Will Cannabis be legalized?

the watcher

Should it be?

Should it? Yeah, probably. Especially considering that alcohol is more harmful if consumed in excess, both short-term and long-term. Will it? Still too much of a social stigma against it. Give it 15 years, let some of the Congressmen die out (sad to say, but it's the truth), then we might see some new drug classifications.

Of course, then you have the moral argument about having those who have consumed illegal drugs lessening the penalties on them (inmates ruling the jailhouse), but that's a whole other story.

Sorta along the lines of what Observer said, I think if alcohol is legal, so should marijuana. Do I use either? No; never have, never will. Do I accept the use of either by anyone, for any reason? No, I don't. However, I believe if alcohol, which can/does cause immediate harm, long-term problems, and destroy lives, and is completely legal, accepted, and often encouraged to be used, why shouldn't marijuana?

I believe if alcohol, which can/does cause immediate harm, long-term problems, and destroy lives, and is completely legal, accepted, and often encouraged to be used, why shouldn't marijuana?

I wouldn't quite use that argument to make my case. The same could be said about cocaine or crystal meth. I'm not saying I'm for or against, but this sounds more like an argument against.

I wouldn't quite use that argument to make my case. The same could be said about cocaine or crystal meth. I'm not saying I'm for or against, but this sounds more like an argument against.

Cocaine and meth are in a different ballpark than marijuana/alcohol, IMO. It takes far less of those two substances to cause major short-term and long-term damage than marijuana/alcohol. Also, those two are much more expensive and far less available than marijuana/alcohol.

Just for the record, I very seldom drink and have never done illegal drugs the first time. But being in law school, you're exposed to people who have ALL THE TIME. Both criminals and lawyers/law students.

Cocaine and meth are in a different ballpark than marijuana/alcohol, IMO. It takes far less of those two substances to cause major short-term and long-term damage than marijuana/alcohol. Also, those two are much more expensive and far less available than marijuana/alcohol.

Just for the record, I very seldom drink and have never done illegal drugs the first time. But being in law school, you're exposed to people who have ALL THE TIME. Both criminals and lawyers/law students.

I agree. I was using it an extreme example. My point was I wouldn't have used the above argument to state my case. The argument was since alcohol is legal, and it causes much harm, why not legalize MJ? Even if I was for legalization, I wouldn't use that as an argument.

If it were made legal, it would probably throw a huge wrench into the transportation of illegal drugs across the border. The Mexican Drug Cartels would essentially find themselves without a lot of customers, after all folks would begin manufacturing it themselves without fear of litigation.

Legalization would also allow the federal government another opportunity to introduce regulation and gain control over another area, which would increase tax revenue as well as create another government bureaucracy.

I am opposed to the use of it and the manufacture of it as well, however, I am an advocate of individual liberty, this is one of the issues that make being a libertarian and a Christian a hard pill to swallow. Kind of hard to balance both on this issue.

Currently, it can be manufactured for medicinal purposes in California. There are several being making a very nice living by producing medical marijuana. There are even some WAL-MART type Canabis stores popping up, complete with a full line of products, information and even "experts" on hand to explain and instruct on the growth of marijuana.

I'm just saying that the two are one in the same. If one substance is legal and often encouraged that leads to much harm (alcohol), why shouldn't another substance be legal that does the same thing (marijuana)? I just have never understood why marjiuana is illegal when alcohol use is encouraged and often downplayed in our society. The same can go for cigarettes.

Bear in mind, I am not necessarily for the legalization of marijuana. However, I say "necessarily" because I don't see why it couldn't be done if alcohol is legal.

I find some of the statements on this thread shocking, in that some of you I would call Republican leaning are taking the stance that the inclusion of a new legal commodity is a good thing becuse of the tax revenues it would generate?

What about a new commodity for what it really is, a new commerical opportunity. Stop taking the position of new or increased taxation being a good thing!!! That thinking is not healthy for the economy or the citizens of this nation.

I find some of the statements on this thread shocking, in that some of you I would call Republican leaning are taking the stance that the inclusion of a new legal commodity is a good thing becuse of the tax revenues it would generate?

If you are refering to me as "Republican leaning", then you don't quite know me as well as you though you did...:D

Also, as I stated, if it is taxed properly...I'm all for it since I won't be using it and thus not having to pay taxes on it....

Also, as I stated, if it is taxed properly...I'm all for it since I won't be using it and thus not having to pay taxes on it....

That's the same attitude you had when the federal government was strip mining the profits from the cigarette industry. Now that fast food is the target of every "do-gooder" organization, I would think that your attitude would be quite different, considering that every dollar taken from your organization is one less dollar for wages and raises and that it drives away customers due to increased prices.

i highly doubt it could be legalized considering the big insurance lobbies would rail against it. the fact that the length of time the hooch stays in your system is so much longer than booze. work comp and auto liability carriers would be denying every claim filed because of the failed pee test.

What about a new commodity for what it really is, a new commerical opportunity. Stop taking the position of new or increased taxation being a good thing!!! That thinking is not healthy for the economy or the citizens of this nation.

New and increased taxation is a WONDERFUL thing, unless you subscribe to the position that money grows on trees and that Santa Claus has the authority to manufacture it. Otherwise, we're on the Highway to Bankruptcy.

That's the same attitude you had when the federal government was strip mining the profits from the cigarette industry. Now that fast food is the target of every "do-gooder" organization, I would think that your attitude would be quite different, considering that every dollar taken from your organization is one less dollar for wages and raises and that it drives away customers due to increased prices.

But if they legalize pot, everyone will have the munchies and our business will increase...its a win/win situation...:D

New and increased taxation is a WONDERFUL thing, unless you subscribe to the position that money grows on trees and that Santa Claus has the authority to manufacture it. Otherwise, we're on the Highway to Bankruptcy.

I subscribe to the fact that money is produced by the two United States Mints. by order of the Deptartment of the Treasury. As for your second statement, our looming bankruptcy

is the result of overspending, not a lack of tax receipts at the federal level ($2.674 trillion in 2007 in income taxes alone, the newest information I could find.)

I subscribe to the fact that money is produced by the two United States Mints. by order of the Deptartment of the Treasury. As for your second statement, our looming bankruptcy

is the result of overspending, not a lack of tax receipts at the federal level ($2.674 trillion in 2007 in income taxes alone, the newest information I could find.)

I subscribe to the fact that there isn't ANYTHING to back this money with. Typically, good economies back their currency with something besides hopes and pipe dreams. So when runaway inflation hits us like a ton of bricks (see: Russia), I won't say "I told you so".

I subscribe to the fact that there isn't ANYTHING to back this money with. Typically, good economies back their currency with something besides hopes and pipe dreams. So when runaway inflation hits us like a ton of bricks (see: Russia), I won't say "I told you so".

I didn't mean to inject the opinion that I am a weak dollar guy, I'm not. My point is that spending, not lack of tax receipts, is the root of our governments deficit problems.