VT's Maroon-White game...

GMan

Maroon wins 16-0.

Same old Stinespring offense...granted TT was in a yellow jersey and Ryan Williams did not play.

The D is going to be OK...lack of depth in certain positions may be the only weakness.

Kicking game is in deep doo-doo....

TT didn't show much. Had a couple of good runs that could have been better had it not been for the yellow jersey. Threw a couple of good pass late in the first half...only played one half. Logan Thomas looked good running and throwing the ball...had a few balls dropped or he would have had a great day...that is, until he "yacked" on the 30 yard line in the 3rd Q. JuJu didn't have a great day...did make a couple of good runs when no one was open. Ricardo Young...threw some nice passes, threw some ducks. Trey Gresh...good arm and looked comfortable out there...too bad he's buried and will never see time on the field at VT. Will Cole...not so much...three plays: fumbled snap recovered by Cole; a nice pass to Boykin into double coverage...Boykin almost made a great catch but there was D PI called on the play; third play, sack-fumble-turnover. Danny Coale looked good but dropped a couple. Tony Gregory looked the best of all the RBs that played today.

The D didn't look too bad. As I said, there are thin at a few positions which could cause major concern should the injury bug pop up. No one really stood out but several players made some good plays. The DBs are the strength of the D...good depth and versatility back there.

Doesn't look like anybody wants to be "the man" in the kicking department...no clear "leader" yet.

I'm amazed at the number of young players on the Spring roster...68 R-So. or younger of the 110 players (including those that are injured) that were listed in the program.

http://hamptonroads.com/blogs/kyle-tucker

Spring Football, Vol. 32 (Spring Game Stats and Reaction edition) ...

Much more later, but here’s the raw data from Virginia Tech’s spring football game and head coach Frank Beamer’s assessment of the day and all of spring practice ...

RUSHING: Tony Gregory 10-37 and 1 TD; David Wilson 4-17; Ju-Ju Clayton 2-17; Darren Evans 5-8; Adam Dyer 1-7; Logan Thomas 5-5; Tyrod Taylor 4-4; Kenny Younger 1-1; Joey Phillips 1-1; Kenny Lewis Jr. 9-(-2).

PASSING: Tyrod Taylor 4 of 8 for 76 yards; Trey Gresh 4 of 7 for 50 yards; Ju-Ju Clayton 5 of 13 for 46 yards and 1 INT; Logan Thomas 6 of 12 for 34 yards and 1 TD; Ricardo Young 2 of 4 for 15 yards.

RECEIVING: Jarrett Boykin 3-50; Xavier Boyce 3-43; Andre Smith 2-30; Dyrell Roberts 2-29; Danny Coale 3-29 and 1 TD; Ben Barber 2-21; Eric Martin 1-20; Nubian Peak 1-5; Marcus Davis 3-0; Tony Gregory 1-(-6).

DEFENSIVE LEADERS: Jack Tyler 6 tackles; Tyrel Wilson 5 tackles, 1 for loss, 1 sack, 1 forced fumble; Bruce Taylor 5 tackles, 1.5 for loss; Quillie Odom 5 tackles, 1 for loss; Joe Jones 5 tackles, 2 for loss; Eddie Whitley 5 tackles, 1 for loss, 1 INT, 1 break-up; Steven Friday 4 tackles, 3 for loss, 2 sacks; Antone Exum 4 tackles, 3 pass break-ups; Jacob Sykes 4 tackles, 0.5 for loss; Chase Williams 4 tackles, 1.5 for loss; James Gayle 3 tackles, 1.5 for loss, 1 sack; Tariq Edwards and J.R. Collins 1 tackle for loss each; Rashad Carmichael, Theron Norman, Jeron Gouveia-Winslow and Germond Oatneal 1 pass break-up each.

PUNTING: Brian Saunders 5-212 (long of 54, average of 42.4); Grant Bowden 1-41; Scott Demler 1-37.

FIELD GOALS: Justin Myer 0 for 1 (wide right, 35 yards).

KICKOFF RETURNS: Tony Gregory 2-57, Nubian Peak 1-23, Dyrell Roberts 2-38.

PUNT RETURNS: Jayron Hosley 2-10, Nubian Peak 2-7.

Now for the Big Whistle’s take on the day’s developments ...

