Questions about Bluefield

dshreeves

Living in Bristol doesn't give me much of a chance to hear about Bluefield football very often. I thought i'd head over to Gate City tomorrow evening for the game.

Could any Bluefield fans fill me in on the players to keep an eye on for you guys tomorrow evening? Also i was wondering how your enrollment compares to Gate City.

From what i've found it looks as if you guys are 3-1 and i'm assuming you're highly ranked in the state polls.

Everyone have a safe trip down and enjoy the game!

They'll be as good as advertised on this board. Having said that, I think Gate City is pretty good too. I expect a great ballgame. I just wish Bluefield had their quarterback for this game, although they faired pretty well against Charlotte Country Day without him.

patterson is # 31. Bluefield has very good lb's and a few strong down linemen who deserve more recognition in my opinion, on o their scheme will likely be somewhat different from what it commonly is with the changes they have to make.

That said if I'm correct bluefield is 7th in the state rankings, the state never has had a formula that respects strength of schedule enough. They should be higher in my opinion. But it is what it is..

The most direct way is I-81 just across the Va line, take Exit 1-B toward Gate City (Hwy 421/58) and from there you just got one turnoff at a red light (business 421/58/23) and you'll see it.

However, I think it may be quicker to hit I-26 at exit 57-B in Tennessee (toward Kingsport), which then turns into Hwy 23. 23 then merges w/ 421/58, same as first directions.

I think it may be quicker to hit I-26 at exit 57-B in Tennessee (toward Kingsport), which then turns into Hwy 23. 23 then merges w/ 421/58, same as first directions.

Bingo...once you get on 26, stay on it until you come to the 5th red light (approx. 15 miles)...and then take a right and the school is on your right.

The most direct way is I-81 just across the Va line, take Exit 1-B toward Gate City (Hwy 421/58) and from there you just got one turnoff at a red light (business 421/58/23) and you'll see it.

However, I think it may be quicker to hit I-26 at exit 57-B in Tennessee (toward Kingsport), which then turns into Hwy 23. 23 then merges w/ 421/58, same as first directions.

Do not take 421/58.....its a nightmare.

Players to watch:

Jake Lilly #12 - Running Back/Linebacker (taking snaps this game, I'm sure); Lilly can control both sides of the ball and plays special teams as well. An extreme force running the ball and stopping those who run against him.

Marcus Patterson #12 - Receiver/Running Back, Defensive Back, Kick Returns; Special threat in all aspects of the game. The fastest player on the field for the Beavers tonight

Keith Ferguson #52 - Offensive Line/Linebacker; He and Lilly make a vicious defensive duo. Very hardhitter who has some decent speed to help the second layer of defense.

Trey Williams #15 - Receiver and I believe plays on defense and special teams; Trey reminds me of what Cody Wassum was for the Beavers his junior and senior years. Not the main guy, not the highlighted player on the field, but a definite role player who does his job very well with or without the ball.

#12 Jake Lilly

#42 Marcus Patterson

Enrollment 665 - Gate City (10-12)

Enrollment 518 - Bluefield (9-11)

From what I have found GC has 681 students as seen here http://www.vhsl.org/files/fb-divisions-2009-10.pdf

Bluefield has 646 as seen here

http://www.vhsl.org/files/fb-outofstate-divisions-2009.pdf

What is with Bluefield counting only 9-11? Do they not have seniors?

What is with Bluefield counting only 9-11? Do they not have seniors?

Yes they do but those are just the enrollment numbers that the WV$$AC (WV's version of the VH$L) uses to create classifications.