Tennessee's Brice Brown's eligibility under investigation

sandman

#6 - Tenn dont have to play on Thursday night to get TV exposure

You're right. Virginia Tech plays on Thursday nights to get NATIONAL TV exposure and not a Saturday regional conference game on JP Sports like UT does. They will pick up the occasional Saturday 3:30 CBS game though. ESPN loves to have Virginia Tech on Thursday nights and made for TV games like the USC game in 2004 & Alabama in 2009, because VT draws high ratings.

I'd be willing to bet, that Virginia Tech has drawn a better TV rating on a national broadcast than Tennessee has in the last ten years. Here are a couple of the bowl games ratings.

http://www.bcsfootball.org/bcsfb/tvratings

2007-08 Bowl Game TV Ratings

BOWL GAME TEAMS TV RATING

Orange Kansas-Va. Tech 7.40

Outback Tennessee-Wisconsin 3.37

2006-07 Bowl Game TV Ratings

Chick-fil-A Georgia-Virginia Tech 4.78

Outback Tennessee-Penn St. 4.36

And the kicker for their National Title game ratings:

Sugar Bowl 2000 Florida State-Virginia Tech 17.5

Fiesta Bowl 1999 Florida State-Tennessee 17.2

Edited by bhs7695

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL at #3, I'd have to agree. The all gold WVU uni's look horrible and they're bad luck

My favorite combos for WVU

1. Blue Jerseys-Gold Pants

2. Gold Jerseys-Blue Pants

3. Blue on Blue

Wow, what started out as a friendly jab, has turned into facts. Here are a few not mentioned on here :

TENN VT

1st Season 1891 1892

Stadium Capacity 102,037 66,233

Largest Crowd 109,061 not avail.

Vs. Florida 9/18/2004

All Time Record 776-327-53 (.704) 658-425-46 (.603)

Here are some FACTS not mentioned on here :

First year of football :

TENN - 1891

Va. Tech - 1892

Stadium Capacity :

TENN - 102,037 (Largest crowd 109,061 vs. FLA 9/18/2004):eek:

Va. Tech - 66,233

All time record(s) :

TENN - 776-327-53 (.704)

Va. Tech - 658-425-46 (.603)

Postseason Bowl Record :

TENN - 25-22

Va. Tech - 8-14

National Titles :

TENN - 1938,1940,1950,1951,1967,1998

Va. Tech - Runner up 1999

Conference Titles :

TENN - 16

Va. Tech - 7

Concensus All-Americans

TENN - 72

Va. Tech - 8

Head-to-head : TENN 45 - VT 23 1995 Gator Bowl

As said earlier "not even close my friend".

Edited by Big Orange 1

First year of football :

TENN - 1891

Va. Tech - 1892

Stadium Capacity :

Va. Tech - 66,233

All time record(s) :

TENN - 776-327-53 (.704)

Postseason Bowl Record :

TENN - 25-22

Va. Tech - 8-14

National Titles :

Conference Titles :

TENN - 16

Va. Tech - 7

Concensus All-Americans

TENN - 72

Va. Tech - 8

As you'll learn quickly my friend, it doesn't matter what objective numbers you throw out there that show (correctly in this instance) that VT isn't the best thing since sliced bread, you'll have 5 homers descend on you like a pack of wolves.

As you'll learn quickly my friend, it doesn't matter what objective numbers you throw out there that show (correctly in this instance) that VT isn't the best thing since sliced bread

Neither is Tennessee. That is one of the points I'm making. UT has great prestige and have been successful longer than VT has, but that still doesn't change the fact that VT has tried to schedule a 1-1 with UT and UT flat out refused. The reason they gave was a slap in the face that Blacksburg didn't deserve.

Why wouldn't we defend our team when they are attacked? Do you not do the same when someone attacks UVA?

Edited by bhs7695

First year of football :

TENN - 1891

Va. Tech - 1892

Stadium Capacity :

Va. Tech - 66,233

All time record(s) :

TENN - 776-327-53 (.704)

Postseason Bowl Record :

TENN - 25-22

Va. Tech - 8-14

National Titles :

Conference Titles :

TENN - 16

Va. Tech - 7

Concensus All-Americans

TENN - 72

Va. Tech - 8

What's not even close?? I don't remember anyone asking who's stadium was bigger, who has more All-Americans, who has been playing longer, who has been a nomad for a football conference.

Those facts you throw out there relate nothing to what the discussion was here and that was about why UT won't play VT in football for a 1-1 and the facts I and Bluefieldrocks (who is a WVU fan!) posted to discredit your "opinion" list you posted.

Sorry that you couldn't take getting "PWNED" again in this thread.

