new gym at graham high school?

futbolking

I heard on a radio broadcast early in the football season that Graham will get a new gym? What's the deal? Are they getting a new gym?

I'm sure some other need will come up in Richlands sooner or later that'll justify not giving it to Graham. ;)

I kid. Kind of.

In all seriousness, with the TCPS budget in smithereens, I'd hinge my bets on no.

It is probably the joint project with the Town to build gym space and new weight and dressing facilities for GHS. It has been a project that has been being pitched by the Carlock/Pruett foundation. I know that Mike Patton has spoken about it before the School Board.

Yep, article in the BDT today regarding this...

New Graham High gym step closer to reality

By Charles Owens

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

Tazewell, VA - The Tazewell County School Board has reached an agreement with the town of Bluefield on teh construction of a new gymnasium for Graham High School.

The gymnnasium complex is proposed adjacent to Graham High School. It is in addition to a proposed 7,000 square-foot field house project that has been proposed by the Carlock-Pruett Foundation.

"We did vote to enter into the agreement with the town of Bluefield, VA, for the construction of the gymnasium to support the recreation league programs and other programs within the Bluefield community," School Superintendent Dr. Brenda Lawson said of Monday night's meeting.

Lawson said the school system will utilize the gymnasium during teh school day and the town will use the facility during the weekdays after 6 PM and on weekends during the hours of 12 noon to 8 PM, or as otherwise agreed upon by both parties.

"We will be using the facility during the day, and of course it will be used in a manner that will support the school board's vision and mission for Tazewell County Public Schools, and must comply with all of the school board's policies and recommendations," Lawson said.

The gymnasium is proposed to include two 84-foot long basketball courts, restroom facilities, and other additions agreed upon by the town and school board.

"It will be a great partnership, and we are very thankful for the commitment that the town of Bluefield has made to the children of the Bluefield, VA area," Lawson said.

In addition to the new gymnasium, the Carlock-Pruett Foundation is hoping to develop a field house project near Graham High School that would include a locker room accommodating up to 50 people with appropriate shower and restroom facilities, a weight room, a coaches' office, a laundry and storage room and other additions.

all this is is one more thing for graham football that the other teams wont get to use

Does the Graham football team play basketball??? I bet the Town of Bluefield's Rec League uses it more than any other group...

talk about timing....no sooner than I asked the question, there was an article in the paper...I think the author of the article must frequent this site...or something...anyway, facilities are desperately needed for all sports in Bluefield, VA....they are certainly behind the times...It'll be great for the kids in the town, can't wait to see my kids play there...

The field house and locker rooms will be wonderful for that school to have as well....heck, they needed it when I was in school there...over 20 years ago...Just imagine all of the success that Graham teams had in the past with that little "closet" of a weight room.....amazing....

Glad to see Brenda Lawson and the TCSB supporting this and doing what's right for kids.

Edited by futbolking

• 4 weeks later...

Do they really need one the middle school gym in nice.

It will be an auxiliary gym for school/recreational type use, not a gym that can seat 2500 people for a basketball game...