state tourney updates

VHSLhelper

Grundy has 2 losses so far & I think 6 wins.

Biggest surprise for us so far was Jon Dot's opener against the Region I champ from New Kent (which took 11). Wonderin' didn't have him in the top 16, but Jon only won 2-0.

Dakota got a bad draw and had to open with Fauquier's Flourney, who was a AAA runner-up last year. Dakota started good, but got pinned.

C'burg has 3 losses so far.

All packed and headed that way ... I'll update from Salem around the start of the quarters.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Christiansburg leads Grundy by 1, 29-28, going into the Quarterfinals.

Grundy has 8 and Christiansburg has 7 in the Quarters.

Grundy still has 1 alive in the consolation rounds while Christiansburg has 2

Graham's Tanner Howell (160) advanced to the semis, thanks in part to an 11-7 first round upset of Region I champion Peter Ornsby of Chancellor. Howell will have his hands full this morning as he faces Hidden Valley's David Williams, who will be playing football for the U.S. Naval Academy this Fall. Williams beat Ornsby 2-0 last year for 3rd place at 145 pounds.

Other SWD wrestlers with a spot in the semis are Tazewell's Cody Wilson (125), who faces Turner Ashby's Luke Kiser this morning, and Marion's Zeb Rhodes (215), who upset Region I champion Tyler Deane of Eastern View in the first round with a pin in 5:23. Rhodes will face Salem's Jake Semones, who came in 5th last year at 215.

Semi-final action gets underway at 9:30, with the championship finals set for 6:30 p.m.

so...how are the odds stacking up for Grundy Elliot? what do you think?

Good day for Buchanan County, Grundy has a very good shot at winning state and Hurley made the BDD tourny Finals in Basketball ( I know a district tourny championship is nothing compared to state) But good luck Grundy! And go Hurley!

112 : Sean Van Dyke vs. Soph. Jeff Ogburn, Poquoson

In last year's 103 finals, Neal Kennedy (Blacksburg) dec. Ogburn 4-3.

Ogburn was supposed to have met Dakota in the morning semis after beating Kraft in the quarters.

119 : Jeremy Hurley vs. Sr. Gage Swartz, James Wood

Swartz was the Reg. II champ 2 years ago and lost to VanDyke 8-6 in the quarters. He came back to finish 3rd, behind Sean & Devin.

Last year, he missed states after suffering a dislocated elbow in the Reg. II 112-pound semifinals.

135 : John Dot vs. Zach Epperly.

Barnburner.

'nuff said.

140 : Ethan Owens vs. C T Talevi, Cave Spring

C.T. lost 2 close matches to Poq. last year, then beat Ethan by default for 5th.

145 : Cody Rife vs. Trevor Walker, Skyline

In last year's 140 finals, Aaron Wilson (Abingdon) dec. Trev 5-0.

Walker had beaten Luke Rakes in the quarters.

2 years ago, Walker finished 7th at 125. He lost to Zeb 5-2 in the quarters then was pinned by Riggleman in the consols.

160 : Tyler McClanahan vs. Wade Swede, Brentsville District

In last year's 160 finals, Wade lost to Derek Woody 7-0 after edging Hunter Cox 4-3 in the quarters.

2 years ago, he was 5th at 160

171 : Tanner McClanahan vs. Chris Junio, Tabb

Last year, Junio pinned Tanner in the quarters in 1:23, then lost to Willy in the semis and finished 5th.

We'll have our hands full, and I wouldn't be surprised if we drop to 2nd. I think (hope?) the consol. matches will be where the title is decided.

Yeah... I see C'burg winning 4, if not all 5 in the morning, with 3 pins, and just a dec. is worth 11 points, so I give them 50-61.

With an 8 pt. lead, we'd need at least 42. 4 decisions is 44.

I was telling Crigger tonight that Dot's match is HUGE ... that'll be a 22 point swing for 1 of us.

My humble opinion for what it's worth the winner team wise will be which ever team wins the 135 and 140 matches, if Grundy beats the Epperly brothers they will win the tourny those 2 weights have been the difference maker everytime they wrestle each other. The winner of 135 semifinal may very well win the team title for their school barring any upsets along the way

top 5 after day 1, with score, c'ship guys & consol. guys

AA

75.5 Grundy 7,2

67.5 C'burg 5.3

55.5 Fauquier 4,2

51 New Kent 3,3

37 Brookville 2,3

37 Millbrook 2,1

A

64 Glenvar 6,1

60 Galax 4,2

59 Strasburg 4,3