Richlands Helmet/Uniform History

RichlandsAlum

Since the "old school helmet" thread was essentially hijacked by us Richlands folks, I thought it might be wise to start a new discussion.

The Blues have changed looks several times over the years. Just in the time that I can recall (beginning around 1976), Richlands has worn 17 different helmet styles. These range from plain white lids to a navy helmet in 1990 (basically a blue/gray version of Radford) to Vaught's silver helmet experiment.

The "official" color scheme has also evolved. In the '70s, the colors were very similar to Powell Valley, with Columbia Blue being the dominant shade for most sport. Red was almost always the secondary color or trim. And on one memorable occasion (at least to me), Richlands took the field against Tazewell in 1978 wearing very little -- if any-- blue clothing at all. Plain white helmets and pants were paired with a white jersey that actually had red numerals.

Although navy seems to have emerged as the dominant color, there seems to be no across the board consensus about whether or not Richlands actually has a "secondary" color at all. Hopefully the "Lightning R" will stick.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since the "old school helmet" thread was essentially hijacked by us Richlands folks, I thought it might be wise to start a new discussion.

The Blues have changed looks several times over the years. Just in the time that I can recall (beginning around 1976), Richlands has worn 17 different helmet styles. These range from plain white lids to a navy helmet in 1990 (basically a blue/gray version of Radford) to Vaught's silver helmet experiment.

The "official" color scheme has also evolved. In the '70s, the colors were very similar to Powell Valley, with Columbia Blue being the dominant shade for most sport. Red was almost always the secondary color or trim. And on one memorable occasion (at least to me), Richlands took the field against Tazewell in 1978 wearing very little -- if any-- blue clothing at all. Plain white helmets and pants were paired with a white jersey that actually had red numerals.

Although navy seems to have emerged as the dominant color, there seems to be no across the board consensus about whether or not Richlands actually has a "secondary" color at all. Hopefully the "Lightning R" will stick.

Either you have no time on your hands, or you have a memory like an elephant lol

Thanks for posting a thread over here.....I was feeling badly we'd taking over Hogo's thread.....sorry, Hogo!

17 different helmets since the mid 1970's is "a bunch".....I do hope the present "R" remains on the helmet. I have a magnet "lightning R" on the back of my car (with my GAC ,Greater Atlanta Christian magnet) proudly displayed for anyone to see. You wouldn't believe the school magnets on the back of vehicles down here.....

Thanks for posting a thread over here.....I was feeling badly we'd taking over Hogo's thread.....sorry, Hogo!

17 different helmets since the mid 1970's is "a bunch".....I do hope the present "R" remains on the helmet.

In fairness, some of the changes were fairly minor (like the width of the three stripes on the helmets from 1987 to 1988). But in his four seasons at RHS, Billy Haun changed the helmets every single year.

I know Columbia blue was an earlier color for football.....but, I don't remember the band wearing that color. The earliest band uniforms I remember were what I would call a Gate City blue. Can you pull that out of your Richlands trivia bank?

I liked the siver uni's that was pulled out for the playoff game against Lee in '95 I think? It seemed like there was a different logo on the helment every year after '92

Im sry guys I know this is off subject, but this throwback stuff got me to thinking. What ever happened to "Down Town" Timmy Brown?

I know Columbia blue was an earlier color for football.....but, I don't remember the band wearing that color. The earliest band uniforms I remember were what I would call a Gate City blue. Can you pull that out of your Richlands trivia bank?

Earliest band uniforms I remember (again talking mid '70s here) weren't quite navy, but a deep royal blue and white. From about 1976 to 1986, the band wore the infamous "q-tip" hats with uniforms that were primarily that same deep blue and white with Columbia blue trim. The new (then) uniforms for the 1986 Cotton Bowl Parade ditched the "q-tips" for a more standard military shaiko, but the color scheme was substantially the same. I honestly don't have much of a clue about band uniforms after about 1991.

Im sry guys I know this is off subject, but this throwback stuff got me to thinking. What ever happened to "Down Town" Timmy Brown?

As long as nobody objects, I hereby deem this to be a "catch all" thread for Richlands trivia. Therefore, there is no such thing as "off subject."

I attended my first game in 1979 but was too young to remember much of anything. I don't think I ever saw them in a game, but I do remember the light blue jerseys being used in practice. I also recall an Ole Miss style jersey that was blue, gray, and white. Also in practice.

The school lists the official colors as navy, silver, and white.

As long as nobody objects, I hereby deem this to be a "catch all" thread for Richlands trivia. Therefore, there is no such thing as "off subject."

Keep an eye on the blog at bluetornadofootball.com. I'm working on something I think you'll like. It will be up no later than Monday.

If you want to discuss '80s pop music or '70s television, I'm pretty "Rain Main"-esque there as well.

Can you count cards..if so we need to go to vegas next weekend..wait next weekends no good for me the Jonas Brothers are in town.. how about the weekend after?

Man, what was with Stubby Currence's vocabulary?

"Virginia Siders"

"Lewey Dalton's proteges"

ball on "the Graham 13 striper"

ball on "the enemy 22"

"Bluefield, Virginia gridsters"

I'm sure that style of writing was pretty common for the period though.

I graduated in 1969, and from for several years our colors were Carolina Blue and White (actually about the color of the lightest trim on this web page). Those were the days of Terry Wess at quarterback, Mike "Red Dog" Ratliff and Larry Davis at RB. Terry was also a basketball standout. I can still remember his lefty jumpshot.

I love this RHS trivia!

If I could design new uniforms they would be exactly like the NFL Raiders. Navy would replace black of course, and the lightning R would replace the Raiders logo on the helmet, but everything else would be the same. I'm a big fan of using a secondary color for the numbers (instead of white), and I've always liked the classic styles.

I do like Richlands' new home jersey, and I hope they can add the away version next year, but for the most part I'm not a fan of the modern designs.