Game week, Tech v. Bama

Predictions, thoughts, etc.? It nice to start the season with a top 10 battle instead of everyone playing cupcakes.

I'm personally interested to see how our freshman running backs do. They have potential. Wilson in particular is strong. I heard that Wilson was squatting right at 600 lbs. earlier this spring. So will that translate to any sort of production on the field? Who knows. But I'm going to say Bama gets a 27-17 win. Man that hurts to say.

I feel it's going to be a defensive struggle. Both teams have solid defenses and unanswered questions on offense going into this game. I hope to see an exciting game on the field from my Georgia Dome seat.

GO HOKIES!!!!

Edited by bhs7695

I hope tech wins this one but it will be tough. This game will be heavily on how well the defenses play and how well the quarterbacks produce.

Im sure bud will blitz the new bama QB and make him uncomfortable in the pocket.

I hope tyrod is smart and is safe with the ball.

I hope tyrod is smart and is safe with the ball.

That will be the offensive key, and the key to the season, in my opinion. Like it entails with every team, the quarterback is the most important piece to the puzzle. Without any doubt, this year's offense is Tyrod's team and it's solely his duty to perform and be the leader that is required. If he can do that, then I really think this could make for a very memorable season in Blacksburg for a long, long time.

LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.....

tyrod taylor has 2 years under his belt, but still hasn't proven himself as a passer. he'll have to pass the ball well if he wants to have sucess against bama.

bama's qb's are talented, but unexperienced.

the only RB that tech has listed that isn't a freshman is Josh Oglesby..who had 88 yards and 0 TD's last year. experience kills..especially against LB's as good as Hightower and Mcclain.

Even though Alabama lost Coffee who had more than 1300 yards, they have 3 RB's back that combined for 1,166 and 17 TD's. Mark Ingram 1 year out of high school, accounted for 12 of those TD's.

Bama's special teams are more experienced. Vt's coverage teams better step up and contain arenas. he's pretty quick.

who will stop Julio Jones?

Edited by EH31

tyrod taylor has 2 years under his belt, but still hasn't proven himself as a passer. he'll have to pass the ball well if he wants to have sucess against bama.

You are right. Taylor does have quite a bit to prove as a passer, but as you have pointed out, Taylor also has 2 years under his belt. The biggest strides in improvement are often made between the sophomore and junior seasons. Players most "turn the corner" around this stage in their career, so I say it's a bit premature to count out Tyrod's ability throw the ball around just yet. Also, those freshman receivers that Tyrod was throwing to last year aren't freshman anymore.

the only RB that tech has listed that isn't a freshman is Josh Oglesby..who had 88 yards and 0 TD's last year. experience kills..especially against LB's as good as Hightower and Mcclain.

Even though Alabama lost Coffee who had more than 1300 yards, they have 3 RB's back that combined for 1,166 and 17 TD's. Mark Ingram 1 year out of high school, accounted for 12 of those TD's.

Tech's inexperienced backs are also very talented. Ryan Williams was one of the most highly touted running backs in the country when he came into Blacksburg. Also, he is a RS-frosh, and that means a world of difference when it comes game time. He has a full year of practice under his belt, vast knowledge of the playbook, and going against one of the country's toughest defenses and against arguably the best defensive coordinator in the game every day of the week can't exactly hurt.

who will stop Julio Jones?

You may have just answered that question earlier in your post with the statement below:

bama's qb's are talented, but unexperienced.

Forget about VT's experienced secondary, Alabama's QB's may very well be the ones who stop Julio Jones. If they can't get the ball to him then there isn't any way he can hurt the Hokies. I will go on record and say that Jones is probably the best receiver in college football right now, but if the ball isn't in his hands then there isn't much he can do against you. If his only sure chance of getting the ball are screen passes then I don't see how he can wreak havoc. Julio Jones' play is purely dependent on the QB position, and if they fail then he fails. No bones about it.

Bama's special teams are more experienced. Vt's coverage teams better step up and contain arenas. he's pretty quick.

We're all aware of Beamer's stigma when it comes to special teams, so I won't ever count them out.

Lastly, this is why we play the football game. Wins aren't counted on paper, and if that were the case then Alabama would've rolled over Utah in last year's Sugar Bowl. West Virginia would've played in the 2008 National Championship. You get my point. That's the beauty of college football. If you don't bring everything to the table week to week, you get embarrassed. Everything I've typed and everything you've typed all goes out the window at kickoff on Saturday night. That's why this is the most wonderful time of the year.

Alabama and their inexperienced offensive line may have their hands full with the disruptive defensive front seven of the Hokies. That would be the way I'd like to see The Hokies stop Jones! If the 'Bama O-line can't block them, look out! Who ever will be playing QB for Alabama (probably Greg McElroy) won't be able to throw if he is on the ground eating turf all night.

GO HOKIES!!!!!!!!!

Edited by bhs7695

Guest BEAVERTAIL

Tech's defensive line would pose problems for a lot of people, much less an inexperienced one on the first game of the season...

