BDT Player of the Year

the_truth

i think josh smith should really be considered for player of the year....he scored his 1,000th point and also grabbed his 1,000th rebound (becoming the first to do both at twin valley) and he is only a jr....but it will be close because palmer from graham is also a tremedous player

Edited by longhornpanther

palmer wins boys

hankins wins girls

lambert girls coach of the year

carlock boys coach of the year

The selections this year take some integity out of the award in my opinion, especially the girls' award. The top three or so girls' players in the region hail from a single team, Summers County (Emily Blevins, Hallie Gunnoe, Ashley Brown, and Lesile Mack), period. The award going to anyone, but Blevins or Gunnoe makes the award a complete joke. More comical is the fact I don't even believe Blevins received player of the week once this season. And the talent in the boys' game is so down that whoever won the award this year would pale in comparison to many of the past winners.

http://www.bdtonline.com/localsports/local_story_085231805.html

Bland sweeps girls awards

------------------------------------------

http://www.bdtonline.com/localsports/local_story_085231445.html

Palmer, Carlock claim boys honors

------------------------------------------

http://www.bdtonline.com/localsports/local_story_085232003.html?keyword=topstory

Hoop dreams

Life has many choices---eternity two

Edited by tbgfan

The selections this year take some integity out of the award in my opinion, especially the girls' award. The top three or so girls' players in the region hail from a single team, Summers County (Emily Blevins, Hallie Gunnoe, Ashley Brown, and Lesile Mack), period. The award going to anyone, but Blevins or Gunnoe makes the award a complete joke. More comical is the fact I don't even believe Blevins received player of the week once this season. And the talent in the boys' game is so down that whoever won the award this year would pale in comparison to many of the past winners.

Basically what you are saying is because a school is SINGLE A automatically means that the player can't possibly be as good as a Double A or Triple A player. How can you back that up?!?! I can see where a team might be better but to argue that a player may not be that good because they are from a single A school is not in line with reality.

Furthermore, in the boys award, even if you are correct and past winners were better, how does this diminish the award? You take the best at the present time and you include them in the the ceremony and the committe picks a winner. Don't take anything away from the Palmer kid because he won, your reasoning seems flawed.

But despite the fact that I disagree with you, I do respect your comments, I just don't agree with them.

I agree. Politics make it happen. Brandon Pauley didn't win the award once this year, after winning it in the years past. But 2 sets of people that I know of won it from MONTCALM, Pikeview, Bluefield, Graham, & I think even James Monroe. I'm not saying Jason Palmer didn't deserve it, but maybe they should try to spread the awards around. If the leading scorer in Tazewell County History didn't win it once after averging almost 20 ppg this season, this something might be wrong.

i agree right there with you....after becoming a leading scorer you would think pauley would have won a POTW award the week which is became the leading scorer.....i think there are some screws that could used tightening with that way they chose the POTWs

Basically what you are saying is because a school is SINGLE A automatically means that the player can't possibly be as good as a Double A or Triple A player. How can you back that up?!?! I can see where a team might be better but to argue that a player may not be that good because they are from a single A school is not in line with reality.

Furthermore, in the boys award, even if you are correct and past winners were better, how does this diminish the award? You take the best at the present time and you include them in the the ceremony and the committe picks a winner. Don't take anything away from the Palmer kid because he won, your reasoning seems flawed.

But despite the fact that I disagree with you, I do respect your comments, I just don't agree with them.

School size has absolutely nothing to do with and I never mentioned school size in my post. I simply stated that the girls from Summers County are the best players this area had to offer. Back when I was in high school, in the mid and late 1990s, the best players hailed from Mercer Christian Academy. During that time MCA was the smallest school in the state of WV, but they had the best teams in the state of WV regardless of class.

And my opinion on the boys' award was simply that the talent pool in the region is down significantly compared to years past. Congratulations to the Palmer kid, sounds like he had an outstanding season. It just saddens me to see the boys' basketball talent pool so diluted in the region.

Congratulations to both Laurel and Jason -- I saw both of them play several times this season.

Laurel maybe from a single A school - but she would start on any team which was represented last night or any team within the four seasons country - which is what the award covers -- she gives you everything she has each game and you can ask no more from anyone.

Jason is a class act on and off the floor - he and his teammates turned Graham's season around this year from what it was last year.

I agree leaving Brandon Pauley out of the honors just is not right -- he is now Tazewell County's all time leading scorer with 1600 [+ -] points -- no current player can surpass that mark - If you read Brian Woodson's column in last Sunday's paper he names Brandon as a player who should have received player of the week honors - the paper cannot cover each game - so it is important that games and stats get called in --