Lee High at J.J.Kelly

Unchained

Classic "trap" game with JJK awaiting a huge game the following week vs Powell Valley. Here's hoping the TRIBE stays focused and moves to 6-0. Beamerball,are you going to be there? If so say hello (I've always respected your posts both on here and the LPD board). You can never tell with Lee. They always have some athletes,but can't seem to put it together. I'll go with the Indians 35-7.

Classic "trap" game with JJK awaiting a huge game the following week vs Powell Valley. Here's hoping the TRIBE stays focused and moves to 6-0. Beamerball,are you going to be there? If so say hello (I've always respected your posts both on here and the LPD board). You can never tell with Lee. They always have some athletes,but can't seem to put it together. I'll go with the Indians 35-7.

Trap game? So far it's the toughest team Kelly has played!!

Trap game? So far it's the toughest team Kelly has played!!

My point exactly....and that's saying a lot considering Lee isn't very good this year either. But, really, you could make an "All-Star" (if ya can call it that) team consisting of the teams KY Jelly has played to this point, and they couldn't beat Lee...Jelly's early schedule would make any half way decent team look like a contender.

My point exactly....and that's saying a lot considering Lee isn't very good this year either. But, really, you could make an "All-Star" (if ya can call it that) team consisting of the teams KY Jelly has played to this point, and they couldn't beat Lee...Jelly's early schedule would make any half way decent team look like a contender.

Instead of doing what you do best,which is bitch and gripe about our schedule,hows about a rundown on Lee,an intelligent breakdown if you can pull it off,considering that your Vikes have played Lee this year.

Instead of doing what you do best,which is bitch and gripe about our schedule,hows about a rundown on Lee,an intelligent breakdown if you can pull it off,considering that your Vikes have played Lee this year.

I saw part of on film on them but from what I saw they are NOT very good. They have an OK running game and zero passing game.

On D they are on the slow side speed wise

IMHO Lee will be lucky to finish the season 2-8 (IMHO Battle will make a run at beating them this season)

I don't bitch and gripe about your schedule...I tell it how it is. And I sure as hell don't give rave reviews about beating the likes of Thomas Walker, Rye Cove, Coeburn, (every patsy in SWVA) and so on and so forth... Beat somebody worth beating and then brag about it why dontcha..

I don't bitch and gripe about your schedule...I tell it how it is. And I sure as hell don't give rave reviews about beating the likes of Thomas Walker, Rye Cove, Coeburn, (every patsy in SWVA) and so on and so forth... Beat somebody worth beating and then brag about it why dontcha..

Guess an intelligent rundown is above your head. At least Counts pulled it off. I asked you for a rundown,as you had seen Lee when your Vikes played them. Simple task really.

The run down is that Lee's the best team Kelly has played to date and they're struggling to say the least. Kelly's waltz through the Cumberland may come back to bite them down the road when they have to play other division 2 teams. I don't believe Lee will have much for Kelly but who really knows? Gate City, Powell Valley, Lebanon, Virginia High and Honaker play quality schedules and have been battle tested.......can you say that about Kelly? We probably won't know anything about Kelly til next week.

Beamerball,are you going to be there? If so say hello (I've always respected your posts both on here and the LPD board).

Hope to be there...if I get home from work early enough, not looking like I will though.

Hard to say much about Lee, they've done a lot of things from week to week trying to get their offense going and get some more focus off of Graham and they might have finally begun to do that with the way the Harlan game sounded. They've got another running back emerging along side of Graham and the change at qb has opened up another running threat there. Passing game is still lacking some, or was. Still having some problems on special teams and defensively not as sharp. Lee's also played these KY teams, that many around don't know much about, so guess we'll see more about both teams come Friday night. Hopefully Lee's been able to work on some things with these off weeks and improve heading into this second half. I think they're capable of playing much better and don't think they are as bad as some are saying.

Edited by Beamerball

Your schedule is what it is. Kelly's coach Salyers is building the program back to respectability. Two years ago they were on about the same level as some of the teams they are beating to death now. Last year's team beat PV and had Region D Champion Lebanon on it's heels for much of the game in the semifinals. You don't just suddenly become able to schedule the Richlands and Lebanons of the world. You have to have proven that you can compete with those teams before they will schedule you. PV can schedule the big boys on tradition alone, Kelly can not.

