congrats to the Beavers !!

tom

Guest lookoutmountain

Well done, for anyone in the area who thinks Richlands plays an easy schedule with the soft single A schools like Powell Valley and Richlands, let tonight be yet another lesson as to the toughness of Gate City who won at Ernie Hicks Stadium. Bluefield is well coached and may challenge for another State Title adding to a tradition rich history. Outside of the team from North Carolina, the Beavers second toughest game will be at Gate City's legendary Legion Field.

Nice way to start the season for Bluefield. Greedily, I was disappointed that Graham scored, but there’s no sense in getting the starters injured in a 48-0 rout. As Buzzsaw said, this team is very physical and very fast. They were in the Graham backfield on at least 80% of the offensive snaps (no joke) and Graham had a very big, experienced line returning. At one point, the total yards were 500+ for Beaver and only 66 for Graham; ouch!

Marcus Patterson was the triple-threat with a 10-yard rushing TD, 77-yard receiving TD, and a 52-yard TD pass. Levi Beckett looked solid in his first game under center with over 100-yards passing (1 TD, no INTS) and 90 yards rushing (1 TD). He would have had close to 100 rushing yards if not for victory formation knees in the final minutes. Steptoe looked solid as did Tre Williams. Jake Lilly was, well Jake Lilly, which means he was delivering punishment on both sides of the ball. Multiple Graham players were either slow getting up or helped off the field after Lilly hit them on defense as well as carrying the ball offensively.

There’s room for improvement, however, with the kicking game as well as penalties. Penalties killed several Bluefield drives in the first half or the score could have been worse than 34-0 at halftime. Overall, a nice start for the season, but it means nothing heading into Week 2. It’s time to take Princeton to the woodshed.

Good luck to Graham the rest of the way. If they can keep Marrs healthy they could win some games. If Marrs goes down they'll be hurting.

Edited by Bluefield_Rules

Possibly last year, none that I saw tonight.

Still great to see! Back in 1997-1998 school, my senior year, we had a girl come out, I think she may had lasted two days, maybe not even that long!

Appreciate the comments. I've had my camera 5 years and I've been very rough with it particularly taking it into the woods with my dogs and such and it's really not as quality as it was, particularly the lenses, so I didn't put a lot of effort into taking many action photos from the game, of course that's really what everyone wants to see.

Appreciate the comments. I've had my camera 5 years and I've been very rough with it particularly taking it into the woods with my dogs and such and it's really not as quality as it was, particularly the lenses, so I didn't put a lot of effort into taking many action photos from the game, of course that's really what everyone wants to see.

Those are GREAT pics, especially for those of us many hours away. It's a chance to see the emotion. I'd love to lift a couple of those for my facebook, so I can show these Georgia friends what a real stadium looks like. I'd only do that with your permission, and would give you credit for the photos.

Or...I could just link to your photos where they're at right now...

Those are GREAT pics, especially for those of us many hours away. It's a chance to see the emotion. I'd love to lift a couple of those for my facebook, so I can show these Georgia friends what a real stadium looks like. I'd only do that with your permission, and would give you credit for the photos.

Or...I could just link to your photos where they're at right now...

Be my guest, I take them basically just to share.

It would likely be easiest just to save image as and upload from your comp rather than post this site's urls because this post will eventually disappear I'd assume.

I can post a few more.

That's about the best I can do for the game in '09 and for those of you who are out of town.

DSC_2173.jpg

DSC_2186.jpg

DSC_2194.jpg

DSC_2198.jpg

DSC_2201.jpg

DSC_2219.jpg

DSC_2211.jpg

DSC_2197.jpg

DSC_2235.jpg

Edited by buzzsawBeaver

Still great to see! Back in 1997-1998 school, my senior year, we had a girl come out, I think she may had lasted two days, maybe not even that long!

#67 she is I believe and in 10th grade. She played for the middle school too and I don't think she's a quitter.