so who is coaching tazewell?

Lance

i agree...and this is the problem at Tazzy...they get a good coach and everyone expects state or its a bust...i like coach wyatt and i think he does and will continue to do a good job if they would leave him alone and let the guy do his job...he's got a good track record and knows what he is doing...he has to deal with a lot of parental crap and crying (from certain players as well) and thats the problem on that team...its not the coaching, its the parents and the others that are involved in the political side of Tazewell football...and that has been the problem for years.

shut up, stop worring about just Richlands and focus on the 9 other games you have to play, let the man coach and run the program, and start setting an example for your kids that builds a team and not a bunch of parents talking crap that divides the community...quit trying to run the guy off because you have a good coach and the next guy you get might play "your" kid every down, but not win a game.

Hit the nail here. He is so hated because he cannot beat Richlands, that is the measure of a good season in bulldog eyes.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, though, that the game should've been moved off that mud pit. I'm sure there had to be a different venue to play that game so that it could've been a home game for Grundy. Was there anything else available? And was there talk of moving it if there was something else? I know in Bluefield, it could hypothetically be played beside the high school.

But by the same token, a snow-covered field in 2002 helped you guys beat Graham. Graham was much more finesse and speed, and you guys were much slower but bigger and more powerful. Four yards and a cloud of snow that night. Dry field, Graham would've won by 2 scores. Dry field in 2005, Grundy probably wins by 30+. At least your situation could've been helped.

BTW, I love having these kind of discussions. Makes me reminisce. :)

-i think (not sure) that VA High tried to get it moved...how ironic is that? I know I begged for it to be moved, but who am I ya know? lol...I was told it was a home game that was earned and it wouldn't be moved unless the VHSL made them move it...and that was that.

-the game in 2002 was a frozen field, not snow covered...if anything it made it faster...there was no slipping and sliding going on...if you want to look at Marcum's highlight video, the last clip is him intercepting a pass and returning it 94 yards for a TD...he was a 9th grader. Luck, refs, and weather had nothing to do with that 2002 game...Grundy just flat out whipped them fair and square...and you can't take that away from them...when Marcum scored that TD to put them up 6-0 it sparked them and they all of the sudden said "we can win this" and they did...when a team with a good level of talent starts to think they can win a game everyone else thinks they have lost before it started, it's a dangerous thing to be playing/coaching against.

-i think (not sure) that VA High tried to get it moved...how ironic is that? I know I begged for it to be moved, but who am I ya know? lol...I was told it was a home game that was earned and it wouldn't be moved unless the VHSL made them move it...and that was that.

-the game in 2002 was a frozen field, not snow covered...if anything it made it faster...there was no slipping and sliding going on...if you want to look at Marcum's highlight video, the last clip is him intercepting a pass and returning it 94 yards for a TD...he was a 9th grader. Luck, refs, and weather had nothing to do with that 2002 game...Grundy just flat out whipped them fair and square...and you can't take that away from them...when Marcum scored that TD to put them up 6-0 it sparked them and they all of the sudden said "we can win this" and they did...when a team with a good level of talent starts to think they can win a game everyone else thinks they have lost before it started, it's a dangerous thing to be playing/coaching against.

That is ironic, that Virginia High wanted the game moved. But still, you think the AD at Grundy would've been smart enough to move it to somewhere else in the town of Grundy. A pee-wee field, SOMETHING that was in better shape than that field was in that night. Crazy how a field can just turn into a mud pit when November rolls around. Speaking of that...

Though I didn't play in that 2002 game, I had a chance to go down to the field afterward. I've walked through marsh that was firmer than the field at Mitchell that night. It rained in Bluefield the two days prior to that game (and heck, it rained pretty much nonstop that fall anyway), and it changed to snow Friday morning. By the time Friday night rolled around, there were 2 inches of snow on the field.

I'm not taking away anything from Grundy: the clock ran out, and it showed "Grundy-21, Graham-14". Graham couldn't make the plays when it needed to (dropping a 4th-down pass in the end zone right in the chest with :12 to go in the game, for example). Grundy outplayed Graham that night. But the conditions definitely favored Grundy. Even on a firm field, there's no traction when it's covered in snow. Even the scoring pace (not a lot of scoring) favored Grundy. There's a reason all the big snow games of SWVA lore are 6-0 (Graham-Tazewell), 3-0 (Bluefield-JM), etc.

I typically wouldn't remember a specific game with this much detail, but it was the last football game of my senior year. There's the old saying, you always remember your first and your last, and what's in between is a blur.

That is ironic, that Virginia High wanted the game moved. But still, you think the AD at Grundy would've been smart enough to move it to somewhere else in the town of Grundy. A pee-wee field, SOMETHING that was in better shape than that field was in that night. Crazy how a field can just turn into a mud pit when November rolls around. Speaking of that...

