BDT-Breaking news: Historic structure collaspes in Blfd

tbgfan

http://www.bdtonline.com/homepage/local_story_058111600.html?keyword=leadpicturestory

Breaking News: Historic structure collapses in Bluefield February 27, 2009 10:42 am

Published: February 27, 2009 11:18 am

Historic structure collapses in Bluefield

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

BLUEFIELD — Another historic building on Princeton Avenue — the near century old six-story Hotel Matz/Hotel Milner — collapsed early Friday morning.

“I saw a big cloud of dust reminiscent of the building collapse in New York on 9-11,†Louis Bolyard, an employee of nearby First Community Bank, said. “I ran to the rubble to see if there was anyone there.â€

Police and firefighters had blocked off a portion of Princeton Avenue and routed traffic through the downtown while city officials decided on a course of action.

The hotel collapse also destroyed a portion of the historic Colonial Theater built in 1916. Emergency officials urged all motorists and individuals to avoid the area due to the danger of additional collapse.

City crews were working Friday afternoon to create detours around Princeton Avenue. The area is expected to be closed for several days due to the rubble and the potential danger of additional collapse.

For more on this story, and other news, see Saturday’s Daily Telegraph.

Life has many choices---eternity has two

That building was just a "disaster" waiting to happen...it was either going to fall in due to disrepair, as it did, or it would have eventually been "torched" by someone with nothing better to do.

Luckily, no one was injured (to my knowledge).

I'm all for preserving history, I have a degree in history, but when it becomes a danger to those around it, something needs to be done...this building should have been removed a long time ago...

Bluefield building collapse causes road closure

Posted: Feb 27, 2009 11:13 AM EST

c_fv_tl.gifFeatured Videoicon_video.gifRAW: Building collapse video, WVVA on scenepxl_trans.gif

9917734_BG1.JPGpxl_trans.gif

9917734_BG2.JPGpxl_trans.gif

9917734_BG3.JPGpxl_trans.gif

9917734_BG4.JPGpxl_trans.gif

Bluefield (WVVA) - A building collapse in downtown Bluefield causes Princeton Avenue to be closed to traffic.

WVVA's Vain Colby has been following the story all morning, and was told by officials on the scene that the Matz Hotel has been standing since 1911, and this morning, shortly before 9 a.m., the historic building simply collapsed.

According to the City Code Enforcement Officer, Gerald Steele, the building had been in a state of distress for some time.

Steele says the city has been working with the building's owner for the past several months in attempts to secure the building and find funding sources for needed repairs.

Attempts are being made right now to clear the debris in a safe, efficient manner.

"We had a catastrophic collapse of the front...30 feet of the building is sheered off," explains Steele. "We have got a demolition contractor on the way...to help access the building to determine what we can do to stabilize the structure so that it will be safe."

Steel also suggest with the wind advisory in effect for Mercer County, more damage is possible due to weather conditions.

"Right now we're just trying to keep people away from outside the collapsed zone and still accessing other damage that it may have done," says Steele.

The owner of the building may share the responsibility of demolition and clean-up, says Steele. WVVA has made attempts in contacting the building's owner for comment, but has received no call-back at this point.

Princeton Avenue will remain closed until further notice. WVVA News at Noon and WVVA.com will continue to monitor this story and bring details as they are released.

That building was just a "disaster" waiting to happen...it was either going to fall in due to disrepair, as it did, or it would have eventually been "torched" by someone with nothing better to do.

Luckily, no one was injured (to my knowledge).

I'm all for preserving history, I have a degree in history, but when it becomes a danger to those around it, something needs to be done...this building should have been removed a long time ago...

Completely agree.

Guest JJBrickface

Honestly, if I was in charge I would have that building among others in the area demolished. A building like this was way past preservation and the city should recognize that.

http://www.bdtonline.com/homepage/local_story_058111600.html?keyword=leadpicturestory

Breaking News: Historic structure collapses in Bluefield February 27, 2009 10:42 am

Published: February 27, 2009 11:18 am

Historic structure collapses in Bluefield

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

BLUEFIELD — Another historic building on Princeton Avenue — the near century old six-story Hotel Matz/Hotel Milner — collapsed early Friday morning.

The hotel collapse also destroyed a portion of the historic Colonial Theater built in 1916. For more on this story, and other news, see Saturday’s Daily Telegraph.

Life has many choices---eternity has two

Listen closely to video at 1:12 and 2:12

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV4Qy5u0E6I

Edited by trublue

Completely agree.

The sad fact is that the City of Bluefield did try to do something with the Matz building about 6 years ago and were stymied by the historic preservation folks with the State of WV.

I was at the library about 2 weeks ago and was walking up the street looking at that building and thinking how it was still standing, odd. I'm surprised no one was injured or worse, that was a big building.

Scary thing is they used to have paintball on 1 of the higher floors about 12 years ago, it was shaky then. It was exceptional for that to, an old dark, abandoned building with lots of corridors and boarded up windows.. That's not the only building I'd be wary of in downtown bluefield, but it was 1 of the worst.

It's a small miracle that no one was hurt or killed, the pictures say it all. Hinton's got a building that they're getting ready to tear down for the same reason. I've said for years that the abandoned buildings were an eyesore at best, maybe this will get some people off their butts and get the destroyed, but probably not.

It's a small miracle that no one was hurt or killed, the pictures say it all. Hinton's got a building that they're getting ready to tear down for the same reason. I've said for years that the abandoned buildings were an eyesore at best, maybe this will get some people off their butts and get them destroyed, but probably not.