COACH FRANK BEAMER

OPENING REMARKS: “I thought it was a good spring game. I thought the effort was good. I thought the hitting was good. I thought you see, when you lose two or three offensive linemen and then you try to play a spring game, you see the effects of those losses. You’ve got some guys that’s in there (on the second team line) that aren’t ready to be in there. But I think the good news about that is we expect those guys back in the fall and I think our offensive line continues to improve. I think we’re getting more athletic and we’re getting tougher all the time as a unit. Getting those guys back certainly will be good.”

ON THE FORMAT OF THE SPRING GAME, DIVIDING THE PLAYERS UP ONTO TWO TEAMS (WITH SOME FIRST-TEAMERS ON BOTH SIDES) AND PLAYING IT LIKE A REAL GAME: “You’ve got two choices. I like playing a game because I like kicking it and letting it happen as it happens as opposed to this offense vs. defense and you’ve got point systems and all that. I like playing games, because I’ve always said I think some people will kind of just step up. I thought a great example of that was Exum today. Antone has had a good spring, but sometimes he’s not as focused as you would like him. But I think he came out in a game-like situation and his mom in the stands – and about 41,000 (fans) ... a new record at Virginia Tech – and I thought he really stepped up. He made some plays (three break-ups) and covered some ground. Another guy was Tony Gregory. I think we have two really outstanding young backs in (Gregory and) Wilson. And Wilson has missed some this spring, doing track, but Gregory ... I’ve been impressed with him. He made a couple nice plays Wednesday in the scrimmage and he made a couple more today.”

ON WHETHER HE HAS NOW SETTLED ON A FIELD GOAL KICKER: “I think if we had to say right now, (Chris) Hazley would be our field goal guy and (Brian) Saunders would be our punter. We’ve got some good kickers coming in (as freshmen in the fall) and the competition will continue. But if I had to say, coming out of this, that’s the way I see it. I think (Justin) Myer would be our kickoff guy. He boomed one there today.”

ON THE POSSIBILITY OF WILSON REDSHIRTING: “We’re going to continue on. I think everybody needs to have as good a summer as they can conditioning, prepare yourself to play, and then let’s make a decision at the proper time. Because things can happen. Things happened at our tailback position in the preseason last year. I think it’s full-speed ahead and we’ll make the decision at the proper time.”

ON THE PERFORMANCE OF BACKUP QB LOGAN THOMAS: “And Logan wasn’t feeling well there at the end (he threw up on the field in the fourth quarter). I thought he did some good things. I think both of them have good poise about the position. Both of them do some good things. I think we’ve got to sit down and say, ‘OK, who gives us the best opportunity to win?’ We’re going to study this video hard and go back and look at what happened all during spring practice. I’m not sure we’re going to make a decision, but I think we’ll be further along with our decision.”

ON FORMER STAR MICHAEL VICK’S RETURN TO BLACKSBURG FOR THE FIRST TIME IN FIVE YEARS: “Well, I think Michael’s trying to do things right. I know he understands he made a terrible mistake and he’s trying to do everything exactly right to make it better. I’m for him. What I know about Michael Vick is that he’s a good person. He’s caring. ... And he’s trying like heck to get his life back in order. I’ve told him, and this is what I believe, ‘You’ve got a great story to tell. You had a lot and you lost a lot and you made some bad decisions that affected your life, and now you’re trying to get it back.’ And how many young people can he help telling his story? Make a difference in the world and help those young guys. But you’ve got to be an example of that. You’ve got to be an example of, ‘It went wrong, but now I’m getting it right.’ ”

ON WHERE HE THINKS RB DARREN EVANS IS NOW COMING BACK FROM HIS KNEE INJURY: “I thought he ran hard, particularly today. He’s doing good. He’ll get better all the time. I don’t worry about Darren Evans. You kind of know what he’s made of and you know his heart. The stats (low yards per carry) kind of go back to the offensive linemen being hurt. ... That’s the other thing with the spring game: when you start mixing your offensive linemen ... kids that are used to working together and now they’re working beside another guy, it really does affect timing. So sometimes it’s not a real clean game. But I think in the big picture ... I don’t worry a bit about Darren Evans being ready to roll there next fall.”

