Gate City and Sullivan South

applebarn

Score could have been closer but outcome would still be the same. GC had atleast 4 turnovers but Souths defense caused them. South is really good. There was nothing in the game that would have changed the outcome. We were outmanned. Not many penalties at all in the game.

Score could have been closer but outcome would still be the same. GC had atleast 4 turnovers but Souths defense caused them. South is really good. There was nothing in the game that would have changed the outcome. We were outmanned. Not many penalties at all in the game.

GC had 5 turnovers and only 2 were caused by South's defense. 2 were interceptions thrown right into defender's arms and the other one was an option in which the fullback dropped the pitch with no one around him. However, South is a very good team. GC had to play very good, crisp football to win or keep it close and they didn't do that. Against a team as good as South you can't afford to have turnovers and anytime GC got the ball moving there happened to be a turnover. But, South also has 24 seniors and 20 of them start and GC is very very young with only 5 seniors and only 4 start. Let's Go Big Blue, pick yourselves up, hit practice hard this week and take it to Lebanon next Friday.

GC will be fine. If we can run the ball on that bunch tonight, I like our chances the rest of the season. We HAVE to hold on to the dang ball though.

Agreed. We cannot afford turnovers!!! But I thought we ran the ball good tonight as well averaging probably 4-5 yards a carry. Our O-line did a good job but we kept shooting ourselves in the foot

Oh yeah, next week is extremely important. Having played South will only make us better in the long run and we will be ready for Lebanon. And I didn't understand the pass plays either, if something's working why go away from it. Also, I noticed South ran pretty much only 4 plays. Some type of dive, sweep, screen and then pass it down the left side. I just found that interesting.

Guys you have to pass to open things up and keep them honest. S.South is a good football team and probably their best ever team. A whole bunch of experience, and GC has some kids learning at their positions. There will be growing pains in the process. Turnovers period killed GC tonight.

With that said the Rebels had great size and the LB's and DB's are all good sized. GC pretty much dominated the line play (On offense) and ran at will. The problem i see (if it is a problem) with the Devils is we are a ball control offense. If you turn the ball over and get behind it can be very tough to catch up. With the score 24-7 in the second quarter GC was moving the ball well in the old 3yds and a cloud of dust offense, yet the coaches saw what i did (or vice versa) we were going to run out of time before we could punch it in. We threw a pass and bam another int.

They (South) had a good game plan and were not going to let Clark beat them. GC's first drive was a killer. Rip a 35yd run on the first play followed by a fumble return for a td from about 70yds. Instead of being up 3-0 or 7-0 you are down 6-0.