D1 needs 6 teams

romeo37

They play who they were suppose to play. Apalachia would beat Thomas Walker and Haysi. Everyone says Hurley didnt play anybody but WV and KY schools. They beat ST. Paul and Pound pretty convincing. The Ky schools they play were better than St paul and Pound. East Ridge would beat both schools.

i have to Disagree, East Ridge is TERRIBLE.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have to Disagree, East Ridge is TERRIBLE.

I know East Ridge Ky was not that good but I think they were better than Pound and ST Paul. Hurley beat Pound and ST Paul but they couldt stop East Ridge.

Tennhoo, you are talking nonsense now, I am just saying if you were in the same position would you not question why? I have to say we are not like you guys from these big schools that are loaded up every year with great atheletes...its rare that we can say that we have a loaded up football team..and to see everyone one else go to the playoffs with their loaded up teams comes no surprise to people...but when I question why just four for us then it shows ...I feel if you can determine the strength and the deserving then you must be god...don't pass judgement until you watch these kids...you have to take everything into consideration , like where we are from our area, not many teams are loaded all at once around here , so yea I feel we DESERVE a chance just the same as the loaded up teams ....Why does it bother you so? Conspiracy, lord how mercy?

Region D could not have went to a 6 team emergency playoff system because the regular season is not complete. When the principals voted against a 6 team format, Lee and Thomas Walker scheduled a game for this Friday. Going to a 6 team format just waters down the reward of going to the playoffs even more. Also in Region D if you go to a 6 team format in D1, you have to do it in D2, and there really isn't 6 deserving D2 schools to make the playoffs just like there isn't 6 D1 teams. Every school is guaranteed 1 spot in the playoffs if they take care of business inside their district.

i think win your district thats fine but it should go on points district dont mean crap in my book thats just pride games in my book they need to do this the right way you get in on points haysi dont deserve to go they dont have the points tw dont deserve to go there points is lower than haysi and yelp iam crying or ever what you all want to say about me the rebs deserves to be there they are 3rd in points and i think thats pretty darn good this system is not fair we deserve 6 teams going just like all the others its not a fair system at all

Do away with rewarding points for wins over out of state opponents and I will agree with going solely on points. Divide the number of points by the number of teams you have played IN STATE and let the chips fall where they may.

But let's face it - Haysi defeated everyone within their own district & Hurley had a losing district record, right? How can you justify "playoffs" if you can't even have a winning record in the district you belong?

Edited by Observer77

That last part is about the only thing I agree with.

Re-do the playoffs so ONLY teams that were above .500 in their district qualify.

And I'll push for no OoS games IF you agree that any "border-county" school that requests a game with ANY team within their Region GETS that game. Nobody wants to travel to Hurley or Walker... so let those schools decide who they want to play and MAKE THEM play when requested. That seems fair to me.

Like , I said before...all these answers still does not justify why we only have four spots instead of six....I still feel if we are playing under the same program and under the same rules and guidelines as everyone else then we should have six spots just the same as everyone else no matter the strength of the opponents ....it is not fair in a sense and you know it "helper" is there a rule against letting D1 have 6 spots....if you walk in a classroom, by just looking at the kids overall, can you tell which one is the smartest , strongest, weakest, and the ones that live across the "border" how strong they are....there is one thing for sure...they all have to follow the same rules under the same teacher and are in the same room..and are there for the same thing ..is it not fair to say, that every child in that room has opportunities to excell, as they all do the same work ....under the same guidelines they are weeded out by points on test and such till you get to the top six in the class points does count for something....it balances out itself....why would this class D1 be any different....We are sitting in the top five in points and sitting home that's ridiculous people...I say whats fair for one is for the other...we can go on with excuses and different answers all night but the bottom line is why not be challenged by that fifth and sixth spot..it would make it really interesting for a lot of people...Yea, I think they deserve to be in a playoff game , and yea I feel they should call a special or emergency,meeting whatever you want to call it....the voting is not that complicated to raise a hand in agreement to expand....what are they waiting for...if it is not addressed then that is down right discrimination to me.....I'm sorry but that's the way I feel about this .....

Like , I said before...all these answers still does not justify why we only have four spots instead of six........it is not fair in a sense and you know it "helper" is there a rule against letting D1 have 6 spots..

Yes... the rule says four UNLESS your COACHES and AD's agree to more. And they didn't.

