Edited by Beamerball

Group A Results

D2 boys

Lebanon 62 Radford 61

Buckingham 73 Middlesex 65 (2 OT)

James River 69 Honaker 48

Dan River 48 Essex 45

Semifinals, Friday

Buckingham County vs. Lebanon, 10:30 a.m.

James River vs. Dan River , 12:15 p.m.

Finals, Saturday

Semifinal winners, 5 p.m.

D2 girls

George Mason 70 Northhampton 19

Chilhowie 48 J.J. Kelly 43

Lancaster 85 Buckingham County 45

Lee High 62 Glenvar 54

Semifinals, Thursday

George Mason vs. Chilhowie, 7 p.m.

Lancaster vs. Lee High, 9 p.m.

Finals, Saturday

Semifinal winners, 3 p.m.

D1 boys

Madison County 71 Surry County 58

Castlewood 46 Galax 44

Appalachia 38 Eastern Montgomery 33

Altavista 56 West Point 44

Semifinals, Thursday

Madison County vs. Castlewood, 1 p.m.

Appalachia vs. Altavista, 5 p.m.

Finals, Friday

Semifinal winners, 3:45 p.m.

D1 girls

Surry County 60 Altavista 48

Riverheads 54 West Point 31

Ervinton 66 Bland County 46

J.I. Burton 49 Narrows 33

Semifinals, Thursday

J.I. Burton vs. Riverheads, 11 a.m.

Ervinton vs. Surry County, 3 p.m.

Finals, Friday

Semifinal winners, 2 p.m.

So this is basically meaning, Hurley was a half court shot at the buzzer for halftime and a overtime loss by 3 points away for a chance at the state final 4 lol

I am pulling for Appy all the way on this one!

If, If, If, If...but we didnt hit that half-court shot did we...

Apparently you wasent at the game, we didn't hit the shot, Appy did. If Appy hadent made that "freak" shot we "could" have been the one on our way to the state final four.

And all I am doing is supporting my home town team, sry everyone gets all pissy over it haha

Im sorry, you are right, I was not at the game. And I support them too, but there are so many teams around here that could say what if over the years...not trying to be mean, but we lost...thats all there is to say about it! Wish we would not have, but we did.

Im sorry, you are right, I was not at the game. And I support them too, but there are so many teams around here that could say what if over the years...not trying to be mean, but we lost...thats all there is to say about it! Wish we would not have, but we did.

I understand the "what if" and "But: aspect of it. I am just biased to my home town team. I guess really what I mean is Hurley nearly beat a Senior dominated state Final Four team with a bunch of soph. So the next couple of years look bright for the Rebels :D

The reason Appy is in the Final Four isnt because of any of their seniors....Stuart may be the best guard in SWVA. If I remember correctly, he is a junior? Could be wrong on that tho.

He may be, but last I checked one player doesn't make a team. Twin Valley has arguably the best player in this side of the state in A or AA in smith, and he couldn't do it all for them.

I agree with you completely mapper, in that the next few years look very bright for the rebels! I am excited for it, I understand what you are saying now, but Twin Valley can play the what if game too, lets say Shortridge doesnt have season ending knee surgery, does that make an impact? Yes. I know you do not think much about him, but the kid was a baller and a leader, and they missed that big time, obviously. That is one of the examples of when I said the "what if" game. But I am pumped about the rebels future, and I hope for a final four appearance! Go rebels!

One player can make a HUGE difference on a team. In Division 1, one player CAN pretty much make a team in some cases. Maybe not 100%, but pretty close in some cases.

I agree with you in the aspect of losing a star player, it can affect the teams moral and then they can go all to heck. But I don't think one player can make a team go all the way to state, and if he did then he will be in the NBA someday. I don't understand how you can say one player makes up a team? If you can argue Josh Smith (and how great of a player he is) and Twin Valley still barely make it out of the cellar in the district.

And no not becasue of D-1 ball either, D-1 for the majority has better teams around here, with the exception of Lebanon, Gate City, and Powell Valley. D-1 has Castlewood, Hurley, Saint Paul, Appy, Twin Valley, Burton, Holston (well they used to be).

Josh Smith is a 6'1 post player. Thats why he has trouble being a one man team. Stuart has the ball in his hands whenever he wants it and can take over a game. D1 has a LOT to do with it because of the number of kids and the overall pool of kids to choose from. If you have a kid that is a STUD, you can ride him very very very far in the playoffs. The lower the class, the easier it is to rely on one player.

Josh Smith is a 6'1 post player. Thats why he has trouble being a one man team. Stuart has the ball in his hands whenever he wants it and can take over a game. D1 has a LOT to do with it because of the number of kids and the overall pool of kids to choose from. If you have a kid that is a STUD, you can ride him very very very far in the playoffs. The lower the class, the easier it is to rely on one player.

6'1 or not Josh still had over 1,000 points and 1,000 career rebounds in his career. That is something Forrest Stuart will not accomplish, so how can Forrest be the "All Mighty" when it comes to making his team the best in this side of the state? I would rather have Smith on my team any day, Smith is the definition of basketball star. Smith can get you 30+ and 15+ Rebounds any night. Forrest can give you 20+ and maybe 5 or 6 assist any night ( which is very good I must add) but does not even compare to Smith.

You may have a better pool of numbers to choose from, but for the most part D-1 is the best in this side of the state, Girls or boys.

You just arent using common sense now. Josh Smith is a GREAT player. No doubt. But when matched up against a 6'6 or 6'7 post with SKILLS, he faces many more challenges than a dominant guard would. Josh Smith needs the ball in the post. Double the post or deny the entry and how much harder does that make it? A dominant guard is going to have the ball in his hands regardless. He is going to be in an easier position to make plays. Josh Smith makes his presence felt from 13 ft and Forrest Stuart makes his presence felt from the time Appy throws the ball in bounds. Thats why I feel like he makes the bigger impact.

You just arent using common sense now. Josh Smith is a GREAT player. No doubt. But when matched up against a 6'6 or 6'7 post with SKILLS, he faces many more challenges than a dominant guard would. Josh Smith needs the ball in the post. Double the post or deny the entry and how much harder does that make it? A dominant guard is going to have the ball in his hands regardless. He is going to be in an easier position to make plays. Josh Smith makes his presence felt from 13 ft and Forrest Stuart makes his presence felt from the time Appy throws the ball in bounds. Thats why I feel like he makes the bigger impact.

I just can't agree with that, I have seen smith play bigger guys. And the numbers just don't lie. I have seen both play, and Forrest is a great player but I would have to go with Smith.

lets see smith go up against henderson from Cave Spring, and you will know exactaly what Grundy10 is saying.

I would say he would have a better chance of holding is own against him than would Forrest. Forrest is a lanky guard, Smith is a stalky Forward that is very much stronger than most of his opponents. Even though I know Forrest would not be matched up against him, but you guys just seem bent on not accepting the fact that Josh Smith is possibly one of the best basketball players from Buchanan County ever lol

Edited by mapper

I agree with both you wavefan and Reb-Man. But I personally would rather have the blue collar player on my team. Both are great players, but sometimes I don't agree with Smith's attitude and style, but he is relentless when it comes to ball. But good luck with both in the future.