Tazewell 22 Graham 0

GMan

http://bdtonline.com/localsports/x563618788/Bulldogs-pound-G-Men

Bulldogs pound G-Men

Staff reports Bluefield Daily Telegraph

TAZEWELL, Va. — Mike Wood allowed one hit and struck out 12, and Tazewell thumped Graham 22-0 in a five-inning Southwest District game on Tuesday night at Lou Peery Field.

Ryan Hankins got Tazewell on the board in the first inning with a two-run home run. He also had a double, single and drove in six runs.

Zac Wasilewski had a triple, two singles and six RBIs, while Matt Kincer had three hits and scored three runs. Blake Hash contributed two hits and also scored three runs.

Matt Morgan had Graham’s lone hit in the fourth inning.

Tazewell (2-5) will host Liberty-Raleigh in the Coppinger Invitational on Saturday at 3:30 p.m. Graham (1-3-1, 0-3) will play Oak Hill in the Coppinger on the same afternoon at Bowen Field. First pitch is slated for 6 p.m.

at Lou Peery Field

Graham....000 00 — 0 1 4

Tazewell..24(10) 6x — 22 18 0

WP—Wood. LP-Morgan. HR—Hankins (1st, 1 on).

It begs to question...just how bad are Bluefield (Graham beat them) and Pulaski Co. (tied due to darkness)??? I mean, when you get throttled by Grundy, the writing is on the wall...sort of like...

&i=besign5.jpg

It begs to question...just how bad are Bluefield (Graham beat them) and Pulaski Co. (tied due to darkness)??? I mean, when you get throttled by Grundy, the writing is on the wall...sort of like...

Pulaski Co. beat Tazewell twice in a DH in Pulaski last saturday. Mercy rule in the first game and a walk off single to win by a run in the second game.

That comes with having very little talent, as much as I hate to say it. Fundamentally, they are not very good. They are woefully short on pitching. They don't have many sticks in the lineup. I'm afraid this year won't get any better. I don't foresee a district win. It's sad to see. I wish it were better, but it's reality.

Grundy's 8-3 (2-2)...

Wasn't meaning to take anything away from a much improved Grundy team, just pointing out the lack of improvement/competitiveness of Graham baseball...

In Graham's defense....they are very young...didn't even field j.v. last season...(my nephew plays)..give them a break...everybody talking crap about them is of little help to the team.

Tazewell is just a good team, same for Richlands (for schools their size)...

Also, many of Graham's good baseball players over the past few years...seem to end up at Tazewell....

Another thing....kids in Bluefield are more interested in playing soccer these days...go over to East River Soccer Complex...and see about 6 games going in spring and fall all day long....not nearly as much participation in baseball.

If you want baseball to improve in Bluefield, VA....don't look at the High School Coach...by the time they reach him, it's too late...

Go out and get involved with Rec League...and some of you "couch" hall of famers can teach the kids the fundamentals they need when they get to high school....it's very difficult to coach the fundamentals when they get to that level....

In Graham's defense....they are very young...didn't even field j.v. last season...(my nephew plays)..give them a break...everybody talking crap about them is of little help to the team.

Tazewell is just a good team, same for Richlands (for schools their size)...

Also, many of Graham's good baseball players over the past few years...seem to end up at Tazewell....

Another thing....kids in Bluefield are more interested in playing soccer these days...go over to East River Soccer Complex...and see about 6 games going in spring and fall all day long....not nearly as much participation in baseball.

If you want baseball to improve in Bluefield, VA....don't look at the High School Coach...by the time they reach him, it's too late...

Go out and get involved with Rec League...and some of you "couch" hall of famers can teach the kids the fundamentals they need when they get to high school....it's very difficult to coach the fundamentals when they get to that level....

Unless this team has never seen a baseball before, losing 18-0 and 22-0 isn't a "talent" thing. It's not a "fundamentals" thing. It's a "PRIDE" thing. Having played baseball at Graham before, I've been on the raw end of some of those lopsided defeats. I guarantee you, without exception, those teams did not have pride in what they did. They didn't have the fortitude to stand up and say "you know what, we're sick of getting beaten like a freaking drum". How do I know? I've been blessed to be on some woefully talent-deficient teams who DID take pride in the work that they did. And you know what's funny? They didn't get slaughtered by 15+. Sure, they lost their fair share, and there were growing pains. But there was GROWING. And I didn't see a single newspaper article proclaiming "the reemergence" of something that wasn't even close. That's what gets my goad, more than anything. Different TALK, same PRIDE. Until this team looks inside and stands up for itself, the blowouts will keep on a-comin'.