People could say PV has scheduled out of their league this year. They can't compete with the likes of Lebanon and Harlan Co. It doesn't make you any better if you can't block people and move the ball, and you don't get any better by having less than 100 yards total offense.

As for telling it like it is, here are the facts: Kelly's program is on the rise and PV's is on the slide.

Now for the upcoming game on Friday. Lee has one of the premier backs in Southwest Virginia in Graham. The kid is an athlete, plain and simple. Having seen Lee in action against Kelly and Burton in the jamboree and against PV in the first game of the season, blocking has been a problem for the Generals. Games are won in the trenches and Lee has yet to get untracked there. If they do, they could become a formidable opponent for anyone, including Kelly. But until they can prove otherwise, then their record speaks for itself, no wins yet. They've had two open weeks in the past three, so we'll see what adjustments they've made.

My prediction is Kelly 21, Lee 13.

Your schedule is what it is. Kelly's coach Salyers is building the program back to respectability. Two years ago they were on about the same level as some of the teams they are beating to death now. Last year's team beat PV and had Region D Champion Lebanon on it's heels for much of the game in the semifinals. You don't just suddenly become able to schedule the Richlands and Lebanons of the world. You have to have proven that you can compete with those teams before they will schedule you. PV can schedule the big boys on tradition alone, Kelly can not.

People could say PV has scheduled out of their league this year. They can't compete with the likes of Lebanon and Harlan Co. It doesn't make you any better if you can't block people and move the ball, and you don't get any better by having less than 100 yards total offense.

As for telling it like it is, here are the facts: Kelly's program is on the rise and PV's is on the slide.

Now for the upcoming game on Friday. Lee has one of the premier backs in Southwest Virginia in Graham. The kid is an athlete, plain and simple. Having seen Lee in action against Kelly and Burton in the jamboree and against PV in the first game of the season, blocking has been a problem for the Generals. Games are won in the trenches and Lee has yet to get untracked there. If they do, they could become a formidable opponent for anyone, including Kelly. But until they can prove otherwise, then their record speaks for itself, no wins yet. They've had two open weeks in the past three, so we'll see what adjustments they've made.

My prediction is Kelly 21, Lee 13.

You just got your witness from the congregation brother! Great post

If you say so...there isn't a respectable team in SWVA that wouldn't be undefeated playing Jelly's schedule...if that's "on the rise" to you, then whatever. You're in the minority. But IMO, if Jelly wants to play a Cumberland schedule, move 'em to the Cumberland where they outnumber most every school with a 2 to 1 ratio...that's the only games they'll win 99% of the time anyways.

If you say so...there isn't a respectable team in SWVA that wouldn't be undefeated playing Jelly's schedule...if that's "on the rise" to you, then whatever. You're in the minority. But IMO, if Jelly wants to play a Cumberland schedule, move 'em to the Cumberland where they outnumber most every school with a 2 to 1 ratio...that's the only games they'll win 99% of the time anyways.

Seems to me that we've been winning a few LPD games as of late as well (and rest assured that'll go up with the crew coming up behind the current edition).

so.........no explanation for the decline of the mighty Vikings?

Edited by six4three

From the BHC

Lee High at J.J. Kelly

One of just three unbeaten teams in Southwest Virginia, J.J. Kelly has posted a 5-0 record thanks to a physical defense and power running game. Alex McArthur and Lucas Kerns starred in last week’s 50-8 victory over Rye Cove. The Indians should remain unbeaten but they can’t be caught looking ahead against the Generals.

Prediction: J.J. Kelly 32, Lee High 16

Hoople's pick:

LEE 19, J.J. KELLY 13 — The chalk talk is over. It’s time to perform. Pay no attention to menacing looks, Generals. The bigger they are, the louder they bawl. Hak-kaff!

Edited by Unchained

Kelly wins this one 16-14. Other than about 3 plays by Tyler Graham the Indians dominated this one. Yet Lee High still almost came away with the win.

Lee had no offensive snaps in the 1st quarter yet led 7-0 when Graham picked up a fumble and raced 75 yards after Kelly had driven about 50 yards deep into Lee territory. Kelly got the ball back and proceeded to drive the ball again in a driving rain storm. The tough thing here was that they started on the 2 yard line after a mental mistake of fielding the kick-off as it was going out of bounds near the goal line. They stalled near midfield and had to attempt a punt. A bad snap had the punter on his knee receiving the ball and Lee took over inside the 40. Two plays later Graham raced 33 yards to the TD and it looked very bleak for the Indians as the rain continued to pour.

