Students Kicked Off Campus for Wearing American Flag Tees

Can you imagine what would happen if a group of Hispanic students were forced to do this if the situation was reversed? Unbelievable.

On any other day at Live Oak High School in Morgan Hill, Daniel Galli and his four friends would not even be noticed for wearing T-shirts with the American flag. But Cinco de Mayo is not any typical day especially on a campus with a large Mexican American student population.

Galli says he and his friends were sitting at a table during brunch break when the vice principal asked two of the boys to remove American flag bandannas that they wearing on their heads and for the others to turn their American flag T-shirts inside out. When they refused, the boys were ordered to go to the principal's office.

"They said we could wear it on any other day," Daniel Galli said, "but today is sensitive to Mexican-Americans because it's supposed to be their holiday so we were not allowed to wear it today."

The boys said the administrators called their T-shirts "incendiary" that would lead to fights on campus.

Read more here

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local-beat/Students-Wearing-American-Flag-Shirts-Sent-Home-92945969.html

Edited by blueinbama

That is stupid, how ignorant. I know the most likely reason the 5 kids done this was to be defiant on a Mexican Holiday and most likely would not have done this on any other day. But so what, this is America and we should be able to wear our flag any day of the year. Hmm wonder if the school lowered the American flag and stored it away that day also?

Are they serious??? Offended by seeing an American flag in an AMERICAN school?????

Weeeeeellllll if the poor little Mexicans don't like it, they can get their asses the hell out of this country!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by bhs7695

Are they serious??? Offended by seeing an American flag in an AMERICAN school?????

Weeeeeellllll if the poor little Mexicans don't like it, they can get their asses the hell out of this country!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This attitude is what makes people hate Americans. Have fun being another stereotypical redneck, douchebag.

These kids who wore the flags were trying to start something. They weren't being patriotic or proud of their country. They were walking into their school looking for trouble and they got it. Now it's leading to complaints? Give me a break.

Sounds like the kids were trying to start a little crap in my mind.

If 4 mexican kids wore tshirts with Mexican flags on them on the 4th of July. Wouldnt we be pissed?

Well this is America, a little bit of a difference there. I get so sick of this political correct bullcrap. So you are saying students shouldn`t be able to wear an American flag shirt anytime?

This attitude is what makes people hate Americans. Have fun being another stereotypical redneck, douchebag.

These kids who wore the flags were trying to start something. They weren't being patriotic or proud of their country. They were walking into their school looking for trouble and they got it. Now it's leading to complaints? Give me a break.

"You heard it first here on CNN."

If these students had given this some thought they could have diffused the whole situation by embracing their American friends. What a great photo op.

Headlines:

Hispanic and American students celebrate Cinco de Mayo in harmony!

But that's too reasonable.

far too reasonable. which is why their motives have been questioned...understanding that their actions may be viewed as incendiary or trying to start something, they could have simply said i mean no disrespect to your culture, i am simply proud of my nation.

All one of them was doing was wearing an Old Navy t-shirt!!! Grow up!!

Tell me this, if you are an exchange student with a bunch of other American students in France and you see someone wearing a t-shirt with a French flag on it, do you think the administrators are going to tell those kids to change their shirts and are you going to say that you are offended by seeing the kids wearing clothes that show the French flag????

I agree the kids probably wanted to prove a point, but since when is the RIGHT to express your views uncalled for?

The very fact that you are associating the wearing of an American Flag on a shirt as "looking for trouble," is proof enough that we have a MAJOR problem in this country!

Jutice is supposed to be blind, no matter how you look at it the rights of these students was violated, regardless of how many folks it offended. To be perfectly honest I am offended by the constant left wing rhetoric that preaches tolerance and then gets all hypocritical and intolerant of dissenting views and opinions. Whether you like it or not, these students had every right to wear an American flag t-shirt, it's called freedom of expression.

I don't like it when people protest things that I support, but I respect their right to disagree. The problem here is the radical left doesn't see things that way.

This is not a holiday that is directly associated with our country, however, I understand that there are citizens in this country that are from Mexico and I respect their right to celebrate this day.

Boy, I sure hope Al Sharpton comes to defend these kids and their 1st Amendment rights...

If 4 mexican kids wore tshirts with Mexican flags on them on the 4th of July. Wouldnt we be pissed?

I wouldn't be pissed. I could care less what they wore on July 4th. I sure as hell wouldn't tell them I'm offended be seeing it!!

What I have a problem with is someone from another nationality telling me they are offended by seeing me wear a t-shirt with a U.S. flag on it or that happens to be the colors of the U.S. while they are within the U.S. borders!!

I agree the kids probably wanted to prove a point, but since when is the RIGHT to express your views uncalled for?

The very fact that you are associating the wearing of an American Flag on a shirt as "looking for trouble," is proof enough that we have a MAJOR problem in this country!

Well said. It's called freedom of expression. Where is the outrage when some idiot burns the Stars and Stripes? Oh, that's ok, because they're exercising their right to freedom of speech by showing their disdain for this country. But when a group of teenagers exercise their freedom of speech by wearing clothing sporting the American flag on Cinco de Mayo, they're labeled troublemakers. Give ME a break!

