WOW! Umpire costs pitcher a perfect game!

BigD4VT

Armando Gallaraga of the Detroit Tigers just had a perfect game with two outs in the 9th but the umpire missed the call on what should have been the final out... Runner was out by a step. The replay leaves no doubt. Would have been the 3rd perfect game this year.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea im about done with baseball until they can do something about these umpires that think the people paid to see them and the umps that just miss something as bad as this one was missed i could have understood a close call or something but he was no were near safe just a all around bad call.

It turned my stomach to watch him to continue to jaw with the first baseman after the call. I hope that now that he has seen the replay he goes personally to Gallarage to apologize.

It turned my stomach to watch him to continue to jaw with the first baseman after the call. I hope that now that he has seen the replay he goes personally to Gallarage to apologize.

oh my gosh you wanting a ump to say he made a bad call if that happens i suggest we all get something to keep our pigs from flying around hahaha.

oh my gosh you wanting a ump to say he made a bad call if that happens i suggest we all get something to keep our pigs from flying around hahaha.

It has happened. If it does, the media will never hear about it. I admit that it is rarer than a politician admitting he is in the pocket of lobbyists.

Armando Gallaraga of the Detroit Tigers just had a perfect game with two outs in the 9th but the umpire missed the call on what should have been the final out... Runner was out by a step. The replay leaves no doubt. Would have been the 3rd perfect game this year.

Let us all remember this incident as the one which ushered in the Instant Replay era in Major League Baseball. Honestly, other than Selig pulling a "Pine Tar Game" and overruling the call, there's no precedent for Selig changing the call (which he could do). I'd put about a 1% chance on this call getting reversed.

However, what the Tigers' scorers COULD do, is change the scoring on the play to an E1, and still credit him with the no-hitter. The scorer has up to 24 hours to submit such a change. But I'll always remember this as the 21st perfect game.

OK, I saw where the ump said he blew it, but what was the reason he did?

Did he think the throw was late?

I know umps make that call based on hearing the "thump" before the runner gets there, but a sno-cone doesn't thump.

Or was it becasuse he saw a bobble? I don't watch enough to know if that woulda been safe or out by an avg. ump.

Yeah, the scorer could say the runner reached based because the ball wasn't secured properly by the fielder, so E-1.

I think MLB will take a major hit if Selig doesn't overturn it.

I know umps make that call based on hearing the "thump" before the runner gets there, but a sno-cone doesn't thump.

Or was it becasuse he saw a bobble? I don't watch enough to know if that woulda been safe or out by an avg. ump.

Yeah, the scorer could say the runner reached based because the ball wasn't secured properly by the fielder, so E-1.

Joyce thought that the runner beat the throw.

And here's another perspective on it, from Curt Schilling. Honest, and a pretty good read: http://espn.go.com/mlb/notebook/_/page/bbtn100603/baseball-tonight-clubhouse.

This is horrible. How many pitchers have thrown perfect games? 20, out of the thousands of games that have been played. I couldn't even imagine being in that pitchers shoes, knowing he had that taken away from him by a blown call.

The official scorer said on MLB Network that the ball wasn't bobbled, so there is no error on the play.

The umpire was also interviewed on MLB Network and it's obvious he feels like dirt. He knows it was the most historically important call of his career and he blew it.

Sad to see a perfect game blown because of a bad call. 8 and 2/3 of perfection wasted because of this call. The least they could do is change it to an E1 and give him the no hitter. Could this be the year of the pitcher with 2 legit perfect games and this one and a no hitter too.

I hope it is the year of the pitcher! I hope it's the beginning of a new era where pitching and defense dominate and offenses have to learn to play small ball again.

Lance you are an idiot. But seriously at full speed this was a close play and do not forget that the guy is human. Most of you that are complaining have never been a umpire or a ref. so get off the couch and try to do it sometime.

But seriously at full speed this was a close play and do not forget that the guy is human. Most of you that are complaining have never been a umpire or a ref. so get off the couch and try to do it sometime.

I agree with most of this.

Give the guy a break. Have you heard Joyce's interviews? He was practically in tears, and I truly feel sorry for the poor guy. He's only human, and he messed up. Umps make bad judgment calls all the time; it's part of the game. They have to call it like they see it, and sometimes they're just off. Unfortunately for Jim, it happened at literally the worst time in the game of baseball. I do, however, think he handled it as well as he could. After watching the replay himself you could tell he was totally devastated, apologizing profusely and taking full blame which is not an easy thing to do at all.

I also commend Galarraga for his reaction too. There are some pitchers who would have absolutely flipped their SH!T on the umpire (myself included) in the heat of the moment if they were ever denied a perfect game because of a call like this. Looking back on it, Galarraga earned a TON of respect in my book for how he handled the situation.

But in closing, my buddy had a good point earlier about the whole situation. He said said that the only thing that making a huge deal about this will accomplish is further pushing instant replay onto the game of baseball, which to me at least really sucks.

As an old guy who has watched baseball for so long, I can remember Dizzy Dean calling "The Game of the Week," the thing that I am most impressed about was the way Gallaraga went back to work and took care of business. He kept his poise went out and got the 3rd out to preserve a 1-0 win.

That makes him a winner in my book.

This pitcher is an example of how we all would like to be..I know I myself would never be able to shake the hand of the umpire that stole a perfect game from me the very next day..

I respect Galarraga's poise out there, both last night and today.

He's won a fan for life with how he's acted during this whole scenario.

I know I wouldn't have acted as calmly. I'd have probably pulled a George Brett.

Lance you are an idiot. But seriously at full speed this was a close play and do not forget that the guy is human. Most of you that are complaining have never been a umpire or a ref. so get off the couch and try to do it sometime.

Have done it, thanks. And that call was OBVIOUS.