I still feel if we are playing under ... the same rules as everyone else then we should have six spots just the same as everyone else no matter the strength of the opponents ....it is not fair in a sense and you know it "helper"

I'll say this ONE MORE TIME ... everyone else does NOT have 6 spots. In Group A, ONLY Region C has more than 4. You're playing under the same rules as 3/4 ths of the other "A" teams in the state. AND you're playing under the same rules as EVERYONE ELSE in YOUR REGION... and that's how the playoffs and Divisions are set up.

You got a problem, take it up with Coop.

opps... I meant Tester.
There is nothing Tester can do becasue it was voted on last year by the Principals in the Region D meeting. The coaches have nothing to do woth the format. It is the principals that vote on it. It has to be adressed a year in advance. It was adressed last year and the majority of the Region D principals voted NO. It takes more than one principal. They couldnt have 6 teams this year becasue Thoma Walker plays this weekend in their last regula season game. As bad as i would like it of Appalachia also their is still nothing we can do.

Obviously your team isn't loaded up this year or they would've beaten Haysi, Honaker, or BFE, West Virginia. You keep talking about all these bigger schools having all these advantages. None of the schools in your division have more than fifty more students than you. In fact JIB has less than Hurley. Just because this is the first year Hurley has put together a mediocre team in a long time, it doesn't mean they should get in the playoffs.

Just out of curiosity, does anybody know the reason Hurley didn't schedule Grundy this year? If they had beaten them (unlikely), that would've been a good way for them to pick up points while actually playing a team nearby.

There is nothing Tester can do becasue it was voted on last year by the Principals in the Region D meeting. The coaches have nothing to do woth the format. It is the principals that vote on it. It has to be adressed a year in advance. It was adressed last year and the majority of the Region D principals voted NO. It takes more than one principal. They couldnt have 6 teams this year becasue Thoma Walker plays this weekend in their last regula season game. As bad as i would like it of Appalachia also their is still nothing we can do.

Tester has the principal's ear... he coaches the team. He knows the other coaches ... they have the ears of their principals. If the coaches want it, they'll push for it. You think the principals voted on this without talking to their coaches??

If Tommy's game was the reason, that's a major screw-up. Teams aren't required to play 10 games. If the other 20 teams worked their scheds to open up the last week, they shoulda voted 20-2 to expand.

Obviously your team isn't loaded up this year or they would've beaten Haysi, Honaker, or BFE, West Virginia. You keep talking about all these bigger schools having all these advantages. None of the schools in your division have more than fifty more students than you. In fact JIB has less than Hurley. Just because this is the first year Hurley has put together a mediocre team in a long time, it doesn't mean they should get in the playoffs.

Just out of curiosity, does anybody know the reason Hurley didn't schedule Grundy this year? If they had beaten them (unlikely), that would've been a good way for them to pick up points while actually playing a team nearby.

Hurley has the 3rd. smallest enrollment for a school that plays football in our area. St. Paul is the smallest, Ervinton being stuck between the two schools.

Hurley 200-205 kids

Ervinton 178-182

St. Paul 148-152

I left a little room for error in case these school may have went up or stayed the same. I think they tried on Grundy but couldn't match dates. I think they may try again this year if the play dates match up.

Edited by thevols

Tester has the principal's ear... he coaches the team. He knows the other coaches ... they have the ears of their principals. If the coaches want it, they'll push for it. You think the principals voted on this without talking to their coaches??

If Tommy's game was the reason, that's a major screw-up. Teams aren't required to play 10 games. If the other 20 teams worked their scheds to open up the last week, they shoulda voted 20-2 to expand.

The principlas of Region D did not want to water the playoffs down anymore that what it was. From waht I was told every principal voted to keep the playoff format to 4 teams. I know for a fact that Clintwood and Virginia High's principal was against the expanded playoff and Id say every other principal was too. I know Appy and Hurley got left out but I bet Coach Austin and Coach Tester both was in favor of keeping it to 4 teams becasue they love the game and they know that watering it down to give everyone a chance takes away form it.

well here's the thing. If they up it to 6 teams then over 90 percent of D2 goes to the playoff's in Region D because there's only 8 teams in D2. There is 14 in D1, but on an average there is only around 3 teams that could be deserving and occasionally there is 4. ( and this not intended to down any school or program, but just the sad reality) And you cant do it for only one year, if the system in put in then it has to stay this way, but year in and year out it would just cause 3-7 and 4-6 teams to make the playoffs.

well here's the thing. If they up it to 6 teams then over 90 percent of D2 goes to the playoff's in Region D because there's only 8 teams in D2. There is 14 in D1, but on an average there is only around 3 teams that could be deserving and occasionally there is 4. ( and this not intended to down any school or program, but just the sad reality) And you cant do it for only one year, if the system in put in then it has to stay this way, but year in and year out it would just cause 3-7 and 4-6 teams to make the playoffs.

