Students Kicked Off Campus for Wearing American Flag Tees

What you aren't understanding is that this has nothing to do with making a statement or patriotism or freedom of speech/expression. These kids walked into their high school with a high Mexican population on a Mexican holiday with American flag shirts, bandanas, and shoes. Not just one kid, but five. You're telling me those kids didn't all sit together with this idea and not think "Something is gonna happen" or "This could cause something"?

I'm sure if they, as a group, wore the American flag clothing on any other day it wouldn't have been a big deal. However, they planned for it to be on a Mexican holiday and to wear it to their school that has a high Mexican population. And you're telling me that not a single one of them was looking for trouble?

This isn't a political or criminal matter. To say they have the right to make a statement is true, however, when it comes to looking out for the safety of all parties involved, the school has the right and did the right thing by approaching these boys. In all honesty, I'm suprised the kids lasted until 10am without a fight being started.

How did the 5 students with the American Flag T-shirts violate the rights of the other students? How?

what you are failing to realize is that IF a fight had started who was going to protect these kids from the majority of Hispanic students? You are implying here that the angry mob would have retaliated against the other 5 students simply for expressing their views.

If that is the case, the problem does not lie with those that wore the t-shirts it lies with those that would resort to violence because they disagreed with the t-shirts. This is the elephant in the room, that nobody is looking at....

This is what is wrong with PC in this country, whether these kids were "looking for trouble," or not, does not exclude them from their right to express themselves, plain and simple! Spin it anyway you want, they have just as much right to wear their t-shirts as the others do to celebrate cinco de mayo, just because their views may SEEM inciteful, does not mean that the other group has the right to resort to violence! Justice is bliind, a right is a right, when we start making exceptions to the rule, our rights cease to be rights...........

Edited by bucfan64

It's not that schools aren't concerned with upholding constitutional rights, just that schools have virtually "in loco parentis" status when they care for children during the day. Thus, they are given many of the liberties of parents, most of the time.

Bingo.

I have refrained from commenting on stupid kids seeking attention and administrators overreacting.

How did the 5 students with the American Flag T-shirts violate the rights of the other students? How?

what you are failing to realize is that IF a fight had started who was going to protect these kids from the majority of Hispanic students? You are implying here that the angry mob would have retaliated against the other 5 students simply for expressing their views.

If that is the case, the problem does not lie with those that wore the t-shirts it lies with those that would resort to violence because they disagreed with the t-shirts. This is the elephant in the room, that nobody is looking at....

This is what is wrong with PC in this country, whether these kids were "looking for trouble," or not, does not exclude them from their right to express themselves, plain and simple! Spin it anyway you want, they have just as much right to wear their t-shirts as the others do to celebrate cinco de mayo, just because their views may SEEM inciteful, does not mean that the other group has the right to resort to violence! Justice is bliind, a right is a right, when we start making exceptions to the rule, our rights cease to be rights...........

I agree 100 percent, all some are worried about are offending people.

When you have a threat of violence, you take care of it. These kids wearing these shirts presented an opportunity for violence to erupt. I understand the students have the right to wear whatever shirts they want. I understand they have a right to express themselves. I understand that it would be irresponsible of offended students to act in a violent way. However, I understand that their right to express themselves could have resulted in very bad actions. The 5 students wearing American flag apparel on a Mexican holiday to their highly Mexican populated school presented a problem that could result in some very bad actions. So, the school took care of it.

Would you have rather them let the kids walk around their school all day until someone of Mexican heritage finally snapped? Would you have rather let the harsh feelings of certain individual build until something terrible happen? Would you rather let these students "express themselves" with the clear consequence of danger being present?

As an administrator, you do what you have to do for the safety of your school and students. They saw that these shirts the students were wearing presented a clear opportunity for the safety of the students as well as others to be jeopardized. If nothing was done and the kids ended up jumped or worse, I'm positive you all would be like "Well why didn't the administration protect these kids from the horrible Mexicans!? The school isn't doing enough for the safety of its students!" The adminstration did what it had to do for the betterment of the safety of its students. Plain and simple.

More backlash over the American flag in an American public school.

http://toddstarnes.com/?p=559

Teacher Deems American Flag ‘Offensive’

The battle over the American flag has reached a middle school art class in California’s Santa Rita School District where a student was told not to draw Old Glory because it was “offensive,” while another student was praised for drawing a picture of President Obama.

Tracy Hathaway, of Salinas, CA, told FOX News Radio her 13-year-old daughter was ordered to stop drawing the American flag and start another project at Gavilan View Middle School.