This one's going to be a great one. Both defenses are outstanding. The offense that makes the least mistakes will probably be the winner, but special teams could be a factor as well. No prediction here, I don't want to jinx my team, but I'm hoping Bama will come out on top. I'm thinking less than 38 points combined.

tech will win because alabama is playing a qb with no experience bud foster thrives on that....forces him to make bad throws defense scores just enough for the hokies to pull of an ugly but impressive win.

Negative.

tech will win because alabama is playing a qb with no experience bud foster thrives on that....forces him to make bad throws defense scores just enough for the hokies to pull of an ugly but impressive win.

Haha, the only one to step up and pick Tech is a WVU fan. I appreciate the vote of confidence, raiders. And I hope you're right.

I also don't think we've taken into account the added motivation that Bama will be playing with due to their poor finish to last year's season. I would say that they are itching to come out and make amends to that terrible finish, and what better way to do that than to roll over a highly ranked, pretty good Virginia Tech team.

Again, we'll see.

Alabama already had a defensive lineman shot!

http://www.tidesports.com/article/20090903/NEWS/909029901/1011?Title=Brandon-Deaderick-is-back-at-practice

TUSCALOOSA | Brandon Deaderick won’t play Saturday against No. 7 Virginia Tech, but if Wednesday’s practice was any indication, the University of Alabama defensive end doesn’t want a gunshot wound suffered Monday night to cost him any more of his senior season than necessary.

Deaderick was in uniform for Wednesday’s indoor practice less than 48 hours after suffering a gunshot wound to the left arm as the victim in an apparent robbery attempt.

UA coach Nick Saban said Wednesday that Deaderick will not play when the No. 5 Crimson Tide opens the 2009 season against the Hokies. Deaderick’s playing status beyond Saturday remains unclear.

“Brandon Deaderick obviously will probably miss this game, but he is very fortunate not to be injured any worse than he is,” Saban said on his weekly teleconference.

Deaderick was listed in good condition at DCH Regional Medical Center overnight on Monday. He was released on Tuesday in time to visit teammates at practice. Police continue to search for a suspect.

Saban said he could not project when Deaderick might return because his status will be evaluated “day to day.”

“It’s amazing to me from a medical standpoint the extent of his injury is not that significant. He has a great attitude about trying to come out and do stuff and being with the team,” Saban added. “… Each day he’ll probably do a little bit more. He wants to play, but we’re not going to put any player at risk.”

Sophomore Marcell Dareus went through drills at Deaderick’s right end position at practice Wednesday, while Nick Gentry practiced with the second group at Dareus’ usual spot on the left side.

Tide-bits

n Saban is being featured on a promotional commercial for ESPN’s College GameDay, along with hosts Chris Fowler and Kirk Herbstreit. Though the subject of ridicule in the ad is Herbstreit rather than Saban, players have found the coach’s role amusing nonetheless.

“I caught a glance of it today,” said defensive end Lorenzo Washington. “I thought it was kind of funny to see Coach Saban just sitting there watching TV.”

Saban shot the commercial while on a summer trip to Los Angeles.

n Don’ta Hightower may have earned All-SEC Freshman honors last season as a full-time starter, but the linebacker could be in store for an even bigger season now that he has 14 games of experience.

“Last year in the meetings, we go kind of quick so they were just saying this and that and I was kind of confused out there on the field,” Hightower said. “You could tell on the field I was a little bit hesitant. Now I just go around, I know a lot more about the defense, and the way it goes through. Hopefully, it will go a lot more smoothly.”

n Linebacker Cory Reamer returned to practice Wednesday after missing two days with flu symptoms. The senior starter at the strong-side linebacker position was the latest player to miss preparation time with the flu, although on Wednesday there appeared to be no players on the two-deep lineup missing from practice.

I won't make a prediction on this game. However, the deciding factor will be the play of the QBs. Taylor's the man in Blacksburg, he has been around the block a few times now. He was a 5-star coming out of high school, it's now time he takes it to a 5-star level. There isn't any reason why Taylor shouldn't outplay the inexperienced 'Bama QB. If Taylor shines, the Hokies win. If he's average or below the Tide will roll.

Guest BEAVERTAIL
I won't make a prediction on this game. However, the deciding factor will be the play of the QBs. Taylor's the man in Blacksburg, he has been around the block a few times now. He was a 5-star coming out of high school, it's now time he takes it to a 5-star level. There isn't any reason why Taylor shouldn't outplay the inexperienced 'Bama QB. If Taylor shines, the Hokies win. If he's average or below the Tide will roll.

I agree with you on th QBs, but I think the play of Alabamas QBs will be more important. McElroy and Jackson (who I think will see the play) havent been in an atmosphere like this. They make mistakes, VT has a chance to win. But in order to do that VT has to be in their face all game, especially early and not allow them to get in a rhythm.

Beavertail knows my connection with Star, so not only do I hope I see him play but I think he will. Saban loves his dual threat quarterbacks and although Star isn't listed as the starter, I can see Saban putting him in there to pull out a couple tricks from that sleeve of his.