Tazewell / Tunstall

I went and watched tazewell own richalnds in the swd title game and richlands made the regional championship and tazewell didnt, odd...Is tunstall that good or did tazewell just have a off night?

So did tazewell make the state playoffs or are they out?

Richlands can play with anyone when they play up to their capabilities. It is the same team (less two seniors) that was 23-1 in 2008. The problem in 2009 has been inconsistency at the plate and a lack of pitching depth. All the rain this spring has made that more of a problem then it otherwise might have been because you need that depth to play 3 in a row as often as they have this year.

Tazewell's season is over. I hate it for them, they deserve to be there with the season they had, but that's the way it works out sometimes.

I went and watched tazewell own richalnds in the swd title game and richlands made the regional championship and tazewell didnt, odd...Is tunstall that good or did tazewell just have a off night?

So did tazewell make the state playoffs or are they out?

Tazewell had an off night.. The coaching affected this one with the pitching.. Letting 5 runs in on one inning is too hard to come back from.. They do not make the state playoffs..

This is the same thing that happened last year the better team stays home, last year Richlands went undefeated in the regular season ran into Mikey O'Brien and Hidden Valley in the semis and their season ended while Abingdon a team they beat times ended up playing and winning the regional finals sometimes it comes down to the luck of the draw. The district team with the best chance of doing anything in the state tourny ends up going home.

http://www.bdtonline.com/localsports/local_story_149224541.html?keyword=topstory

Baseball: Tunstall strikes out Tazewell

------------------------------------

BRISTOL HERALD COURIER RECAP

Tunstall 8, Tazewell 4

The Tazewell Bulldogs collected nine hits against one of the top prep pitchers in Virginia Friday night at Kiwanis Field.

It wasn’t nearly enough.

The four-time state champion Tunstall Trojans earned an 8-4 decision over Tazewell in the Region IV semifinals.

Tunstall faces Richlands today at 3 p.m. for the regional title.

“We hit the ball, but we just didn’t get the hits back-to-back like we’ve been doing all year,” Peery said. “Give the Tunstall pitcher credit. He did a good job.”

Tazewell (20-4) compiled a team batting average in the .370 range en route to the regular season and tournament titles in the Southwest District. The Bulldogs opened a 2-0 lead in the third inning against Virginia Tech signee Joe Mantiply. The latest in a long line of elite Tunstall pitchers, the left-handed Mantiply has a career record of 33-1 and has compiled an earned run average of .0.54 with more than 80 strikeouts this season. Mantiply struck out 16 Friday, but nothing came easy.

The offensive standout for Tazewell, freshman Zak Wasilewski, who frustrated Mantiply with two singles and a solo home run in the fifth inning. Senior catcher Brusier Moore added two doubles for Tazewell but was focused on the bottom line.

“You never feel good when you don’t get the win,” Moore said. “It was a good year, but this isn’t the way we wanted to go out. We had a lot higher expectations. Tunstall had those big innings, and we never responded.”

The Bulldogs were forced to play without junior Taylor Herald, a .400 hitter who was sidelined with an ankle injury. Tyler Kitts doubled for Tazewell, while senior third baseman Trey Lambert played solid defense.

The only loss for 21-1 Tunstall came to a North Carolina school, but Mantiply said the Trojans hadn’t faced a team like Tazewell.

Tazewell pitcher Dustin Dean managed to keep avoid trouble through the first three innings, but the balanced Trojans scored seven runs in the fourth and fifth inning on eight hits. Tunstall, which hits .389 as a team, finished with 12 hits.

“That was the best team we’ve played all season,” said Mantiply, who plays on a travel baseball team in the summer. “Don’t taking anything from [Tazewell], but I was on today and when we hit the ball we usually get the win. We were down early, but the game is never over.”

Peery told his players to focus on the big picture in an emotional post game meeting.

“I was just telling the kids about a song I heard that says sometimes I’m feel like I’m on top of the world and sometimes the world is on top of me,” Peery said. “That applies to us.

We’ve been on top of the world this season, and now the world is on top of us. But the world turns, and we’ll be back on top soon.”

Tazewell pitcher Dustin Dean managed to keep avoid trouble through the first three innings, but the balanced Trojans scored seven runs in the fourth and fifth inning on eight hits. Tunstall, which hits .389 as a team, finished with 12 hits.

“Sometimes in games like this, a pitcher will get too pumped up and burnt out to quick,” Peery said. “If you run out of steam, a good team will make you pay for it.”

Longtime Tunstall coach Barry Shelton was impressed with Tazewell, which played flawless defense.

”That team can hit, they showed why they are the Southwest District champions,” said Shelton, who has coached at Tunstall for 26 years. “My pitcher usually don’t get hit like that, but I’m proud of how he battled.”

Shelton has coached pitchers such as Will Inman and Jacob Thompson, who are now working their way through the minor leagues. Inman, now pitching at the Triple AAA level, is one of the top prospects for the San Diego Padres.

“We’ve been fortunate to have great pitchers, and Joe ranks right up with them,” Shelton said.

Life has many choices---eternity two

This is the same thing that happened last year the better team stays home, last year Richlands went undefeated in the regular season ran into Mikey O'Brien and Hidden Valley in the semis and their season ended while Abingdon a team they beat times ended up playing and winning the regional finals sometimes it comes down to the luck of the draw. The district team with the best chance of doing anything in the state tourny ends up going home.

How did Tazewell win the district hands down and ends up on the same side of the bracket as Tunstall (23-1) while Richlands loses to Tazewell 4 times and gets an easier draw in the Regional Tourney??

You know to make a comment like this about a kid....I assume you are referring to Bassett. That "JV kid" just had an outstanding game in the semi-finals of the Piedmont District Tournament against Patrick County. Dominating type pitcher...no, but I saw that kid pitch 3-4 games during the season and a very effective pitcher when he hit location and changed speeds.

Oh by the way, they seemed to hit the pitcher from Richlands pretty hard.....I think it was something to the tune of 11 hits.....3 HR's. Isn't this the same kid that was supposed to be one of in not the best pitcher from the Southwest District.

Let me ask you a question.....does that make him look like a JV pitcher....I definitely think not.

If you are going to make a comment like that about a kid or team, you need to know a little more about both.

Edited by ProudBengal

And if you want to say that it was a gift to the semi's......I guess when you spot a team a (7-0) lead after 3 1/2 innings of play.....(included in that was 6 errors from what I counted)....that would be a gift.

Did Hidden Valley give them the Finals as well........give Richlands some credit. They were in the Regional Finals and they are going to State. Best of luck to the Blue Tornado.