Interesting story from the BDT on young baseball prospect...

GMan

Outstanding accomplishment and I wish this young man the best of luck in his baseball career BUT does anyone else see anything wrong with this??? I hope the Tazewell County School Board looks into this...the kid lives in Bluefield, WV, currently goes to Graham Middle School but is going to transfer to Tazewell to play baseball...I've highlighted that part...

http://www.bdtonline.com/localsports/local_story_204223403.html

Illig breaks local Little League home run record with 20

By BRIAN WOODSON

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

BLUEFIELD — Records are meant to be broken. But this bad?

Chase Illig, a 12-year-old on the state tourney bound Bluefield All-Stars, shattered the local Little League program home run record this season with 20.

The old record could be counted on one hand.

“From everyone that can remember, they said five home runs for the season is the most they can ever remember anyone hitting,” said Illig’s father, Glenn, who is also the manager of the All-Stars.

Illig slammed 18 home runs in 19 games during the regular season, and he’s added two more in six games as an All-Star.

He would like at least one more. Call it family pride. His father also broke a home run mark when he was 12, finishing with 20 long balls of his own.

“Last year I started off slow for the first couple of games and struck out a lot,” Chase said. “This year I started out trying to beat my dad’s 20 home run record so I was focusing a little more than I did last year.

“I thought it would be possible as long as people didn’t throw around me, but I still hit that many with people throwing around me.”

Chase will not only lead the Bluefield All-Stars to the state tournament starting Saturday in Summersville, he’ll also represent the District IV runnerups and first time state participants in the first-ever home run derby the night before.

“I’m excited because it is the first one they’re holding so it would be pretty nice to win it,” said Chase, who has each of the 20 home run balls he’s hit this season. “There is a little more pressure with all the people in the stands rooting for me, and it’s a little hard because if you don’t hit one over the fence then it really doesn’t count for much.”

A switch-hitter, the 5-foot-7 Illig figured out during the season how to get around the strategy most teams used to pitch around him.

“I just scooted up to the plate, and during a couple of games in the season when they were throwing around me, I just turned around right-handed until I got two strikes,” said Chase, who is a standout at catcher, pitcher and shortstop. “Then I turned around to bat left-handed because all they had to do was throw me one strike to get me out and then I had to focus and hit the ball.”

Hit it he has. Chase batted .779 during the regular season. He’s been ‘slowed’ somewhat in All-Star play, if you call .635 slowing down.

“They pitched around him all year long,” Glenn said. “In fact, I believe through the regular season he only made seven outs the whole year.

“He got hits and he got walks, he made seven outs, which was awesome. He’s definitely a true natural hitter, he loves to hit.”

While father-and-son spend a few hours each day working on baseball skills, Chase’s love affair with baseball actually began in his yard with his mother, Paula.

“My mom started me out with my first wiffle ball and wiffle ball bat when I was about 2 years old,” said Chase, who acknowledges his mother’s willingness to sacrifice time with him and Glenn, all to allow a young boy to chase his dream. “I wouldn’t be able to do all this if it wasn’t for her.”

The Illig’s moved to Bluefield from northern Virginia early this decade. A member of the junior honor society at Graham Middle School, Chase has been part of the Bluefield Virginia school system, but he’s going to transfer to Tazewell for his eighth grade year in the fall, with plans to be part of the tradition-rich Bulldogs’ baseball program.

“When we first moved here six or seven years ago, we really didn’t know the area all that well,” Glenn said. “Baseball is his love, and the facilities in Tazewell out-rank anybody up here as of right now.

“To put him in a position to further himself in baseball, Tazewell is the only position close enough for us to put him in.”

That can wait for now. After all, Chase is only 12, and he’s chasing another dream, a state title in Bluefield’s first-ever trip to the state tournament.

“I’m looking to go down there and for everyone to do good because I want to go up and advance,” said Illig, a fan of Tampa Bay third baseman Evan Longoria and the Boston Red Sox. “I’m satisfied to make it this far, but everyone else wants to keep winning, and that would be nice.

“I think we have enough pitching to win if we keep our defense. All we’ve got to do is keep the ball low and (make them) hit ground balls. We (also) have to make the plays and hit the ball.”

Illig’s ultimate goal is the same as it is for most kids his age. He’d like to play in college “anywhere down south” — but preferably at the University of Texas — and then he’ll put in ‘a lot of hard work and determination’ to get an opportunity to play in the big leagues.

His family will do what it takes help his dreams come true.