Though I didn't play in that 2002 game, I had a chance to go down to the field afterward. I've walked through marsh that was firmer than the field at Mitchell that night. It rained in Bluefield the two days prior to that game (and heck, it rained pretty much nonstop that fall anyway), and it changed to snow Friday morning. By the time Friday night rolled around, there were 2 inches of snow on the field.

I'm not taking away anything from Grundy: the clock ran out, and it showed "Grundy-21, Graham-14". Graham couldn't make the plays when it needed to (dropping a 4th-down pass in the end zone right in the chest with :12 to go in the game, for example). Grundy outplayed Graham that night. But the conditions definitely favored Grundy. Even on a firm field, there's no traction when it's covered in snow. Even the scoring pace (not a lot of scoring) favored Grundy. There's a reason all the big snow games of SWVA lore are 6-0 (Graham-Tazewell), 3-0 (Bluefield-JM), etc.

I typically wouldn't remember a specific game with this much detail, but it was the last football game of my senior year. There's the old saying, you always remember your first and your last, and what's in between is a blur.

-there are no other fields in Grundy...and the VHSL has a seating min. in place for playoff games, which is why there are visitor seats on the other side of the field at Grundy...otherwise it would be like it was in the old days and everyone would be sitting on the Grundy side. What should have happened is play it on the closest open field that was in good shape, regardless of who's it was...even if that meant playing at Va High...Grundy was clearly a better team and should have been able to play them anywhere on a clean field and beat them by 21 points on a bad night.

-I have the video of the graham game if you want it :) i went down there after the game...field was frozen...it was a bit muddy in places, but it was frozen...might have been slick but both teams played on the same field that night...bottom line is that it was a fair game and Grundy beat them straight up...no refs making bad calls...weather...whatever...Grundy just played its heart out and beat a GREAT Graham team that night....you can not in any way minimize that.

-when you get older you will just forget everything and not care lol.

The county is making a huge deal of out-of-area students?!? How can kids transfer? Do the rules apply to Richlands? I guess not!

Relax already! Its called free-well. There are rules in place. Last I checked, we can still make decisions that are best for each of us. If a kid wanted to transfer to THS would you have problems with it?

Relax already! Its called free-well. There are rules in place. Last I checked, we can still make decisions that are best for each of us. If a kid wanted to transfer to THS would you have problems with it?

Yeah I would!

Yeah right Nadoball!

Shouldn't be hard to figure the reason out!

Let me guess, b/c they wear the BLUE!!! Why is it that Tazewell people hate Richlands so bad. Don't get me wrong is the rival and Richlands people don't like Tazewell but you guys have a whole new meaning of hate towards the Blues.

maybe it is because Richlands fans think there teams are unbeatable every year

We are not unbeatable, if that were the case we would have won state. In terms of the regular season yeah we are pretty darn tough to beat.

We are not unbeatable, if that were the case we would have won state. In terms of the regular season yeah we are pretty darn tough to beat.

Richlands will lose to Tazewell this year!! If that Lockhart kid starts at QB.

You can tell its been a long off season when the Blues and dog fans are already at each other with still 77 days left till opening night of the season, then its still 6 weeks after that till they play.

Richlands will lose to Tazewell this year!! If that Lockhart kid starts at QB.

The only they will lose will be there QB's helemt rolling down the field, because if one of Tazewell gets a chance to hit him, it's going to be a good one to see....

I don't think, though, that it's crazy to gauge Region IV's performance based on Region III. If you assume with me that the semifinals represent the best in Region IV facing the best in Region III, that demolition Gretna laid on Tazewell doesn't speak highly for Region IV. Yes, Gretna called off the dogs midway through the 3rd quarter, but a 7-5 team should have more pride than to lay down and die like Tazewell did through 2.5 quarters.

Gretna "called off the dogs" midway through the third??? Tazewell "laid down and died through 2.5 quarters".

Uhh...you do know Tazewell pulled to within 28-21 in third quarter of that game right? Did you see the game?

The only they will lose will be there QB's helemt rolling down the field, because if one of Tazewell gets a chance to hit him, it's going to be a good one to see....

Right On!!!!!!! GO Dogs!!!!

Ha yea when big ol' shaq gets a hold of him. He's basically the only really good defensive player returning. Tazewell is young and probably won't have to great of a season if they don't bust their ass in the weight room this summer. They are just going to have to work!!!

This is one reason Tazewell will not win aginst the Blues this year. Instead of thinking about the game they will only be woried about putting a hit on one player.

This is one reason Tazewell will not win aginst the Blues this year. Instead of thinking about the game they will only be woried about putting a hit on one player.

And so it is!