What's not even close?? I don't remember anyone asking who's stadium was bigger, who has more All-Americans, who has been playing longer, who has been a nomad for a football conference.

Those facts you throw out there relate nothing to what the discussion was here and that was about why UT won't play VT in football for a 1-1 and the facts I and Bluefieldrocks (who is a WVU fan!) posted to discredit your "opinion" list you posted.

Sorry that you couldn't take getting "PWNED" again in this thread.

Giving TV ratings isn`t what this topic is about either. Looks like we have a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

Giving TV ratings isn`t what this topic is about either. Looks like we have a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

Actually, it was warranted being mentioned after BigOrange1 brought this up with #6 in his Top 10 list:

#6 - Tenn dont have to play on Thursday night to get TV exposure

Tennessee to tangle with the Bearcats. Only for one game and guess where it will be played........

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4424111

Cincy to visit Vols in 2011

By Brian Bennett

ESPN.com

Archive

Cincinnati and Tennessee have agreed to play at Neyland Stadium in Knoxville on Sept. 10, 2011.

It is a one-game deal between the two schools, and the matchup will be televised by ESPN. Cincinnati replaces Southern Miss on the Volunteers' schedule.

"Our philosophy is to play the best possible out-of-conference schedule," Cincinnati coach Brian Kelly said. "Tennessee's football tradition and geographic location make it a great matchup for us."

Tennessee and Cincinnati have met five times, all in Knoxville, with the most recent outcome a 40-0 Volunteers win in 1992.

Another interesting thing I found about the Vols future schedule. They have a 1-1 with North Carolina for 2011 (@ UNC) and 2012 (@ Knoxville) and a one game deal with North Carolina State to be played in Atlanta in 2012.

Hmmmmmmm I wonder why they refused a 1-1 and a game at BMS against VT.

GotNuts884.jpg

Edited by bhs7695

HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!

I was waiting on the no nuts thing again. When I posted my top 10 list, which was just to pick at some of you guys, here comes all the facts about TV ratings and the like. Then when I dump some real facts, here comes the "no nuts" crap again. Typical VT.

HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!

I was waiting on the no nuts thing again. When I posted my top 10 list, which was just to pick at some of you guys, here comes all the facts about TV ratings and the like. Then when I dump some real facts, here comes the "no nuts" crap again. Typical VT.

When you go into a battle, you better be armed to the teeth. We are passionate about our team as are WVU, UVA, & Tennessee fans about theirs.

When you go into a battle, you better be armed to the teeth. We are passionate about our team as are WVU, UVA, & Tennessee fans about theirs.

You're exactly right. Thats why I love college football. I'm the first to admit, VT has came a long way, and if you guys are die hard and not "since 1999" VT fans, I congratulate and commend you. Bandwagon fans suck! I spend alot of time in Johnson City and you wouldnt believe the Gator tags, hats, etc. you see. I was in middle Tennessee on business and ran into a "Gator fan" , he was giving me the "business", so I asked him if he knew Tennessee's fight song, he replied "Rocky Top". So then I asked him what Floridas fight song was, all I got was the old deer in the headlights look. Yes we live in America, and can pick and choose our teams, but the fact remains : BANDWAGON FANS SUCK!

I've been a VT fans since going to my first game in 1977. That was back when beating VMI, Richmond, and William & Mary were considered "big" wins...and often times were the "only" wins...

I've been a VT fans since going to my first game in 1977. That was back when beating VMI, Richmond, and William & Mary were considered "big" wins...and often times were the "only" wins...

Good deal. I saw my first UT game in 1983. Bought a #92 Reggie White jersey and have been hooked ever since. Got season tix in 1985. Hardly ever miss a game. ONLY 10 MORE DAYS !!!!!!

You're exactly right. Thats why I love college football. I'm the first to admit, VT has came a long way, and if you guys are die hard and not "since 1999" VT fans, I congratulate and commend you. Bandwagon fans suck! I spend alot of time in Johnson City and you wouldnt believe the Gator tags, hats, etc. you see. I was in middle Tennessee on business and ran into a "Gator fan" , he was giving me the "business", so I asked him if he knew Tennessee's fight song, he replied "Rocky Top". So then I asked him what Floridas fight song was, all I got was the old deer in the headlights look. Yes we live in America, and can pick and choose our teams, but the fact remains : BANDWAGON FANS SUCK!

I became a Virginia Tech fan when I was 8 years old after vistiting the campus. I didn't really watch a lot of football back then, but I just thought the school was awesome, and the campus was nice. Then once I got a little older, and started watching and following football, naturally I followed VT football. Maybe I am a bandwagon fan...who cares?