And I think you're entirely off-base in saying that no blame should be placed on the high school coaches. Yes, there is a grievous breakdown in teaching the game of baseball in the Bluefield, VA Little League system, especially between ages 12-14. However, it's not like the young men are incapable of learning ANYTHING, as you're trying to preach. We're talking about young men who are between the ages of 14-18. Do they not learn fundamentals in high school football? Same for basketball/AAU? To assert otherwise in baseball is flatly ridiculous. Sure, they won't reach the level of their peers who have had more training. But they can definitely close the gap with some nose-to-the-grindstone work. The gap's not closing. I'm not saying that they are not trying, as they definitely are, and I know that this coaching staff is particularly young, so there is work to do. But they have a long row to hoe...

I would probably be coaching little league in Bluefield, actually. I love the game of baseball, I love teaching it, and I love being part of the lives of young men and women, to help them become not only stronger players, but stronger people. But I'm not in VA anymore; I'm in PA, where there are MANY teachers of the game more capable than I. But let's not strain our hammies by dismounting our moral high-horse, now...

Edited by UVAObserver

Unless this team has never seen a baseball before, losing 18-0 and 22-0 isn't a "talent" thing. It's not a "fundamentals" thing. It's a "PRIDE" thing. Having played baseball at Graham before, I've been on the raw end of some of those lopsided defeats. I guarantee you, without exception, those teams did not have pride in what they did. They didn't have the fortitude to stand up and say "you know what, we're sick of getting beaten like a freaking drum". How do I know? I've been blessed to be on some woefully talent-deficient teams who DID take pride in the work that they did. And you know what's funny? They didn't get slaughtered by 15+. Sure, they lost their fair share, and there were growing pains. But there was GROWING. And I didn't see a single newspaper article proclaiming "the reemergence" of something that wasn't even close. That's what gets my goad, more than anything. Different TALK, same PRIDE. Until this team looks inside and stands up for itself, the blowouts will keep on a-comin'.

And I think you're entirely off-base in saying that no blame should be placed on the high school coaches. Yes, there is a grievous breakdown in teaching the game of baseball in the Bluefield, VA Little League system, especially between ages 12-14. However, it's not like the young men are incapable of learning ANYTHING, as you're trying to preach. We're talking about young men who are between the ages of 14-18. Do they not learn fundamentals in high school football? Same for basketball/AAU? To assert otherwise in baseball is flatly ridiculous. Sure, they won't reach the level of their peers who have had more training. But they can definitely close the gap with some nose-to-the-grindstone work. The gap's not closing. I'm not saying that they are not trying, as they definitely are, and I know that this coaching staff is particularly young, so there is work to do. But they have a long row to hoe...

I would probably be coaching little league in Bluefield, actually. I love the game of baseball, I love teaching it, and I love being part of the lives of young men and women, to help them become not only stronger players, but stronger people. But I'm not in VA anymore; I'm in PA, where there are MANY teachers of the game more capable than I. But let's not strain our hammies by dismounting our moral high-horse, now...

I'm not saying entirely no blame should be placed on high school coaches...but our rec leagues could use a lot more help and a lot more support. Bluefield, VA seems to be doing just fine economically....there should be more pride in the school and more support of things like rec leagues, baseball and football included. It's flat out embarassing to see the facilities at the High School compared to other schools and the amount of support for the kids in the community pales in comparison to other localities.

I realize Tazewell County Schools doesn't have a lot of resources, but there are plenty of people in Bluefield with plenty of money that could help out.

I'm not saying entirely no blame should be placed on high school coaches...but our rec leagues could use a lot more help and a lot more support. Bluefield, VA seems to be doing just fine economically....there should be more pride in the school and more support of things like rec leagues, baseball and football included. It's flat out embarassing to see the facilities at the High School compared to other schools and the amount of support for the kids in the community pales in comparison to other localities.

I realize Tazewell County Schools doesn't have a lot of resources, but there are plenty of people in Bluefield with plenty of money that could help out.

I agree, that the facilities for use for Graham baseball are embarrassing compared to the rest of SWVA, much less the district. And I agree that the Little League/Rec League programs need help in the worst way.