Richlands vs CC

bigdogfan2

Richlands vs CC  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Richlands vs CC

• Richlands
    • CC

I look for a tough football game. The Blues are never on their "A" game when we go to CC for some reason. If the Blues play the way they have been playing they get the W. The kids will have the right mind set for this one, they know how important this game is. Beat CC and you got yet another SWD title under your belt and a 1st or 2nd seed in the playoffs, hopefully 1st. I believe everybody in Richlands remembers the 05 season, we killed everyone and beat CC 7-6 up there.

This is gonna be a very good football game ! I think that Richlands wins if they do not turn the ball over and can keep CC to 3 & outs. If CC is able to run the ball like they want to and keep it away from the blues O, it could be a very close game. It's tough to stop Richlands, they have been very balanced on O over the last several games. The running game has been very good with Devone & Cody, Austin and Parnell all running the ball well right now, and Cody is getting more people involved in the passing game.

It seems like we always have a tough game up there though. CC is very good at home.

Richlands 28 CC 14

It's funny how all the ingredients involved with determining the outcomes of each game always come down to one single element: EXECUTION. The team that runs their "stuff" better and doesn't turn the ball over generally wins. CCHS is well coached and generally runs its system well. If we hang on to the ball and eat clock, we are hard to beat. Then again, one could say the same for most teams following that recipe. Richlands runs a high risk-high reward system which is entertaining and generally gives them a chance to win any game-any where. I would hate to make a living predicting the outcomes of high school football games, so I'll just watch and enjoy two good teams go at it! Both teams look good for playoff spots, with the winner securing a bigger prize and the loser trying not to let this game beat them twice...

field condition may have something to do with it. wouldnt a wet muddy field hurt richlands? i dont know but i think conditions will be bad for a running game. may take away the speed advantage. could be low scoring

Make that 3 yards a puddle of mud as opposed to a cloud of dust? As I type this, there is a 30% chance of rain in Hillsville at kickoff. We've had rain every week but the Tazewell game! It rained last week for Grundy and the field conditions were not a factor (throwing out the always present psychological effect rain my have on individual players or play calling). The field drains exceptionally well and both teams will have to play in those conditions, so I doubt the weather or the field will impact the outcome more than marginally. May the best team on that night win...

It's funny how all the ingredients involved with determining the outcomes of each game always come down to one single element: EXECUTION. The team that runs their "stuff" better and doesn't turn the ball over generally wins. CCHS is well coached and generally runs its system well. If we hang on to the ball and eat clock, we are hard to beat. Then again, one could say the same for most teams following that recipe. Richlands runs a high risk-high reward system which is entertaining and generally gives them a chance to win any game-any where. I would hate to make a living predicting the outcomes of high school football games, so I'll just watch and enjoy two good teams go at it! Both teams look good for playoff spots, with the winner securing a bigger prize and the loser trying not to let this game beat them twice...

Your exactly right ! Execution is everything at any level of football ! The team that makes the least amount of mistakes and doesn't turn the ball over will usually win 90% of the time.

I think it's gonna be a great game and fun to watch, as it's all on the line for the district !

I just hope that both teams come out of the game without any injuries ! This is a bad time of the year to have any of those, although i don't think any time is good for injuries...

Good luck to your guys, although I hope we win of course, just as I know you hope CC wins !

It should be fun !

they threw the ball some against Marion and had some guys open the reavis kid at receiver is good as far as their defense goes I would say average not terrible but not great either. Marion moved the ball on them so I would say Richlands shouldnt have many problems.

they threw the ball some against Marion and had some guys open the reavis kid at receiver is good as far as their defense goes I would say average not terrible but not great either. Marion moved the ball on them so I would say Richlands shouldnt have many problems.

You no how they are at defending the pass?

Marion didnt really pass that much until the end of the game so I really cant say for sure but Marion had some receivers open when we did throw it like I said Richlands should not have many problems the only thing that could cost them would be playing at CC

Bigrhsfan: I couldn't have said it better myself...

