...

I've lost about 5 lbs since Friday. My doctor did some blood work last month and found that my thyroid function was off so he sent me to Dr. Mena in Princeton and I had a thyroid scan. The scan showed that my thyroid isn't really working at all so Dr. Mena gave me thyroid hormone, some supplements, and put me on a "five small meals per day" diet. Apparently that's the diet to go with for hypothyroidism.

I will lose some weight just from taking the thyroid replacement hormone... which will increase my metabolism (as I basically had none since my thyroid wasn't working) and give me energy to be more active. That combined with the diet should help me take off a lot of weight.

"five small meals per day" diet.

Sounds like my normal diet 'cept they're not "small meals"...:D

Seriously though, sorry to hear about the thyroid problem...those things are hard to get a handle on...

Lost 13 pretty quickly but haven't been at the gym as much with one of the three of us here getting sick with the stomach bug or head cold or something. I've kept it down, just haven't lost anymore.

My wife purchased the biggest loser workout, cookbooks, and calorie guides and they are pretty good. We just gotta use the gym more often.

I've eat more chicken... salads and meat which means less carbs.. so far I've lost right at 30 lbs with no exercise!! i'm gonna start golfing soon.. I"m going to walk rather than ride and drink diet rite cola instead of bud-wiser!! lol... So far I've lost weight but my energy level isnt where it should be i guess.. of coarse i gotta lazy streak.

Edited by porchy

I've eat more chicken... salads and meat which means less carbs.. so far I've lost right at 30 lbs with no exercise!! i'm gonna start golfing soon.. I"m going to walk rather than ride and drink diet rite cola instead of bud-wiser!! lol... So far I've lost weight but my energy level isnt where it should be i guess.. of coarse i gotta lazy streak.

I've lost 25 pounds since november...But lately the beer hasen't let me lose anymore lol

I've lost 25 pounds since november...But lately the beer hasen't let me lose anymore lol

i gotta get on some kind of exercise program.. My metabolism has quit.. lol... What kind of diet did you loose your 25 on?

I eat more chicken too...the other night I hit the KFC buffet...final count...3 breasts, 4 wings, 2 thighs, and 8 legs...

BTW, golf isn't exercise...play with me one time, you'll see...

I eat more chicken too...the other night I hit the KFC buffet...final count...3 breasts, 4 wings, 2 thighs, and 8 legs...

It is if you walk and play like I do...I chase my ball all over the place.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

Got on the scales today, dropped 15 pounds from the start, almost 3 weeks ago. And honestly, I found a way to drink beer. I stopped drinking milk altogether. I would drink a gallon on average in 2 days, and even though its skim, thats a lot of calories. Beer and water are the only things I drink now.

Got on the scales today, dropped 15 pounds from the start, almost 3 weeks ago. And honestly, I found a way to drink beer. I stopped drinking milk altogether. I would drink a gallon on average in 2 days, and even though its skim, thats a lot of calories. Beer and water are the only things I drink now.

Nice work buddy!! Keep it up! I've been trying to get into better shape. I used to be a pretty good runner, and I've been wanting to drop my times back down. I'm down to 18:30ish for 3 miles. Pretty good, but I want to drop more. It sucks, because I've plateaued for the time being. I'd appreciate encouragement. Haha.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

Keep it up, nothing is better than going out on a run! I used to be a "runner" I ran in a 10k, 8k, and 5k and they were so much fun. I mean I wasnt competitve at all but the atmosphere is great. Im looking to start running in them again here soon.

There is nothing like running OUTSIDE. I went running in the snowstorm the other day and had so much fun. I honestly love running and need to get back into shape where I can do it more often. You honestly can get addicted. Im going at 7 in the morning!

I've always had a problem with my weight, ever since I was little. It's from the plain and simple fact that I ate like a horse nonstop until I turned 18. I lost 92 pounds my first year of college, even getting to where I could run an 8:00 mile (something I could only dream about in school). Unwisely, went back to my old eating habits, putting all that back on and then some until last May, when I got a rude wake-up call from my doctor's scale.

Since the last week of May last year, I've lost 61 pounds of that by using strict moderation in my eating (basically, a modified Weight Watchers). Less food in general, more fruits, less pizza, etc. I had lost 75 pounds, but then I let it go over Christmas and just last week got back on it. I've still got MUCH more to go until I hit my ultimate goal. And it might take more than a year. But I'll get there.

hahaha.. i hear ya... like i said.. i gotta go slow! That KFC Buffet is on my diet also!! I gotta take care of my figure!! haha

But all kidding aside.. i did get a good report on my cholesterol this week! So its a start i guess!

Excellent UVAObserver!! Sounds like you got it going on... Keep up the good work... Pizza has always been a killer for me.. Its one of my fav goods... i still do it like 4 pieces with salad maybe once a week. Its kinda like a reward!! hahaha

Edited by porchy

Since the last week of May last year, I've lost 61 pounds of that by using strict moderation in my eating (basically, a modified Weight Watchers). Less food in general, more fruits, less pizza, etc. I had lost 75 pounds, but then I let it go over Christmas and just last week got back on it. I've still got MUCH more to go until I hit my ultimate goal. And it might take more than a year. But I'll get there.

Congrats, Observer on your weight loss. You are a goal-oriented person and I have no doubt you will be successful in this. Just to throw something out there, (TruBlue was the one who told me about this, a non-certified researcher-lol), you need to drink pomegranate juice, very rich in antioxidants and a booster for your immune system, also helps in fighting cancerous tumors. I get mine at Wally World, Northland 100% pure pomegranate juice--32 oz size, $3.88. If you buy, make sure it is the 100% pomegranate.

Life has many choices---eternity has two

Juice probably isn't a good idea on a diet. It's healthy but also calorie dense. Eating the actual fruit has fewer calories plus you get the fiber.

I blew my 4:30 mini-meal today by drinking apple juice after a phlebotomy... They want you to drink something sweet so I didn't really have a choice... but it had 220 calories out of the 300 I allow myself for each mini-meal. That left only 80 calories for food. An actual apple only has about 50 calories.

Of course, a unit of blood weighs a little over 4 lbs so I can say I lost that much just today

Juice probably isn't a good idea on a diet. It's healthy but also calorie dense. Eating the actual fruit has fewer calories plus you get the fiber.

I blew my 4:30 mini-meal today by drinking apple juice after a phlebotomy... They want you to drink something sweet so I didn't really have a choice... but it had 220 calories out of the 300 I allow myself for each mini-meal. That left only 80 calories for food. An actual apple only has about 50 calories.

Of course, a unit of blood weighs a little over 4 lbs so I can say I lost that much just today

The pomegranate juice is more for health benefits than a tool for dieting.

Life has many choices---eternity has two

Right, just saying the fruit itself gives you the health benefits with fewer calories plus all the fiber. Fiber has it's own benefits and you can actually subtract fiber calories (as well as fiber carbs) from the total count of the fruit.

I had a 20-piece McNugget, 2 McDouble's, a large fry, 2 apple pies, and a large Dr. Pepper for lunch today...

I can't wait for dinner...I'M STARVING...

You really need to watch that calorie intake, should have went with the Diet Dr. Pepper.