“It’s all just practice. He loves baseball. He’s looking to go on to college and get a scholarship,” said Glenn, who calls his son ‘a very smart boy, and a great kid’. “It’s every kid’s dream to get drafted by a major league baseball team and go play baseball for whoever and go play.

“That’s his love, and he’s loving it.”

—Contact Brian Woodson

at bwoodson@bdtonline.com

I was thinking the same thing. How can he live in WV, go to school at GMS and then plan on playing in Tazewell? His dad was a coach at Graham last year. A great guy and good coach...hate to see them go elsewhere to play.

This is typical. The grass is greener theory seems to be the modern approach. If you are good enough, work hard and promote yourself, you will get noticed. There are 4 current NFL players who hail from Parkersburg IA. Can anyone tell me how many State or Regional baseball titles Tazewell has won? Also has anyone from Tazewell other than Billy Wagner at least been drafted by MLB ?

I was thinking the same thing. How can he live in WV, go to school at GMS and then plan on playing in Tazewell? His dad was a coach at Graham last year. A great guy and good coach...hate to see them go elsewhere to play.

And this is what the TCSB said it was going to start cracking down on...we will if that happens since it will benefit Tazewell's baseball program...I'm willing to bet nothing will be done to stop it...

This is typical. The grass is greener theory seems to be the modern approach. If you are good enough, work hard and promote yourself, you will get noticed. There are 4 current NFL players who hail from Parkersburg IA. Can anyone tell me how many State or Regional baseball titles Tazewell has won? Also has anyone from Tazewell other than Billy Wagner at least been drafted by MLB ?

No, but we have the strongest baseball program around here. How about how many people that play baseball at Tazewell go on to live a successful life? Baseball in Tazewell isn't just about the sport, Coach Peery teaches you about life and how to handle what comes at you. I know that moving a 12 year old kid just for sports is somewhat different but it's a smart decision in the long run imo. Maybe its because i grew up around coach, but i think he could help this kid to mature and grow in sports and in life.

Not sure what you are trying to say. Are you saying that the kids from Parkersburg, IA "promoted themselves" enough to get to the NFL??? I think you may not realize it but Parkersburg, IA has been a nationally-recognized football powerhouse for a long time...Tazewell is barely recognized outside of SWVA...

Here is my take on what would be an easy solution to the problem of transfer to both public and private schools. If you have a member on a particular team that is not from your actual school zone, then you must play the highest classification in your state for that sport. Reasoning you are not playing with the kids that your classification is based on. IE If Montcalm has a kid from out of district playing baseball then make them play AAA in WV. If Tazewell has a kid from Graham playing baseball then make them play up, I dont even know what the highest classification is in VA. That might fix the problem.

I was trying to show that if you are good enough, you will get noticed. I know all about Parkersburg's football program and how their coach was shot in the weightroom. It is still a small farm community with a small population.

Maybe they're planning to move to Tazewell? And, from reading the article, I don't think "getting noticed" is the reason for wanting to play there. It's for the facilities and coaching. It's hard to argue against Tazewell in that department when it comes to baseball.

I was trying to show that if you are good enough, you will get noticed. I know all about Parkersburg's football program and how their coach was shot in the weightroom. It is still a small farm community with a small population.

If you are good enough you do NOT always get noticed.. It takes dedication and preparation from the school, the coaches, the athlete, and the athletes’ family and it’s not always there.

I think everyone is missing THE point.

Just recently (within the last few months), the Tazewell County School Board decided that kids must attend the school in the zone in which they reside. The Pocy kids/parents have already blown a gasket over this but were promised by the TCSB that they could attend any school they wanted to (read as "Tazewell") even if they lived in another school district (read as "Graham").

Also, the TCSB proclaimed that they are no longer allowing anymore "transfers" from WV...which is an attack aimed DIRECTLY at Graham High School, which has been the receipient of many WV students over the years (including the one in this story). Being that he already attends school in VA, I think he could probably get around that one. But considering he doesn't reside in the Tazewell school zone, how can he transfer to Tazewell while his father BLATANTLY proclaims in the BDT article that the reason for the "transfer" is to PLAY BASEBALL.

As I said, as long as it will benefit Tazewell, nothing will be done or said...shows just how WEAK the TCSB truly is...

Has the TCSB made it official yet?

"how can he transfer to Tazewell while his father BLATANTLY proclaims in the BDT article that the reason for the "transfer" is to PLAY BASEBALL?"

Because he's not started 9th grade yet.

