George Wythe 5, Marion 0

VivaFutbol

Tale of two fields. Marion couldn't handle a larger field in which they couldn't keep their defense in tight. Scott x2, Hagey, Smith, Semones get the goals. GW opened scoring 1:20 into the game and never looked back.

Yes Marion got spanked. And yes the field was probably a factor, but Marion did not have their best offensive player and another starter, lost another one early in the game, and another in the 2nd half, all due to injuries. I;m just saying it's not just the field (what are the measurements anyway?) But GW did outplay them all around. Marion had very few chances on goal, while GW had all sorts of good opportunities and capitalized on, well, 5 of them. Congrats to GW, now you've tied the season series. Good luck on the rest of the season.

George Wythe was without All State Midfielder Brandon Atwell as well as starters Robert Herndon and Tyler Atwood. What was 17s injury? Achilles was my initial thought. And I know our field is 120 yards long. I'm thinking 55 wide maybe?

I believe they play better without atwell and they play better when they are not complaining about the refs. They played well last night and you could tell the injuries hurt Marion a lot. Good Luck on the rest of the season.

GW has a much higher level of talent than Marion, no doubt about it. Plus they wanted it much more last night to avenge their loss (only one for the season?). Marion has to play their best to compete with the better teams, and make the most of their few offensive opportunities and yes, maybe get breaks going their way sometimes. Their goalkeeper has his moments, but this is his first year of ever playing soccer (a senior) and it shows sometimes, though he has improved each game (maybe last night was a little step down, though all the credit goes to GW). The first game he started ever was against Dobyns-Bennet! I think 17 had a bad ankle sprain or worse.

As for soccer field sizes, I found this on Soccerwebsit.org:

The width shall not be more than 80 yards (73.15M) nor less than 65 yards (59.44m) and the length shall not be more than 120 yards (109.72m) nor less than 110 yards (100.58m); however, fields of less than minimal dimensions may be used by prior written mutual consent of the competing institutions. The optimum size is 75 yards (68.58m) by 120 yards (109.73m).

ha...marion's field is hardly 75 yards LONG, so i don't think you should start pointing fingers.

Its pretty bad when goalies can possibly score on a punt because the field is so short at marion, marion's field is by far the worst in the district. as far as VHSL rules regarding it the mimimal size is right around the size of a football field, not exactly but close. don't hold me to that though

the VHSL rule on field size is 80 to 120 yards long by 50 to 80 yards wide.

As for GW's attack, The attack against Marion the other day was by far the best I have seen this year. For the most part there was no complaining about the calls they just played soccer. GW does not have better players then Marion. The two teams are just headed in different directions. GW is playing well and looks good as a team. Marion has injuries on top of injuries. I hate it for them because their program has a good history, but do not worry they will be back. Also the goalie from GW almost kicked it 70 yards in the air and made an assist with that kick. It was a awesome play. We will see in Regions if Atwell makes a difference.