Congrats to the Bluefield Beavers!

GMan

Bluefield has seemed, at least for the last 15 years or so, to have so much more speed than the rest of the local teams. I don't know if there is a training advantage, if it's due to the population advantage, or if it has something to do with the greater ethnic diversity (I believe Bluefield has the highest percentage of minorities in the region), but Bluefield seems to be really fast.

I know there have been a few years where Fred Simon had to go searching for kids for the team, but in general, over the years, the privilege of playing for Bluefield HS hasn't been a given. There were cuts, wash-outs, etc. Me, I never even went out at the HS level (and I sometimes wish I had that decision to do over again), knowing how tough and grueling the two-a-days were back then.

Mount View has the same advantages of speed and athletes, but it hasn't correlated into the anywhere near the same level of success. The vast majority of it is coaching and the players. For my money, Bluefield's coaching staff right now is the best in the state of WV. People take the coaches for granted, but their importance is paramount in the program's success.

I'm sure the coaches will be the first to tell you that they're lucky to have players willing to put in the extra time and effort into making the program what it is. Coaches can only coach those willing to learn and improve. A lot goes into having the level of success Bluefield has had. It's a community effort and something everyone associated with Bluefield should take pride in.

Mount View has the same advantages of speed and athletes, but it hasn't correlated into the anywhere near the same level of success. The vast majority of it is coaching and the players. For my money, Bluefield's coaching staff right now is the best in the state of WV. People take the coaches for granted, but their importance is paramount in the program's success.

I'm sure the coaches will be the first to tell you that they're lucky to have players willing to put in the extra time and effort into making the program what it is. Coaches can only coach those willing to learn and improve. A lot goes into having the level of success Bluefield has had. It's a community effort and something everyone associated with Bluefield should take pride in.

Well said and I'm very proud to be a supporter of BHS athletics.