ON THE PERFORMANCE OF THE DEFENSE, WITH SIX STARTERS TO REPLACE, THIS SPRING: “I thought they were pretty tough for the most part (today). A couple breakdowns, but they played hard. ... I think the key thing for us is all the young personnel that we’ve got on defense, how much progress they make between now and next fall with (strength) coach (Mike) Gentry and studying video. Getting stronger, bigger, faster, quicker, I think that’s the key issue right now.”

ON, FOR A SECOND STRAIGHT SPRING GAME, COMBINING A BIG RECRUITING WEEKEND WITH THE RETURN OF SEVERAL FORMER HOKIES WHO ARE IN THE NFL NOW AND THE THINKING BEHIND IT AND IMPACT IT HAS: “Well, I think No. 1, we’re getting more and more NFL guys. And I really like them coming back. We’re really proud of what they accomplished here, what they’ve accomplished in the NFL. I like that the fact that they’re proud of Virginia Tech and want to come back and be a part of this. So I think it works two ways there. Then, it’s just no question that our program has been good for a while ... the winningest program in the ACC since we joined it. Out of the six years we’ve been there, we’ve been the highest-ranked team, in the Associated Press at the end of the year, five out of the six years. On a national level ... since the BCS was started, we’re fourth on the list in BCS appearances. I think there’s Southern Cal, Oklahoma and Ohio State being the other three. (I stopped him to ask if he had this all prepared.) I’ve made that speech about three times today ... so I had it ready. But there’s no question this program has been good. When that’s good, it goes back to the players. Good players play in the NFL, and you hope those young guys looking on can see that this is an avenue that they can get a great education and get to the NFL.”

ON THE EMERGENCE OF D-END STEVEN FRIDAY, WHO HAD EIGHT SACKS IN SCRIMMAGES THIS SPRING, INCLUDING A SAFETY TODAY: “I think it’s his time. He’s played hard. He’s played fast. Being at that position for a while, I think he understands it a little bit better. I’d like to see him get just five or six or seven pounds heavier. But you’ve noticed the guy. There are certain guys when you’re watching a scrimmage ... they just kind of keep jumping out at you. And his speed off the edge there has become a factor. That’s something we’ve always had – one guy or two guys who’s been pretty good at that. I think he could be a guy like that this fall.”

ON HAVING FIVE PLAYERS – WORILDS, CHANCELLOR, WANG, BOWDEN AND GRIMM – SELECTED IN THIS WEEKEND’S DRAFT: “With the draft, you’re happy for the ones who got drafted and then there’s some more that you feel like should have gotten drafted. Sometimes, in reality, as it gets around the late, seventh round, they’re probably better off not getting drafted and being able to go somewhere as a free agent. But you know, I’m happy for them (the draftees). We preach from Day 1 that you better have a backup plan. This day, some guys started out the day – or started out this year – thinking they’d get drafted and didn’t. And a couple, or one, like Cody Grimm ... who no one thought he would, did. Things change, so the bottom line is you better get your education and hope you make it to the NFL.”

How did the D-Line look? If there's a weak link in your defense, I think that's it.

Well, that's really a good question since the O-Line, due to injuries, is as much a question mark as the D-Line. I'd have to give the advantage to the D-Line today. They got good penetration and, more or less, stuffed the running game for a good part of the day. The D was also able to get good pressure on all the the QBs. The only issue is lack of depth/experience on the D-line but it did not show today. But...may be that the O-line is still the weak link...

A few comments on the game; Gregory showed surprising quickness, he managed to juke a few guys out of their jocks. Tweedy impressed me on his blitzes and had a few nice hits. Thomas actually yakked into a garbage can right before kick-off, the funny thing was that the Equipment Manager walked over an threw a cup away in the can as Thomas was hurling and never paused to check on the guy.

I was listening to a player on the field after the game and he said that Logan woke up sick today and he threw up a lot in the locker room before the game.

Im proud of him fighting through it and playing well today.

I thought it was him but the announcer kept calling him trey gresh

Yep, noticed that too...Gresh was #16 on the White team...the one who was slinging it like he knew what he was doing...

How did Austin Fuller do ?

Honestly, I never even noticed if he was in the game...same with Stanton...once they start putting in the deep subs you kinda miss out on them if they aren't part of the action of the play.