Maybe they are planning on moving. This is the only way I see they could do this. I don't think anyone doubts that THS has the best baseball program around and that Coach Peery is a great baseball coach and great guy. It's just the TCSB says one thing and does another.

Tazewell's baseball program is more than the facility -- although the facility is top notch and compares with DI colleges. Tazewell baseball starts with Lou - he has poured his heart and soul into this program.

In a previous post someone said has anyone other than Billy Wagner went professional - I am not sure of anyone who has actually succeeded to Billy's level - but others have had the opportunity to play professionally -

The one question I would ask anyone that questions Tazewell's baseball programs successes is 'how many student athletes continue playing baseball at the next level from Tazewell'. I think Tazewell graduated four seniors this season and all were given the opportunity to play at the next level -- This is not a fluke - it's is a pattern that you see from this program year after year. That one stat would be a great draw for parents and athletes.

I don't know this young man, but his family maybe moving to the area - others have in the past and have been welcomed.

As for the Pocy kids choosing Tazewell over Graham - they were given the opportunity to visit both schools and all that I have spoke to have stated that they felt more welcome at Tazewell -

first of all, just because a kid is a child-prodigy in little league doesn't mean he will be a star later on. In fact I've seen more kids not develop into stars than ones that do.

you also have to remember, that little league changed its age rule, so older kids now play with the change in the birthdate cutoff. this youngster may be good, but he is probably also reached adolesence, being a young man in a kid's league. that makes a huge difference.

as for going to school, he can go where he wants to. no harm in wanting to play for the best program and at the best facilities.

you also have to remember, that little league changed its age rule, so older kids now play with the change in the birthdate cutoff. this youngster may be good, but he is probably also reached adolesence, being a young man in a kid's league. that makes a huge difference.

He's 12...still a kid...

as for going to school, he can go where he wants to. no harm in wanting to play for the best program and at the best facilities.

But that IS NOT what the TCSB said a few months ago...

He's 12...still a kid...

But that IS NOT what the TCSB said a few months ago...

I bet he has already turned 13. The age rules allow you to play as a 12 year old if you did not turn 13 before May 1.

A couple of months is NOT going to make that much difference...there's no "magical spell" that causes kids to get bigger, stronger, faster, when they hit 13...

A couple of months is NOT going to make that much difference...there's no "magical spell" that causes kids to get bigger, stronger, faster, when they hit 13...

You don't seem to know much about youngsters and adolesence, but I guess you are the all-knowing, all-seeing expert on this board, so I'll bow down and accept your post as gospel.

You don't seem to know much about youngsters and adolesence,

Sure I do. And I know not all kids grow at age 13...some start sooner which is likely the case with this kid, and some don't start growing until they are 14 or 15. Not all kids AUTOMATICALLY start growing on their 13th birthday...you'd have to be a moron to think otherwise...:eek:

I think everyone is missing THE point.

Just recently (within the last few months), the Tazewell County School Board decided that kids must attend the school in the zone in which they reside. The Pocy kids/parents have already blown a gasket over this but were promised by the TCSB that they could attend any school they wanted to (read as "Tazewell") even if they lived in another school district (read as "Graham").

Also, the TCSB proclaimed that they are no longer allowing anymore "transfers" from WV...which is an attack aimed DIRECTLY at Graham High School, which has been the receipient of many WV students over the years (including the one in this story). Being that he already attends school in VA, I think he could probably get around that one. But considering he doesn't reside in the Tazewell school zone, how can he transfer to Tazewell while his father BLATANTLY proclaims in the BDT article that the reason for the "transfer" is to PLAY BASEBALL.

As I said, as long as it will benefit Tazewell, nothing will be done or said...shows just how WEAK the TCSB truly is...

"Jordan fades, shoots, and THAT'S THE BALLGAME!"

Guest old_school
Also has anyone from Tazewell other than Billy Wagner at least been drafted by MLB ?

Yes, I think Jack Compton played in the minor league system for a while.

Guest old_school

What's the difference in the kid going to Tazewell to play baseball and some kids going to Richlands from Big Creek, WV to play football?

If the parents move them, I don't think it is that big of a deal to get the kids in the best situation they can to advance in their sports. Just an opinion.

Sure I do. And I know not all kids grow at age 13...some start sooner which is likely the case with this kid, and some don't start growing until they are 14 or 15. Not all kids AUTOMATICALLY start growing on their 13th birthday...you'd have to be a moron to think otherwise...:eek:

You've nailed this one. Last year I had 12 yr. olds in class that ranged from 4'6" to 6'0".