The Indians have not shown a consistent passing game this season and with the rain it wasn't happening on this night either. Graham made the majority of the tackles for Lee from his free safety position going unblocked as Kelly could not get a block on him.

Just when it appeared that this might be the General's night Lucas Kerns busted one straight up the gut for about 60 yards and the Indians tacked on the two point conversion to come back from the dead.

It was all Kelly from there as they chewed up the clock in the 2nd half keeping the ball on the ground scoring again in the 3rd and plowing for the two-point conversion and win late in the 3rd quarter.

Lee's coaching staff had a good game plan defensively as they dared the Indians to throw, but throwing was virtually impossible in the monsoon conditions.

Graham single handedly kept the Generals in the game on both sides of the ball as he took the shotgun snaps all night and had to be the leading tackler on defense.

Make no mistake, Lee High had a chance to win this game. But in the end the Indians did what they had to do to get the victory. They could have folded tent down 14-0 with the terrible weather conditions, but they didn't.

As for the Indians schedule, yes in a lot of ways it has not helped playing the teams they have played, but as I said earlier, it is what it is. Hopefully as the program continues to make strides they can beef up their schedule.

Also, it's hard to convince a bunch of teenagers that another team is for real when they are 0-4 on the season. Lee High is not a great team but they do have some good football players. It's been a rough start and the difficult part is that their tough district competition lies ahead of them.

Total yardage tonight was probably close to 3-1 for the Indians, with Tyler Graham accounting for nearly all of Lee's offensive production.

My prediction of 21-13 wasn't too far off. Kelly had a 45 yard TD called back on their last drive on a holding penalty 20 yards away from the ball. But it was called early so hard to deny. They also fumbled the ball again when they were picking up a 4th down conversion with less that 3 minutes to play.

Edited by six4three

Although they should be getting Graham the ball a lot, think they could've gotten Hill or someone else a few more carries in the game along with Graham and tried to open it up a ittle more. Says a lot about him too with all the focus there and everyone knowing whats coming and he still churns out these big games. How much time exactly did Lee have on their last play, I forget... I know they were without timeouts but it seemed like they were quick to go to the air like that right then.

One of the turning points in the game seemed to happen on Lee's opening possession of the 2nd half also, when they started off like they were going to drive the ball down the field and just imploded, racking up 4 penalties before even getting another play off on that drive, then Kelly responded with a good, long time consuming scoring drive to take the lead and eventually winning it.

Lee getting pushed around more up the middle on defense this year, missing Shoemaker and others presence a lot I think up front. Still haven't found a passing game. Lee's young though, got a lot of sophomores starting (and Graham one of them), think they'll get better and have the potential to be really good in a couple of years.

My thoughts from the LPD board:

I told folks that this was a trap game,that we'd get caught looking ahead. When I met up with my buddies tonight and said the same,they thought I was crazy. By halftime,they figured out I was right. We made enough mistakes to last a season tonight. Lee's first score was from a fumble,and their 2nd TD came via a short field from another miscue. Take nothing away from the Generals though. Those guys played inspired football. The conditions/variables tonight were perfect for an upset. As bad as it was in the first half,a little motivation and some adjusting (Graham is a dandy back who gashed us in the first half,but we shut him down in the 2nd),and JJK played a much better 2nd (the long,punishing drive to grab the lead was as nice as it gets). If we do not play 2 solid halves next week,PV will wax us-simple as that. I will say though that our kids showed tons of heart,character,and poise after falling behind 14-0. Many JJK teams in the past would have laid down (a testament to this bunch). I'm sure this will be a rough week of practice,but I really believe that tonight may have been exactly what we needed. At the end of the day though,we are 6-0. Best of luck to Lee the rest of the way. The Generals earned my respect tonight.

(Graham is a dandy back who gashed us in the first half,but we shut him down in the 2nd),

Of course not as hard to do though as it becomes more obvious what's going to come, lol. Not to mention being the one on almost every play and coming up with a lot defensively also, and wearing down as the game goes. Didn't think the yardage from the 1st to the 2nd was that great of a difference though, or might be wrong, haha.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Unchained and six4three....y'all care to tell me some more about how KY Jelly is "on the up and up" and how PV is in decline? I won't dispute that PV isn't very good this year, but in the words of Dennis Green...KY Jelly "are who we thought they were"..lol

Edited by sup_rbeast