Nadoball: Yes, CCHS can throw the ball very effectively and has more weapons than Tyler Reavis. Clearly, Carroll is a running team and mixes in the pass sparingly. We all know that teams can break tendencies from week to week given the opponent, so we shall see how many times we throw Friday. As for how we defend the pass, how do any high school players or teams defend the pass? Not very well if we're truthful. That "average" defense is giving up 12 points a game in district and 16 overall, so I wouldn't say they are average when it comes to the bottom line of points allowed. Yes, they have given up yards and most opponents have driven the ball between the 20's, but we have limited big plays and scoring for the most part. That's what effective defenses do, so I'd say we are "effective."

This is "rare air" for CCHS to have an opportunity to win a district title, as we have exactly ZERO. This is senior night for a great group of young men who all grew up and played in Carroll their entire lives. The script couldn't be written any better for them on Friday night. However, we all respect the program and team that Richlands is bringing to town. Throw out the common opponents and the attempts to hijack this thread with any nonsense about the game being here (clear reference to all the officiating junk). Richlands is the champion and "to be the man you gotta beat the man." So, it should be interesting and Carroll County doesn't have to win 4 of 7 or be the better team; they just have to be better from 7:30 to around 9:30 Friday night-easier said than done, but that's why they play the games...

Bigrhsfan: I couldn't have said it better myself...

Nadoball: Yes, CCHS can throw the ball very effectively and has more weapons than Tyler Reavis. Clearly, Carroll is a running team and mixes in the pass sparingly. We all know that teams can break tendencies from week to week given the opponent, so we shall see how many times we throw Friday. As for how we defend the pass, how do any high school players or teams defend the pass? Not very well if we're truthful. That "average" defense is giving up 12 points a game in district and 16 overall, so I wouldn't say they are average when it comes to the bottom line of points allowed. Yes, they have given up yards and most opponents have driven the ball between the 20's, but we have limited big plays and scoring for the most part. That's what effective defenses do, so I'd say we are "effective."

This is "rare air" for CCHS to have an opportunity to win a district title, as we have exactly ZERO. This is senior night for a great group of young men who all grew up and played in Carroll their entire lives. The script couldn't be written any better for them on Friday night. However, we all respect the program and team that Richlands is bringing to town. Throw out the common opponents and the attempts to hijack this thread with any nonsense about the game being here (clear reference to all the officiating junk). Richlands is the champion and "to be the man you gotta beat the man." So, it should be interesting and Carroll County doesn't have to win 4 of 7 or be the better team; they just have to be better from 7:30 to around 9:30 Friday night-easier said than done, but that's why they play the games...

I would have to say that this will be the true test for CC defense. They probably haven't faced this kind of speed and big play ability yet, correct me if im wrong not sure who all you guys have played. The best thing for Richlands is to come out of the gates fast, if that happens, watch out you will be behind 14 and not even realize it. I look for Richlands to give CC a good dose of Devon Johnson and pull up and strike down field to Austin or Brad. Special teams may play a roll in this one aswell.

No, this will not be the first true test for CCHS. I doubt very seriously that Richlands is much more talented or faster than Christiansburg, but we shall see. C'burg hung 43 on Salem in 3OT's, so they can score. They scored with 1:16 left to tally 23 on Carroll. It was a 10-7 game with 9:42 to go before one of their backs broke 3 tackles for a first down and then hit a 68 yard run to pretty much end it on the next play. We installed a new defense this year and it took the kids and coaches a few games to get it down, so Bassett got us by one and we returned the favor by one over Patrick County the next week. This is the fastest team CCHS has probably ever had, so if we get smoked, then our opponent clearly has more speed. We shouldn't be intimated by speed, but that's certainly not all either team brings to the field.

We all should recognize that Richlands has a more talented team than Carroll. However, the more talented team doesn't always win. Carroll may fold under all the pressure of the big game, but our history doesn't indicate that these kids blink very often. I remember when Graham came to town with two D-1 players and got out alive 20-12. Ditto for the game with Richlands you continue to reference in 2005. If I knew the final score or could predict 14-holes, I wouldn't be typing this message; I'd be in Vegas.

I remember when Graham came to town with two D-1 players and got out alive 20-12. Ditto for the game with Richlands you continue to reference in 2005. If I knew the final score or could predict 14-holes, I wouldn't be typing this message; I'd be in Vegas.

This is why everyone talks about it being tough to play you guys at home. Not sure about the Graham game, but I know the Richlands game was not close because of officiating. In recent history you guys have just been tough at home. Not sure why, maybe it is just the long trip down there.

