Favorite vacation spots?

Guest JJBrickface

I'm not sure exactly when I went from drunk party boy at Myrtle Beach every year for Sr. week... to old fart wanting peace and quiet with my family (away from all those dumb drunk party boys - haha)

but for the last couple years, me and my wife and daughter (6 yo) have went to Wrightsville Beach (Wilmington, NC). if you want peace and quiet, then that is the place. it's like a secluded little island, and you can relax on the beach and let your kid run and play and dig. it has a cove that fills up with the tide. you can get the coolest and biggest shells you've ever seen. plus, when the tide is in, you can walk out it in it and see crabs, starfish, and sting rays, and I've even seen a blow fish before. every year, we are amazed at how cool the place is.

plus, UNC Wilmington is right there, so there is plenty to do in the evenings... and lots of good restaurants.

Edited by total

Myrtle Beach was #1 for me for many years until about five or six years ago. Now, my # 1 is Charleston, SC in October. Ghost tours, not a lot of tourists that time if the year, quiet unpopulated beach, and more four and five star restaurants than you can shake a stick at!

I was in Myrtle Beach the last week in July, and the weather was beautiful all week. The wind was very strong, and the rip tides were murder, but any time I can get to Myrtle Beach is a good time. My all time favorite vacation place is the Gulf Coast. I love Gulf Shores and Orange Beach, but Myrtle Beach is a close second.

I'm not sure exactly when I went from drunk party boy at Myrtle Beach every year for Sr. week... to old fart wanting peace and quiet with my family (away from all those dumb drunk party boys - haha)

but for the last couple years, me and my wife and daughter (6 yo) have went to Wrightsville Beach (Wilmington, NC). if you want peace and quiet, then that is the place. it's like a secluded little island, and you can relax on the beach and let your kid run and play and dig. it has a cove that fills up with the tide. you can get the coolest and biggest shells you've ever seen. plus, when the tide is in, you can walk out it in it and see crabs, starfish, and sting rays, and I've even seen a blow fish before. every year, we are amazed at how cool the place is.

plus, UNC Wilmington is right there, so there is plenty to do in the evenings... and lots of good restaurants.

Wilmington's a wonderful place, I have to agree with this one 100%.

Myrtle Beach was #1 for me for many years until about five or six years ago. Now, my # 1 is Charleston, SC in October. Ghost tours, not a lot of tourists that time if the year, quiet unpopulated beach, and more four and five star restaurants than you can shake a stick at!

My thoughts exactly!

I went down too Charleston for the first time back in May of this year. It was incredible...so incredible I went back in July, and am in the process of planning another trip for Thanksgiving. We absolutely loved it. We stayed on Folly Beach when we went the first time, where do you all usually stay, bhs?

Folly Beach is a small island (6 miles from tip to tip, and probably 1-2 miles wide) with only one hotel (Holiday Inn), and the rest is houses and condos. On the main street there are probably 10 different local restaurants and bars, all unique. So there are plenty of places to eat on the island, plus a nice beach and fishing pier. It is about a 15 minute drive into the city, but not a bad drive at all, as long as there isn't much traffic. Don't get me started on the city itself...I could go on for days...and the golf is awesome too. If anyone wants any more info about the area give me a shout.

One last thing, Hyman's seafood is amazing, and an all around neat place.

My thoughts exactly!

I went down too Charleston for the first time back in May of this year. It was incredible...so incredible I went back in July, and am in the process of planning another trip for Thanksgiving. We absolutely loved it. We stayed on Folly Beach when we went the first time, where do you all usually stay, bhs?

Folly Beach is a small island (6 miles from tip to tip, and probably 1-2 miles wide) with only one hotel (Holiday Inn), and the rest is houses and condos. On the main street there are probably 10 different local restaurants and bars, all unique. So there are plenty of places to eat on the island, plus a nice beach and fishing pier. It is about a 15 minute drive into the city, but not a bad drive at all, as long as there isn't much traffic. Don't get me started on the city itself...I could go on for days...and the golf is awesome too. If anyone wants any more info about the area give me a shout.

One last thing, Hyman's seafood is amazing, and an all around neat place.

My favorite place to eat is Cypress Lowcountry Grill on East Bay Street. http://www.opentable.com/rest_profile.aspx?rid=1775

It's so hard coming back and just trying to get up the nerve to eat food at home after you've eaten at places in Charleston. We stay at the Isles of Palms over in Mt. Pleasant, although it's been a couple of years since we've been back. We can't afford to go every year! haha It's just a mile or two from Boone Plantation. We won't make it this year either, but next fall there is a good chance we will head down for a few days in October. We'll have to wait and see what the football schedule is. Hopefully, VT will have two more Thursday night games in consecutive weeks so we can make it a long weekend in Charleston.

When VT played at Clemson in 2007 we drove down that Saturday morning. We had tickets to the game if it was going to be an early start and head to Charleston after the game, but the kickoff was at 6. We sold the tix on Ebay and headed on to Charleston with the VT flags flying off the car. We passed a couple of dozen cars within an hour of Charleston and in Charleston with VT flags as well.

Speaking of VT football, are guys going to try and tailgate with Gman and I again this year?

My favorite place to eat is Cypress Lowcountry Grill on East Bay Street. http://www.opentable.com/rest_profile.aspx?rid=1775

It's so hard coming back and just trying to get up the nerve to eat food at home after you've eaten at places in Charleston. We stay at the Isles of Palms over in Mt. Pleasant, although it's been a couple of years since we've been back. We can't afford to go every year! haha It's just a mile or two from Boone Plantation. We won't make it this year either, but next fall there is a good chance we will head down for a few days in October. We'll have to wait and see what the football schedule is. Hopefully, VT will have two more Thursday night games in consecutive weeks so we can make it a long weekend in Charleston.

When VT played at Clemson in 2007 we drove down that Saturday morning. We had tickets to the game if it was going to be an early start and head to Charleston after the game, but the kickoff was at 6. We sold the tix on Ebay and headed on to Charleston with the VT flags flying off the car. We passed a couple of dozen cars within an hour of Charleston and in Charleston with VT flags as well.

Speaking of VT football, are guys going to try and tailgate with Gman and I again this year?

We went over to Mt. Pleasant and the Isle of Palms while we were there and both were great. I played golf over on Mt. Pleasant at Dunes West. If you haven't been over to Folly Beach, I would recommend it.

We plan to go to a couple VT games this year, so I will definitely let yall know.

See you September 12th!

What's the ticket situation for you, your brother and sister (if they are going...J said he was)? I may need to have bhs7695 work on finding a couple of extras...let me know ASAP...

What's the ticket situation for you, your brother and sister (if they are going...J said he was)? I may need to have bhs7695 work on finding a couple of extras...let me know ASAP...

We're good. Check your PM's...