Edited by blueinbama

Wearing a shirt with an American flag is not "looking for trouble." Organizing a group of people to wear America flag shirts, bandanas, etc. on a Mexican holiday in a school largely populated by Mexicans is.

Wearing a shirt with an American flag is not "looking for trouble." Organizing a group of people to wear America flag shirts, bandanas, etc. on a Mexican holiday in a school largely populated by Mexicans is.

I don't think these kids were trying to make trouble, but I do agree they were making a statement. And they have every right to do that.

Stay tuned...let's see what the Hispanic population of this school does on the 4th of July. This might get even more interesting. Then again we probably won't hear a word about it if 100 kids show up wearing Mexican flag t-shirts.

If i was in mexico and it was the 4th of July no way would i get upset. But since this happend in the United States i do not see your point this is our country that was our flag I am sure the kids just did it to get attention or whatever but to get upset over them wearing the flag in the country that flag represents i see no problem. Like i said it would be different if it had happend in mexico but it happend in the United States.

What you aren't understanding is that this has nothing to do with making a statement or patriotism or freedom of speech/expression. These kids walked into their high school with a high Mexican population on a Mexican holiday with American flag shirts, bandanas, and shoes. Not just one kid, but five. You're telling me those kids didn't all sit together with this idea and not think "Something is gonna happen" or "This could cause something"?

I'm sure if they, as a group, wore the American flag clothing on any other day it wouldn't have been a big deal. However, they planned for it to be on a Mexican holiday and to wear it to their school that has a high Mexican population. And you're telling me that not a single one of them was looking for trouble?

This isn't a political or criminal matter. To say they have the right to make a statement is true, however, when it comes to looking out for the safety of all parties involved, the school has the right and did the right thing by approaching these boys. In all honesty, I'm suprised the kids lasted until 10am without a fight being started.

I'm sorry, did I miss the part of the story that said they're Mexican immigrants? As far as I'm concerned, they're Americans too and were probably born in this country.

It seems like you're under the impression that "true" Americans are the only ones that belong in this country, and anybody else who lives in the country should be treated accordingly after us.

Seriously, Nobody ever answered my question. If 4 Mexican-American students wore tshirts with a Mexican flag on it during school on the 4th of July, people would be upset about it. The door swings both ways dude. But since we're "true" Americans we don't have to apply to the same rules as they do, and we can do as we please.

By the way, was your entire family, dating back to the 1600's born in North America? I didn't think so. Therefore we're all pretty much immigrants.

Edited by bluefieldRocks

GetMoney55

this has nothing to do with making a statement

So you're saying they did it just to get beat up, or worse? Come on GetMoney. That makes absolutely no sense. They were making a statement, plain and simple. And that had the right to do so. And if I had to guess I would say that they would have been ignored by most of the students. Nothing had happened by 10 a.m. because nothing was going to happen. These were not "tough guys" trying to start trouble. Did you watch the video? These guys were very passive in nature. Matthew, one of the guys wearing red white and blue, is part Hispanic. When the school administration stepped in and made a big deal out of it is when the press got involved, and the stink hit the fan, and not until. A few students expressed in the video that they thought it was disrespectful, but nobody was raising hell and causing a scene about this at all. If this had happened in a predominantly white high school in reverse order, it would have been a non issue.

Edited by blueinbama

Maybe you wouldnt be pissed about it bhs7695, but honestly, do you think nobody would be upset about it?

I don't have a problem at all with immigrants in this country or if they were born in this country. My great grandparents were immigrants and I would bet they didn't raise hell over the customs or images they saw after they came to the U.S.

My problem, as I stated before, is they have no right to be offended by an American flag while they attend an American school no matter what day it is! If they don't want to see it, then they can go elsewhere. No where did I read where these kids were deliberately taunting the Latino kids by wearing those shirts.

Rocks, I don't think most civil people would have a problem seeing the Mexican flag on July 4th. Granted, there are idiots out there that will cause problems, but most I think would be fine with it as long as they weren't being taunted about it.

So this is sayin, Gay hating Church Extremist can protest at soldiers funerals stating gays are the reason for dead american soldiers. Knowing they are there to cause heartache and missery. But A kid cant wear an American shirt to prove a point or prank?????

i think you're also missing another key part of this story: it happened at school. public school administrators are not concerned primarily with upholding constitutional rights. hell, they send kids home for equally small things that cause far less backlash every day.

so, i would say that if gay hating church extremists burned a flag at school, then they'd get detention just the same as these kids.

i think you're also missing another key part of this story: it happened at school. public school administrators are not concerned primarily with upholding constitutional rights. hell, they send kids home for equally small things that cause far less backlash every day.

so, i would say that if gay hating church extremists burned a flag at school, then they'd get detention just the same as these kids.

It's not that schools aren't concerned with upholding constitutional rights, just that schools have virtually "in loco parentis" status when they care for children during the day. Thus, they are given many of the liberties of parents, most of the time.