I remember when Graham came to town with two D-1 players and got out alive 20-12.

Incorrect. The year Graham escaped Carroll Co. with a 20-12 win was in 1997...in a downpour...the last time I went to a game at Carroll Co. Although Graham had a really good team that season that lost three games to two opponents (Bluefield and Gate City twice), both of which won their respective State Championships that season, there were NO D-1 players on that team.

It is correct that there were two D-1 prospects on that '97 team. The end who was 6'8"ish ended up going to VT. I don't remeber why the RB didn't go anywhere, but that is the game I was referencing.

Graham didn't have any players on that team that went to D-1 schools to play football. And I don't know of any kid that was 6'8" that has gone to Graham in the last 30 years...had a few at 6'5"/6'6" but none that were 6'8". Now Gate City on the other hand, had two players on their '97 team that went to D-1 schools...Josh Shoemaker who was 6'8" and played QB went to Wake Forest to play basketball and Jake Houseright, RB/LB, went to VT for football. I really think you may have Graham and Gate City confused in this instance...

GMan, You are 100% correct and I stand corrected! I am no expert on anything, especially Graham football. I will say that I do remember scrimmaging Graham back in the 70's and they were always BIG, had very good speed, and were the best coached teams around. I always had a ton of respect for their program.

The one thing I remember most about that game was that Graham ran toward Graham's side of the field almost every play that night. If they got the ball on the CC side of the field, they immediately ran a play back towards the Graham bench and ran to the short side every time. However, one play fooled everyone when Graham ran wide toward the CC side for about a 60-yard TD. That was a good game...Carroll Co. had a heck of a team that season...weren't they ranked in the Top 10 when Graham played them that night?

Gman,

Ah, let's see if I know more about CCHS than Graham football (fingers crossed): That Carroll team came in at 8-0 and that game determined the marbles in the SWD. Graham had better talent and I can't readily think of any coach who was better than Glen Carlock. That was one fine high school football game and a great atmosphere despite the rain. Carroll didn't run Jeremy Overfelt enough on that criss-cross until it was too late. We just kept pounding Billy Clougher and he kept getting pounded (God, he was one tough kid!). We beat Tazewell the next week, but lost 34-14 to Lee County in the first round of the playoffs to finish 9-2.

One of the best games in the history of Tommy Thompson Field had to be the Richlands game from 2005 that Carroll lost 7-6. That was a 48 minute fist fight and I am expecting the same type of game Friday night-very physical. Graham wasted us the next week 49-7. Graham also ended our undefeated season in week 10 in 2003 with a big whippin', but I can't recall the score. That team finished 10-2 and was one of the great turnarounds from an 0-10 season in 2001...

Guest Woolybugger
Gman,

Ah, let's see if I know more about CCHS than Graham football (fingers crossed): That Carroll team came in at 8-0 and that game determined the marbles in the SWD. Graham had better talent and I can't readily think of any coach who was better than Glen Carlock. That was one fine high school football game and a great atmosphere despite the rain. Carroll didn't run Jeremy Overfelt enough on that criss-cross until it was too late. We just kept pounding Billy Clougher and he kept getting pounded (God, he was one tough kid!). We beat Tazewell the next week, but lost 34-14 to Lee County in the first round of the playoffs to finish 9-2.

One of the best games in the history of Tommy Thompson Field had to be the Richlands game from 2005 that Carroll lost 7-6. That was a 48 minute fist fight and I am expecting the same type of game Friday night-very physical. Graham wasted us the next week 49-7. Graham also ended our undefeated season in week 10 in 2003 with a big whippin', but I can't recall the score. That team finished 10-2 and was one of the great turnarounds from an 0-10 season in 2001...

That would be in '03. Carroll hadn't given up but a couple of rushing touchdowns all year, but Bradshaw & Co. ran for 5 that day. Carroll had a two-point conversion that would have cut it to 8 points with 8 minutes left, and it all fell apart and Graham won 47-16. Carroll was the highest-rated team in R IV, D4 that year, but had to play two playoff games on the road cuz Ab and Mag Vis won their district. Carroll lost to MV 3-0 in the region finals. They changed the rule the next year to higher rating hosts.