Richlands and Tazewell

Game should actually be tied 2-2 with runners on 2nd and 3rd and Elswick at the plate. Blayke Wilson scored the tying run on a hit by Reece Strong but the umpire said he didn't touch the plate. This umpire made controversial calls (both ways) all day long, including the JV game. I hate to see officials take heat for doing their job, but not as much as I hate to see a great game end on a blown call.

20090509-1179.jpg

Edited by BigD4VT

I forget his name but I hadn't seen him before. The plate isn't visible in any of the frames unfortunately, but the bat is exactly where Reece was standing (lefty) so unless the plate moved I'd say he touched it.

Hey BIG D good thing no one cares what you think. You can't see the plate in the photo so it provides nothing to the conversation. The Richlands coaching staff did not react to the call therefore it must have been the right one.

It was a well played game by both teams. Richlands and Tazewell both pitched very well. I don't remember there being any errors on either side.

Went down to watch the game. It was a classic. It looked to me like the Richlands player missed the plate. The umpire didn't move at the end of the play. He must have been sure of the call, as he was waiting for Tazewell to appeal or touch the plate. I do know it was not a force play; however, the baserunner left the playing field and entered the dugout. If he did miss the plate, then he would be out per appeal is my guess. The umpires were inconsistent no doubt. My hat is off to both Ethan and Trey. It was a well pitched game by both of those kids. Neither gave up very much to the other team.

Pay attention to the batter, the bat, the grey shirt, and the player sitting on the bucket. It's easy to see that his hand is where the plate is. When your hand slides across the plate you know if you touched it or not. If he wasn't sure then he would have made sure.

20090509-1173.jpg

20090509-1178.jpg

20090509-1179-1.jpg

And if you want to argue look at surroundings to determind where the plate is, Bruiser is directly over the plate. I mean if you wanted to go with that form of thinking.

Edited by taz_11

Tazewell 2

Richlands 1

they will play again this week - i think friday at richlands but i am not positive about that - will check and see for sure

The game is Friday at Richlands

Considering Bru was on the plate. i say he missed it. not to mention. if u havent noticed most umps jus dont stand there and wait. he was waiting for the play to be appealed. either way good game from both. nothing can be done about it.

Game should actually be tied 2-2 with runners on 2nd and 3rd and Elswick at the plate. Blayke Wilson scored the tying run on a hit by Reece Strong but the umpire said he didn't touch the plate. This umpire made controversial calls (both ways) all day long, including the JV game. I hate to see officials take heat for doing their job, but not as much as I hate to see a great game end on a blown call.

20090509-1179.jpg

I have to assume the umpire got it right because how hard is it to miss that call when you're standing right in front of it.......looks close but i guess the better team won that day.

Also I guess it isn't fun being on the losing side of great games ending on judgement calls.....never heard any complaints after the 08 Region IV Title game......suck it up and lets wait til next game

Hey, Tazewell deserved to win. No doubt about it. And I am not one to question officials, but I spend a lot of time pointing my camera at home plate, and even more time editing the pictures, and there is no doubt in my mind that he touched the plate.

The plate is actually behind Bruiser, he's not standing on it. As for how hard it can be to miss that call when it's right in front of you... the plate was mostly, if not completely covered with dirt, and the umpire doesn't have the ability to freeze a 1/500 of a second slice of time. I believe he based the call on the position of the runner, not his hand. Anyway, it's over now. Time for the next game.

Yeah, all in all its over with. I'm glad that whoever paid to see it, got their moneys worth. It was a classic Richlands/Tazewell game.

They have been since this past November.