“She had drawn the flag and was sketching the letters, ‘God bless America,’ when the teacher confronted her,” Hathaway told FOX. “She said, ‘You can’t draw that – that’s offensive.’”

Even more striking, another student in the same art class drew a picture of President Obama and was praised by the teacher.

“The picture of Barack Obama was in red, white and blue hues,” Hathaway said. “ The teacher said it was great. But when it comes to the flag – all of a sudden it was offensive?”

Hathaway said she took her concerns to the principal – and he was “floored” and apologized for what happened. He arranged a meeting with the Hathaways and the teacher.

“My husband point-blank asked her what she found offensive about the picture – the American flag or the words, ‘God Bless America,’” she said. “The teacher didn’t say a word.”

Hathaway said she was especially concerned that a picture of President Obama was praised yet a picture of the American flag was deemed offensive.

“That showed where she stood in the political spectrum,” she said “But this was not a political class. This was not a religious class. This was an art class. “

“My daughter wasn’t trying to break any rules and she wasn’t trying to create a scene,” she said. “She was just expressing her view and saying this is America and I want God to bless it.”

Mike Brusa, the superintendent of schools, told FOX in a written statement that he had contacted the principal and that the issue “was taken care of to their (the parent’s) satisfaction.”

“The school administration and the parents did not view this as significant enough to bring it to the superintendent’s office,” he wrote.

However, Hathaway said her daughter has yet to receive an apology – and in fact – the teacher told the girl that she should not have gotten her parents involved in the matter.

“My daughter felt like her rights were being trampled on – she was doing what she thought was right.” she said. “It’s disturbing. It really is disturbing. When I was in junior high we didn’t have a lot of the problems they are having now. We were allowed to speak our mind. It’s absolutely devastating for me. Last time I looked, this is America. This is still a free country.”

You can say whatever you want, but those kids who had on the American flag tshirts were doing nothing more but being little pricks.

You think those kids wear those shirts maybe once a month? twice a month? That's probably the first time in months they've worn those shirts. Like I said, just trying to start drama and get attention, like mentioned above, little pricks.

Guest burt66

We are Americans, We respect other countries but in America which I fought for and our believes to HELL with you POLITCAL BASTARDS

“She had drawn the flag and was sketching the letters, ‘God bless America,’ when the teacher confronted her,†Hathaway told FOX. “She said, ‘You can’t draw that – that’s offensive.’â€

Even more striking, another student in the same art class drew a picture of President Obama and was praised by the teacher.

“The picture of Barack Obama was in red, white and blue hues,†Hathaway said. “ The teacher said it was great. But when it comes to the flag – all of a sudden it was offensive?â€

Hathaway said she took her concerns to the principal – and he was “floored†and apologized for what happened. He arranged a meeting with the Hathaways and the teacher.

“My husband point-blank asked her what she found offensive about the picture – the American flag or the words, ‘God Bless America,’†she said. “The teacher didn’t say a word.â€

Are you guys who are taking the stance against these boys paying attention? Do you see what's happening here? Do you not care that the rights of these kids are being taken away by the actions of these administrators? Are we using the excuse of "protecting" these kids as a means to support a political agenda? Our schools are filled with muticultural children who have the right to express themselves. Red, Yellow, Black, Brown or White, they have that right because this is America. None of this is about protecting anyone. What you are witnessing is a stance by the liberal political machine to smother anything related to patriotism, anything supporting the American Flag, anything supporting the great country that our forefathers fought and gave their lives to protect. Allowing this kind of censorship in our schools is the first step to losing our freedom of speech. If you support this, you are blindly helping to lead this country into the hands of those who want to destroy America and all that she stands for. Hopefully one day you will wake up and smell the coffee.

Edited by blueinbama

i wholeheartedly agree, this is ridiculous. what i don't get is how you're connecting this teacher's indefensible actions and overt shame/disdain for her own nation to a political agenda...

"those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither" (ben franklin). what is happening to our country when the rights of every goof ball in the world are recognized , except for the few who appreciate and defend our freedom.

i wholeheartedly agree, this is ridiculous. what i don't get is how you're connecting this teacher's indefensible actions and overt shame/disdain for her own nation to a political agenda...

I'm assuming you did read the quote above. The teacher praised the Obama painting (in red white and blue hues) but called the painting of the American flag offensive. That in itself is political. You don't see that?

"those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither" (ben franklin). what is happening to our country when the rights of every goof ball in the world are recognized , except for the few who appreciate and defend our freedom.

Awesome Ben Franklin quote, and spot on!

This is not the United States of the Offended!

Rights are being violated plain and simple, whether you think the kids are being mean or whatever, they have the RIGHT to wear that t-shirt regardless of who is offended!