U should know all about making the playoffs at 4-6 in 2004. LOL

Talk about the teams a school schedules. Look at Thomas Walkers schedule they played all six teams in their district plus four division 2 teams. I don't think their schedule is watered down. Powell valley is in the play-offs and went 5-5 but the teams they played won more games than the teams anyone else played.

U should know all about making the playoffs at 4-6 in 2004. LOL

And again in 2005 at 8-2, back to back playoff appearances (something im proud of, no matter how anyone takes it. That's something I will take with me the rest of my life, granted we didn't do well in them but it was a great experience) So joke about that all you want Vols :) my point is on down years the region have some crappy teams in the playoffs. We were in at 4-6 and The Valley was in at (5-5?) that year, and then the next year Rye Cove was in at 5-5 or 6-4 and had the least amount of wins of anyone that year(but they won the Cumberland I think that year) but my point being is if you have those down playoff years like they did in '04 then with a 6 team format you are going to really not have any deserving teams in. And if it goes to a 6 team then you will start having 3-7 teams in the playoffs. Not enough teams in D2 and not enough good teams in D1. BUT I do think this years Hurley team really deserved a shot, I watched the Haysi game and Hurley should have won big. Hurley blew their opportunities. No one is realized how close Hurley came to a 10-0 season They lost to East Ridge by 5 Honaker by 2 and was only loosing to Haysi by 8 going into the 4th quarter. And Hurley play like crap in 2 of those 3 games. If you took the Rebs that Played Honaker, Pound, and the defense that the rebels played the first half of the season then your looking at a 10-0 possibly number one seed in the playoff's.

Edited by mapper

I think it takes away from the deserving teams and dont get me wrong I think Appalachia and Hurley both could beat Thomas Walker. The only reason Hurley got in at 4-6 and 8-2 a coulde of years ago was becasue Haysi and Clintwood were in D2 at that time. If Haysi was in D1 in 2005 Hurley would not have got in at 8-2 . The way it is right now the only game that matters for Hurley concerning the playoffs is Haysi. If Hurley was 9-1 this year with theri only loss being to Haysi they still would not be in becasue they cannot out point burton or clintwood. I do think this is wrong becasue any team sitting 8-2 or 9-1 regardless of the schedule should be in. Edited by rebel12

I think it takes away from the deserving teams and dont get me wrong I think Appalachia and Hurley both could beat Thomas Walker. The only reason Hurley got in at 4-6 and 8-2 a coulde of years ago was becasue Haysi and Clintwood were in D2 at that time. If Haysi was in D1 in 2005 Hurley would not have got in at 8-2 . The way it is right now the only game that matters for Hurley concerning the playoffs is Haysi. If Hurley was 9-1 this year with theri only loss being to Haysi they still would not be in becasue they cannot out point burton or clintwood. I do think this is wrong becasue any team sitting 8-2 or 9-1 regardless of the schedule should be in.

I was wrong anyway it was Twin Springs not Rye Cove in the playoffs in '05, Rye Cove was in D2 playoffs that year. Yes Hurley would have still been in because it would have knocked out Twin Springs. The way the Regions was then is how it still should be. It was more evenly balanced out the way it should be.

I was wrong anyway it was Twin Springs not Rye Cove in the playoffs in '05, Rye Cove was in D2 playoffs that year. Yes Hurley would have still been in because it would have knocked out Twin Springs. The way the Regions was then is how it still should be. It was more evenly balanced out the way it should be.
No because Hurley was a 3 seed and traveled to Appalachia. If Cwood and Haysi was in D1 Hurley would have been out becasue those 2 would have been in. It was Rye Cove that was in Divoision 1 during 2005 and plus you couldnt have knoeced them out becasue they won theri district. Norton beat Rye Cove first round and Appalachin beat Hurley. Twing springs was in in 2004 becasue they beat Twin Valley in the first round.

No because Hurley was a 3 seed and traveled to Appalachia. If Cwood and Haysi was in D1 Hurley would have been out becasue those 2 would have been in. It was Rye Cove that was in Divoision 1 during 2005 and plus you couldnt have knoeced them out becasue they won theri district. Norton beat Rye Cove first round and Appalachin beat Hurley. Twing springs was in in 2004 becasue they beat Twin Valley in the first round.

well hell don't get your panties in a twist over it. I got my years mixed up lol