Graham's use of Mitchell Stadium nearing an end?

Bluefield_Rules

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think that they would consider using the field at the high school since that is where they dress and practice now and use the other field as there practice field. more room there but the middle school offers more parking a newer school for locker room space. from my stand point alot of money would go into making it at the middle school. but why do they pay 37,000 or what ever it was each year to use that nice field all of about 12 times that includes middle school.

Lets consider the cost of the land. Then the cost of construction, staffing, maintenance, taxes, lighting, and LIABILITY insurance, etc. Not to consider the history at Mitchell as well. I forgot the new turf. Yes, it would be nice to have our own stadium. There are arguments for and against. Oh, and those budget shortfalls.

kick em out! they dont belong anyways! especially on the HOME side of the field! this is our chance to rid ourselves of the G-Men!...ha, i kid, i kid...seriously

I would love for Graham to have their own stadium. I realize that Mitchell Stadium is very nice, but it really isn't Home of the GMen. I know that the cost of buidling a quality field and stadium would not be cheap, but I would also imagine that $37,000 a year would make a dent in the payments.

I thought that when Carlock, Sr passed away that would have been a great time to begin the vision of Graham's own field, named for one of the Greatest coaches not only in Virginia, but in our country. I wouldn't even begin to pretend that I could make a cost estimate, but I would bet with a good design plan and some active fund raising and grant writing a beautiful stadium could become a reality.

The fact is, if a stadium would be built for Graham it wouldn't be half the size of Mitchell Stadium and how would they handle the annual Beaver/Graham game? You, I, and everyone knows that a new stadium wouldn't come close to handling the crowd for that game.

i agree if a stadium is built it would not even be half the size of Mitchell stadium but i wonder what happens to the money and how is it used from the gate and concession. if you add up gate thru out year, this is a Great amount of money for both Bluefield and Graham

i agree if a stadium is built it would not even be half the size of Mitchell stadium but i wonder what happens to the money and how is it used from the gate and concession. if you add up gate thru out year, this is a Great amount of money for both Bluefield and Graham

The concessions at the stadium are put up for bid by the city of Bluefield. The city and the winning bidder contract for a specified sum payable to the city of Bluefield. The schools do not recieve any money from concession sales. I do not know about the gate. The BHS band boosters run the concession stand behind the pressbox.

it would be nice for graham to have their own stadium that they could call home. as far as the graham/beaver game goes they should continue to have it at mitchell stadium since the game has been played there forever.

it would be nice for graham to have their own stadium that they could call home. as far as the graham/beaver game goes they should continue to have it at mitchell stadium since the game has been played there forever.

I expect the Tazewell Co. School Board will get a good case of sticker shock when they see the costs of starting from scratch on a stadium.

it wouldn't unreasonable to simply have the bluefield graham game at mitchell stadium each year even if graham did have a stadium on the va side, that would maintain the tradition of the game as well..

I doubt the City of Bluefield would look too kindly on letting the G-men use the stadium for free for this game every other year....no contract no play would be my guess.

I doubt the City of Bluefield would look too kindly on letting the G-men use the stadium for free for this game every other year....no contract no play would be my guess.

The city would be stupid no to; the game brings revenue into the city and brings back individuals that otherwise wouldn't care to step foot inside the city. If anyone ever did anything to harm the tradition and storied history of Beaver/Graham they would be rightfully roasted.

The city would be stupid no to; the game brings revenue into the city and brings back individuals that otherwise wouldn't care to step foot inside the city. If anyone ever did anything to harm the tradition and storied history of Beaver/Graham they would be rightfully roasted.

That's it, revenue, that game generates it almost unlike any other. It's not as if graham folks would feel out of place at mitchell stadium anyhow.........

If Graham has their own stadium, the City of Bluefield would have no say in who Beaver schedules for a home game.

As it comes as no surprise to anyone, the city has been dealing with losses for years. That being said, 37K a year is a significant chunk. BTW, what does the Mercer County School Board pay for the use of Mitchell out of curiosity?

I expect the Tazewell Co. School Board will get a good case of sticker shock when they see the costs of starting from scratch on a stadium.

Here you go. TCPS is already up to its eyeballs in debt.

I'd be FLOORED if this happens. It's much cheaper to lease for $37K/year than put down $500K+ at once.

Absolutely. I'm a civil engineer, I do things like this for a living. Someone mentioned $500,000 for a stadium, and I can tell you, that isn't going to get Graham a lot for that amount. A decent stadium will be $1 million plus, and I emphasize the "plus" part.

Location...there is the field at Graham Middle, and the one next to the high school. The field is one of the easiest parts. Bleachers are going to cost a lot. Does anybody really WANT those crappy old-style ones that people will fall through? There are solid aluminum bleachers (like the Virginia Tech north endzone), but they're pricey. And building solid concrete ones are even more expensive.

Then, there are facilities/dressing rooms for the visiting team, restroom facilities for the crowd, and concession facilities. I think you'd be hard pressed to do any kind of stadium for less than $800,000.

Maintenance isn't free, either. That has a real cost.

So, think about that...Tazewell County has to pay ZERO to maintain a stadium, and gets to use one for $37,000 a year? It would take 20+ years of paying that rent to even have the money to build a basic stadium for GHS.

Graham High and Tazewell County are free to do whatever they want, but I think it would be financial suicide to move out of Mitchell over what appears to be hurt feelings. Maybe some rich folks in Bluefield VA could start a capital campaign. Gonna have to have at least half a million to get started, I fear.